Construction at Mosport | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Construction at Mosport

There's also May 28 with DOCC (open to all models) and 26-27 for European and American bikes.

so Mosport will be full of old dudes and brown people saturday and sunday mornings now?

On the plus side, you can change your oil on the front straight now..and dump the old stuff into the crapper..

I dunno, to me it seems like the sun has risen and set on a whole lot of different Canadian sports car series. Does CTCC even meet the definition of "popular"? This new one sounds expensive to compete in. I would be surprised if this lasts more than two years.

Edit: Just skimmed the rulebook ... good gravy the word "unrestricted" sure does appear in there a lot. Unrestricted engine internals?! That seems a little crazy to me.

Last edited:
The skepticism over the future of motorcycle events at Mosport stems from that the new owners of Mosport are most certainly "car guys", and even if that doesn't cause issues, the ownership group will certainly want a return on their recent substantial investment, which could raise costs to the point that lesser events (unfortunately, that includes the VRRA and track days) can no longer be viable. Time will tell.

As for that new series, if you think motorcycle racing is messed up in this country, try car racing.

I dunno, to me it seems like the sun has risen and set on a whole lot of different Canadian sports car series. Does CTCC even meet the definition of "popular"? This new one sounds expensive to compete in. I would be surprised if this lasts more than two years.QUOTE]

The CTCC is not new, the Supercar Series is. Come out to the first CTCC weekend this year (May 19th) and I guarantee that there will be more spectatators than at any recent Superbike event. Which will easliy put your question of popularity to bed.

The new series will be expensive no doubt, but there is a new class in CTCC called the "B spec" class. Open to Minis, Fiat 500, Mazda2, Toyota Yaris, etc. It's a spec class so performance mods are not permitted, only cat back exhaust, brake pads, brake lines, roll cage and seat, stuff like that.

CTCC is popular. The Can-Jam built pair of Versace STI's are something else, those are serious machines and people pay to come out to see those things in action. Mazda also has contingencies for running their cars in CTCC this year, so CTCC is surely growing in a positive way. Automobile sports will always be more popular than motorbikes, from Touring cars down to Auto cross. The new B spec class Rob is talking about is very cool and down the road some cheap used race cars will be popping up....fun fun

Is the B class what Mazda Canada is supporting with contingency programs for this year?

Not only th B spec class but all three classes in CTCC. Check it out... If all goes well I'll be driving one by mid season.

www.newswire.ca/en/story/919997/maz...contingency-programs-for-canadian-motorsports

Can't wait to see everything they've done at the track. I was speaking to the Mosport reps at the CME last weekend and of course they're positive but it'll be nice to see some welcomed changes at this great venue.

Last edited:
I dunno, to me it seems like the sun has risen and set on a whole lot of different Canadian sports car series. Does CTCC even meet the definition of "popular"? This new one sounds expensive to compete in. I would be surprised if this lasts more than two years.

The CTCC is not new, the Supercar Series is. Come out to the first CTCC weekend this year (May 19th) and I guarantee that there will be more spectatators than at any recent Superbike event. Which will easliy put your question of popularity to bed.

The new series will be expensive no doubt, but there is a new class in CTCC called the "B spec" class. Open to Minis, Fiat 500, Mazda2, Toyota Yaris, etc. It's a spec class so performance mods are not permitted, only cat back exhaust, brake pads, brake lines, roll cage and seat, stuff like that.

Right, I got that Supercar was the new series. I honestly didn't know that CTCC was popular, it crossed my desk recently and I was surprised - I hadn't heard of it before. That's sorta related to what I was getting at, though - I knew CTCC was a series with fairly modest classes, which in my opinion is a good thing! Keeps costs down, more teams will be able to compete, and sponsorship money has a chance of actually covering something. Supercar doesn't seem like any of that, likely to be dominated in its first season by one or two of the players with the largest buckets of cash, interspersed with entertaining moments of tearful rich dudes totalling their minimally prepped Porsche/Ferrari/etc. We'll see I guess.

I rode Mosport for the first time with DOCC back in May. I am not sure why, but I thought the whole thing was going to be repaved. Instead, there are still these monstrous concrete patches in all the corner exits. Most guys were picking lines that stayed inside or outside the patches. I did that too in many corners because the concrete seemed slippery, but didn't really like it - would much rather be able to choose my line using the whole track.

Loved the track otherwise. Too bad it can't have a single consistent surface.

I rode Mosport for the first time with DOCC back in May. I am not sure why, but I thought the whole thing was going to be repaved. Instead, there are still these monstrous concrete patches in all the corner exits. Most guys were picking lines that stayed inside or outside the patches. I did that too in many corners because the concrete seemed slippery, but didn't really like it - would much rather be able to choose my line using the whole track.

Just put the concrete patches out of your mind. They seem to grip fine although there is sometimes a slight transition between the surfaces where it is not perfectly even. The concrete really bothered me as well on my first trip there, but on my 2nd visit I just more or less ignored them. :) Obviously YMMV and I am not to be held responsible if you crash while riding on the concrete etc etc. Just stating my experiences there.

The track is used by cars 99% of the time. Those concrete areas would be waves the size of swells on Lake Ontario, if they were left asphalt, in the space of a couple of months.

The track is used by cars 99% of the time. Those concrete areas would be waves the size of swells on Lake Ontario, if they were left asphalt, in the space of a couple of months.

The fast cars actually rip the pavement up with their high cornering forces...I've seen Audi's going round Mosport in high 1:05s. That is seriously quick! The grip level is quite consistant..at least in the dry.

Back
Top Bottom