Looking for Winter Storage place | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Winter Storage place

If a few members on here wanna go splits on a place we can discuss that too.

I thought about the split idea for an underground parking in downtown Toronto and had posted it here last month. Apparently, a lot of people suggested that there could be insurance complications and I ended up renting out the parking to a lady at work who uses it during work hours from Mon to Fri.
That helps me to work on the bike over the weekends!

I thought about the split idea for an underground parking in downtown Toronto and had posted it here last month. Apparently, a lot of people suggested that there could be insurance complications and I ended up renting out the parking to a lady at work who uses it during work hours from Mon to Fri.
That helps me to work on the bike over the weekends!

Even that probably breaks some rules. Rather than elaborate I defer to your earlier thread.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...pot-with-2-other-motorcycles-downtown-Toronto

OP. I am in a commercial condo complex, near Hwy 7 and Yonge, they have units as small as 600 sq feet, most have double door openings rent would likely be about in the 700- 800, Plus heat and hydro, (but you could likely split the costs with 4 - 5 other guys and still have room to work on bikes, Store them at one end then as you want to work on it move to other end of unit. The lease says you must maintain heat at I believe 60 degrees, but when you arrive you could crank heat to make comfy, when no one is in unit you can set heat to say 55 to keep pipes etc from freezing, you would have access to shared washroom to wash up after done work, etc. Not sure what units or sizes may be available at this time. Most f the units are rented out to Persian rug guys who store excess inventory, only a few units where someone is there during work days. Place is deserted at night and on weekends..lol

Just a heads up. This thread is super old.

I'm not looking for any of these things anymore.

I will add that of all the options I tried, getting a storage unit and keeping the bike there and working on it whenever I wanted was by far the best option.

OP. I am in a commercial condo complex, near Hwy 7 and Yonge, they have units as small as 600 sq feet, most have double door openings rent would likely be about in the 700- 800, Plus heat and hydro, (but you could likely split the costs with 4 - 5 other guys and still have room to work on bikes, Store them at one end then as you want to work on it move to other end of unit. The lease says you must maintain heat at I believe 60 degrees, but when you arrive you could crank heat to make comfy, when no one is in unit you can set heat to say 55 to keep pipes etc from freezing, you would have access to shared washroom to wash up after done work, etc. Not sure what units or sizes may be available at this time. Most f the units are rented out to Persian rug guys who store excess inventory, only a few units where someone is there during work days. Place is deserted at night and on weekends..lol

Insurance nightmare.

I did the "friends come work at my place" thing. It works out only if you know them well (access) and insurance was pretty much null and void. No matter how we spun it. Affected my house insurance, bike insurance and car insurance (shared access). Their companies were going to drop them. In the end we did it for that one year, not worth my while to void everything to help out.

What happens when pipe freeze or bike leaks. Bike catches fire? Other bikes catch fire? Rug warehouse sounds like a fire trap.

Hey Crew!

Moto Revere has a "work on your bike" option for winter storage!
$200/ month with no term or contract. $25 to sign up which includes a free T shirt and MRBC pin.

We have heating, lifts, power outlets, free coffee, wifi, tools, power tools, a tire changer, an expert mechanic and everything else you should need to work on your bike.
Ride in and out all season long, work on your engine, full build, or just do your seasonal maintenance. It's up to you!

more details on our On-Site Storage option:
https://www.motorevere.com/pages/winter-storage

Not sure how you think it is an "insurance nightmare", I was suggesting to the OP to rent a unit with a few close friends, they could then ALL be on the lease, and they are responsible, (as a group), to obtain their own tenants insurance.

Firstly, the Persian rug units are spread out over the 4 buildings, so hardly a fire trap, the building is also constructed of cinder blocks and metal roof, the ONLY flammable stuff is contents. Most of the units also have fire protection, and alarms, (we get a deal as one of the other tenants is Fire Monitoring of Canada). I guess no businesses should ever locate in a building with other units, it MUST surely be a nightmare that keeps the owners up at nights, I have NO idea how anyone operate in a strip plaza, with nail places, (potentially toxic fumes and flammable liquids, or a dollar store with combustible crap from China. But thanks for the dooms day scenarios. As I said it was a suggestion apparently the OP has found alternatives.

Not even sure how a rented commercial unit with separate tenants insurance could affect your, bike, car and house insurance. You must have one crappy broker/insurer. I guess again business owners, must not have vehicle and house insurance once they occupy and insure a commercial property. Hasn't affected my insurance in the least.

Insurance nightmare.

I did the "friends come work at my place" thing. It works out only if you know them well (access) and insurance was pretty much null and void. No matter how we spun it. Affected my house insurance, bike insurance and car insurance (shared access). Their companies were going to drop them. In the end we did it for that one year, not worth my while to void everything to help out.

What happens when pipe freeze or bike leaks. Bike catches fire? Other bikes catch fire? Rug warehouse sounds like a fire trap.

Last edited:
Settle down, It was a response to infernos post of guy looking to rent out his personal garage space. You try spinning that to your insurance company. Mine didn't like that multiple bikes I do not own or cover with a shared access point in our garage. Must be a crappy company for sure

I'd hope your rental place has insurance to cover it, and you know specifically what will be covered in that policy .

This subject came up about two years ago. I looked into it as I'm retired and I thought it would be something to keep me busy.
The problems I encountered was renting the space and insurance.
Space anywhere in the city was prohibitive cost wise. To get space that was affordable meant going a long way out of town.
Unless you wanted to spend 700-800 dollars for the winter.
Insurance was the same.
Yes, you could ensure everyone had their own but if so much as a scratch appeared in the spring see you in court with legal bills etc. even if you won the case.
I passed on the idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom