Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 175 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

July 11th at GBM was great, really big turnout had us separated in 3 groups. A friend of mine had his first track day and had an absolute blast. His progression was great to see throughout the day. I also felt more comfortable and it was good to have a different new layout to get some diversity. Unfortunately I had my front brakes fail while braking mid-corner which forced me off track. I collected some grass on the fairings but kept the bike upright; super scary. A gentleman that was set up next to us luckily helped me out with the bike and we bled out the whole front system. After that, the brakes seemed to be back to where they should... My only guess would be is if I didn't have brake fluid in the reservoir and from the bike leaning it somehow managed to suck some air in.

I threw together a quick video taking snippets from different laps. I don't think I'm gonna use that style again. I think it's to busy to have multiple cuts in the same lap so next time I'll probably do just 1 angle/lap.
[video=youtube_share;B-3IxZd0x68]https://youtu.be/B-3IxZd0x68[/video]

Anyone interested in Thursday, July 27 or Monday, August 7 at SMP?
Thinking that might be good fun....

Considering bogie at the end of the month, the 27th is an option too. Likely wouldn't do Aug.7, last weekend day it was lunatic busy and SMP didn't cap the rider registration which they should have.

Considering bogie at the end of the month, the 27th is an option too. Likely wouldn't do Aug.7, last weekend day it was lunatic busy and SMP didn't cap the rider registration which they should have.

I might be Able to do bogie at end of august depending on cash flow, but end of this month is not a possibility....
August 7 being out probably is a good idea considering your previous experience there last long weekend.

I was originally looking at SMP for 27th but I reworked a few things and heading to Bogie for 30/31 this month instead. Moved my August Mosport Pro6 day to Bogie and then of course if going to drive there might as well add another day :)

Thinking about the 31/1st for bogie, but haven't made a decision on it yet

We'll see you guys at Bogie on the 30/31. Can't stay for August 1 due to other commitments. Can't wait - love Bogie!!

sorry 30/31, my mistake. I'll let you know

Decided to go to SMP on the 27th of July instead. Pro6 has a few days at the beginning of sept that I'll be looking at instead. Let me know if you guys are planning to go at that time or not, cheers.

Looks like you guys made the right call on this one...

We'll see you guys at Bogie on the 30/31. Can't stay for August 1 due to other commitments. Can't wait - love Bogie!!

Thursday only shows 1mm of rain and 27 degrees at Shannonville.

The forecast has been bopping around all over the place... one says 60% rain ending around 11am, another says different percentages and times...
Going to call SMP shortly and see if they're even running the day, due to potential low registration numbers - good chance the forecast has scared a ton of people off.

*Just off the phone... the office worker isn't in on Wednesdays, so nobody can give me a solid answer....

Last edited:
Randy and I had a great day at Shannonville yesterday...
The weather forecast was really sketchy, and it rained pretty much the entire drive there, but the motorcycle gods smiled on us and pushed the rain away. Sunny with cloudy periods all day, and it got up to 28c!
The track warmed up nicely in the sun, but the traction was a bit limited until some rubber was laid down. Overall it was a crashy kind of day - the recovery vehicle must have went out about 7-8 times throughout the day, but there wasn't anything serious and there wasn't any real down time.

About 6 people came by the pits and asked me "Who's that crazy F**cker on the white CBR that's pitted with you? Damn, he's fast!" Randy was in the zone and put on quite the display.

After my extreme cold tearing I had at GB, I lowered the psi of the Pirelli SC3 rear tire I had on. By the end of the day, all of the tearing was gone, and replaced by a really nice wear pattern - came off the track a few times and I could barely touch the tire when putting on the warmers due to the heat. Unfortunately, the right side of the tire was totally done by the last session. Once the depth markers were gone, the grip dropped like a stone. Second last session had it squirming around much more than before, and on the last session I cut it short because the tire skipped out 3 times, even under moderate corner drive (corners 4b, 7 and 14 coming onto the front straight).

Had a few good battles throughout the day... had tons of fun all said and done. Took some video on 2 sessions - unfortunately the wind noise is kind of annoying, but I'll see about posting something up in the near future.

Here's a bit of video from yesterday...
One thing I learned - I need to get a little more aggressive on passing. I wait far too long trying to make it too pretty.

[video=youtube_share;EYEd90p_pK8]http://youtu.be/EYEd90p_pK8[/video]

good pace! Some decent battles out there for sure!

Aug.8 @ GBM is the next one, anyone know what layout?

Paul said in another thread that they will have to decide on layout depending on another event happening the weekend before I think.

Hi everybody!

I've finally cracked and decided it's time for me to get a track bike. (Thanks for the constant prodding, Tim....)
But, since I've only really ever had sports touring, and the odd cruiser, I don't know where to start. Any suggestions for a good track bike to break me in gently? Ideal budget is in the $3-5k range.
Realistically I won't be at the track until next summer, but this way I've got the winter to prep everything and I won't rush things.

Anything from the last 10 years is good, really. You have a fair bit of riding experience and have the pace, so I imagine a 600/1000 would be a good fit, plus they are easier to get parts for. 600 is more about holding corner speed, a 1000 is more off a square it off and get on the gas. Slower turning, but more power. For the tracks here, realistically there isn't much difference in lap times at the smaller tracks at GBM this year. Note the 600 pro times vs the 1000cc times. Only mosport GP track, and shannonville pro track really benefit from the extra power. I like the extra displacement, but you do go through more tires.

You are used to a large, heavy bike, the 600's are typically quite agressive posture and small. 1000's have a little more leniency. Tim's KTM is probably one of the most spacious. If you want to have a sit on my CBR to see what the ergos are like, feel free to swing by

I expect you will be quick fairly fast, so look for something with aftermarket (Ohlins, K-Tech, Penske, etc) suspension bits already on it. They are pricey if you have to put them on yourself. A steering damper is a good idea. $5k is a good pricepoint for something not completely used/abused. Last thing you need is to start diagnosing issues or spending maintenance dollars or dealing with someones electrical mess. A few more bucks up front might save you some down the road.

Track fanatics on facebook has some options,
the wera forum is good too, but most are US based http://forums.13x.com/index.php?forums/bikes-for-sale.48/

Back
Top Bottom