The Beginner's Guide to Ontario Track Days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Beginner's Guide to Ontario Track Days

I would like to learn more,initially as a spectator. Can anyone share their experience(s)?

Thanks,

Thank you so much for this information. As a new rider this was extremely helpful and I look to hit the track very soon!

Here are all the maps I've been using for years.

The Shannonville maps were taken from the FAST riding school course material in 2000. The GBM maps came from their site and I made them outlines for coaching. Calabogie and CTMP maps came from their sites. The TMP map was created by Jamie (credit given in the item description) and I modified it to an outline for coaching also.

Thanks to Shaman for his insightful thoughts but a question if you please.

If a rider has no interest in racing but wants to safely increase his / her skills to above any level that might reasonably be expected on the street what sort of costs would be involved?

Assume the rider won't use their own bike due to coolant and other safety requirements. Plus who wants to risk their baby and face the wrath of their insurer.

Gear: Just as you can't be just a little bit pregnant you can't be just a little bit safe when you're pushing the limits while not knowing your own limits.

With street riding one can opt for light gear, Draggin Jeans, mesh etc but not for situations when you know you are going to be facing unknowns.

Rent gear but buy a Snell helmet? If it lasts you five years that's less than the price of a coffee a day. If you bonk it the first day and it saves your brain it's still a good deal.

Assuming the rider has a Snell lid and can rent all the other stuff, including bike, what would one expect to pay for the experience?

Anyone know if you are allowed to ride 2up at the track?

Also, which one of these radiator options would be best at the track 1) water 2) water+water wetter 3)Mocool ,you would need to change back to regular coolant before winter right?

Another question: do they sell gas at the shannonville track? I will be attending fast school and they mention that you will need to bring your own gas if on your own bike.

Aside from special circumstances, no passengers. For coolant 2 or 3 (same thing different name and colour) and it needs to "not freeze". How you achieve that is up to you. (Mine have heated storage.) Bring your own gas...if you are doing FAST on your own bike, a full tank at the beginning of the day should be more than enough. There are gas stations about 5 km from the track.

There will be lots going on at your first track. Michael Neeves from Motorcycle News tries to keeps it simple.
you can fastforward to 3:10

This is pure gold!

Last edited:
How stupid would someone look rolling into the begginer (green) track events on a 125? haha
Racer5 uses a fleet of CBR125s exclusively in their race school. They're a really good learning tool. And at their open VIP track day at CTMP (small RDT track) you will find folks on 125s in both green/novice and in yellow/intermediate groups. There aren't any long straights at RDT so the speed differential between a 125 and the bigger bikes isn't so great as to be a safety concern.

This might not hold true with other organizations or at other tracks. I'm thinking specifically of TMP which sounds like a yahoo-fest all the time (no personal experience). And the 'big' CTMP track which has a huge straightaway where the speed differential could be an issue.

Op you might be able to track your 125cc on the go cart track. check out

Slyvain Guintoli is currently the Suzuki MotoGP test rider
Slyvain videos are in both English and French!

Motovudu by Simon Crafar
Instruction/Tips/Techniques for Track riding only!

Click playlist and then click The Dark Art of Performance

Seasoned track riders/racer might enjoy
Motovuu - My Best Race (some of you favorite racer talking about their best race)

At the moment I am enjoying listening to Simon's Q&A sessions.

Reactions: Ash
Does anyone have recommendations for places offering instruction for people new to the track, and that offer full gear and bike rentals?

I looked at e.g Motorcycle Track Days in Ontario, Quebec and Canada but it’s not clear who offers rentals for either.

I am in the Toronto area.

Thanks!
Racer5 (Grand Bend)
FAST (Shannonville)
SuperSonic (various kart tracks)

You'll need your own helmet (Snell or ECE for Racer5 and FAST), but they all offer rentals for the rest of the gear

Racer5 (Grand Bend)
FAST (Shannonville)
SuperSonic (various kart tracks)

You'll need your own helmet (Snell or ECE for Racer5 and FAST), but they all offer rentals for the rest of the gear
The helmet also needs to be no older than 6 years. We do check dates at Racer5

Reactions: Ash

Back
Top Bottom