Newb just bent pedal shifter on Ninja 250R! Please help! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newb just bent pedal shifter on Ninja 250R! Please help!

B_dawg

My disclaimer: I just got my license this season, but was only able to ride regularly the last 4 weeks.

I dropped my bike...I was going too slowly taking a turn and...:sad:

The pedal shifter is bent, but it isn't hitting the rod however, but its more difficult to shift. I googled 'bent pedal shifters' and generally riders are split between torquing it back into place on the bike or taking it off. I tried the the former and I thought I'd damage the rod since it looks like to would give more easily, so I took off the pedal shifter.

Besides being a newb, I'm also a weakling. Not surprisingly, I can't bend it back. Seeing as I'm a 115 lbs girl, any easy way to re-bend my pedal shifter? Keep in mind I don't have access to a bench vise or a blow torch (Those were included in most of the suggestions I found). Better yet, who wants to fix it for me!?!?!?!

Thanks

They are pretty easy to bend back into shape when they are still on the bike. If it's off the bike I would probably use a rubber mallet to pound it flat again. You definitely don't need a blow torch. Even a regular hammer and a block of wood should work as long as you have something solid to bang it against. They are actually pretty soft metal.

It depends on how badly it is bent. If you bend it back into shape, it will be weakened - the more bending required, the weaker the metal will be. It is probably made out of aluminum, which means it could be quite weak. It is probably a better idea to get a new shifter pedal.

If you decide to straighten the bent pedal, I wouldn't advise doing it while it is mounted on the bike - you could damage the oil seal where the shaft goes into the engine casing.

It's crappy white metal, so it is indeed more brittle.

Wrap the pedal with a towel. With two pairs of vice grips, place one where it attaches to the bike to keep it from twisting at the attachment, with the other gently bend it back into place. It will bend easily. This is not dependent upon your sex/gender and/or weight. You are more than capable of doing this yourself.

Ask your facebook friends if they have a bench vise and some vise grips. Take the lucky winner out for dinner or takeout. ;)

It's crappy white metal, so it is indeed more brittle.

Wrap the pedal with a towel. With two pairs of vice grips, place one where it attaches to the bike to keep it from twisting at the attachment, with the other gently bend it back into place. It will bend easily. This is not dependent upon your sex/gender and/or weight. You are more than capable of doing this yourself.

Its steel

Ask your facebook friends if they have a bench vise and some vise grips. Take the lucky winner out for dinner or takeout. ;)

this ^^

Are you sure it's steel? My Ninja's pedal could be bent back. I can't see Kawi changing the materials between the Ninja 250 and 500.

My neighbor dropped his 250 while going down his driveway... His pedal bent as well. Easier to bend back while still on the bike for sure. I just made him hold the bike in place and I bent it back with my hands far enough that it wasn't hitting anything. I still can't believe that the metal was so soft that I could bend it back with my bare hands :p

My disclaimer: I just got my license this season, but was only able to ride regularly the last 4 weeks.

I dropped my bike...I was going too slowly taking a turn and...:sad:

The pedal shifter is bent, but it isn't hitting the rod however, but its more difficult to shift. I googled 'bent pedal shifters' and generally riders are split between torquing it back into place on the bike or taking it off. I tried the the former and I thought I'd damage the rod since it looks like to would give more easily, so I took off the pedal shifter.

Besides being a newb, I'm also a weakling. Not surprisingly, I can't bend it back. Seeing as I'm a 115 lbs girl, any easy way to re-bend my pedal shifter? Keep in mind I don't have access to a bench vise or a blow torch (Those were included in most of the suggestions I found). Better yet, who wants to fix it for me!?!?!?!

Thanks

Drop krashasaki a pm; he has fixed more 250's than anyone on this site. He will definitely be more than willing to lend a hand.

Its steel
+1

Was way stronger then I was expecting to bend back! I ended up doing it on the bike. I found a metal pipe that was large enough to slide over the entire thing, then while pushing at the pivot point with one hand and pulling on the pipe with the other I tried to minimize the force on the shaft/oil seal. Once I got it bent back out where it was supposed to be I locked a set of vice grips on the toe part of the shifter and twisted it back (the lever was pretty mashed from a drop on a gravel road, was next to the dead body in the ditch in Uxbridge/Wagg Rd).

Still rockin on my friends 250 without issues.

-Jamie M.

This is not dependent upon your sex/gender and/or weight. You are more than capable of doing this yourself.

<<translation>>
Can someone do this for me?

Hey OP, PM me pics (of yourself), I'll see what I can do. I'm 5'8 180lbs & fit. :rolleyes:

<<translation>>
Can someone do this for me?

Hey OP, PM me pics (of yourself), I'll see what I can do. I'm 5'8 180lbs & fit. :rolleyes:

Op - he looks nothing like his avatar!

Thanks for the help...I went to a local bike shop and they fixed it free of charge. I'll consider most of these suggestions if I bend the pedal shifter again...

Back
Top Bottom