Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 152 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

I know somebody who has one in a box in her basement. That excuse won't fly. haha ;)

It's all yours buddy! I need more room in my basement... You need to try Calabogie

Interesting day at mosport. Super windy. Dave's EZ up decided it had had enough with life and gave up. We had to take them down which most of the pits did as well. The wind made it hard to keep heat in the tires, turn 9 claimed many victims.

There was a red flag pretty much every session of red group, which means straw bale cleanup/replacement was frequent. Szoke was out with his rig and goes by you like your standing still, even when the CBR was pinned at the rev limiter at the top of 6th on the back straight. All clean passes though. Unfortunately there was a nasty incident at turn 2 where 2 bikes collided, one rider was ok, the other not so much, but very few details. At least there weren't any bikes on fire this time. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to the rider.

Fortunately the KW crew made it out without incident, some tire sliding and watched Dave paint a bit long black streak with his rear tire out of turn 2. Great track and a good time!

It was my first time at Mosport . The track was awesome! Had a great day :)

with some really nice shiny blue new fairings :)

Great day at SMP today. Morning looked a bit sketchy and was overcast. Cleared up around 11am, and was beautiful blue sky the rest of the day. First time running tires needing warmers (Bridgestone R10 front, Dunlop GPA rear, then Bridgestone Race Slick after the GPA started giving me serious fits as it was at end of life).

Managed to tick off 2:07's....

Nice. Did you try red group?

Only for about half a session - I wasn't holding anyone up, but wasn't up to that pace. Found a great rabbit to chase in a french guy (on a BMW s1000, in rain mode, taking it easy yesterday) for a bit.. really humbling. Followed Randy for up to about turn 6 before he left me behind at the beginning of the session.

The slow group (only 2 groups) had some quick people, and a guy on a super moto that was just bonkers. Couple of guys on 250 two strokes that were pretty quick too.

I got stung by a bee, always nice when you are at full lean. Lots of open track, tons of lap. Think I might need new springs though, almost bottoming out the 1.05's, I'll have to talk to scott miller. Epic day though, Tim was looking much improved with the race slicks

Only for about half a session - I wasn't holding anyone up, but wasn't up to that pace. Found a great rabbit to chase in a french guy (on a BMW s1000, in rain mode, taking it easy yesterday) for a bit.. really humbling. Followed Randy for up to about turn 6 before he left me behind at the beginning of the session.

The slow group (only 2 groups) had some quick people, and a guy on a super moto that was just bonkers. Couple of guys on 250 two strokes that were pretty quick too.

Why only half a session then? You barely even got a taste. I managed a 1:57 on Long Track last year (with a river running across the braking zone into Allen's), but there were guys out there who were significantly slower. It's not an issue if you are consistent, which you are.

I got stung by a bee, always nice when you are at full lean. Lots of open track, tons of lap. Think I might need new springs though, almost bottoming out the 1.05's, I'll have to talk to scott miller. Epic day though, Tim was looking much improved with the race slicks

Gah, damned bees.

What's your sag set to in the front? Shannonville braking bumps will push the zip tie down lower than it would be under smooth braking. Maybe a bit more compression damping for the harder hits?

25mm of sag on the front, but compression damping is a trade off. Increase it for the backstraight and 6a becomes more challengint. Don't change it and risk bottoming out. Currently the forks only have about 9/16" from the bottom of the wiper. I was at about 90% braking, but I know I can brake harder. Would be nice not to have to worry about it. I'll talk to scott miller and see what he says. You are correct though Dave, SMP is a bit rough even on smooth braking.

It was nice to have a chance to try the suspension on a track that really demands a compliant setup. Night and day better than stock, but no idea what the lap time would be.

Why only half a session then? You barely even got a taste. I managed a 1:57 on Long Track last year (with a river running across the braking zone into Allen's), but there were guys out there who were significantly slower. It's not an issue if you are consistent, which you are.

Well, a bug of some mammoth mutant sort splattered all over the middle of my visor and it severely impaired my sight - went to wipe, and my visor unhinged on the left side. Didn't think it would be wise to continue at that point.

As for consistency, There are a couple of turns that I was blowing completely until later in the day.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Randy!

Only had 1 guy being a bit of a problem all day long, and that was in the middle of the afternoon. He was consistently slower in the corners, but would accelerate faster than me at most exits (I figure I outweighed him by about 55 pounds). His lines were exactly where I wanted to be, so it made passing a little difficult without stuffing or being a doochebag. Showed him a wheel at least 3 times but he didn't see to understand that was a courtesy. Lined him up for an outside pass on turn 1, carrying higher corner speed. Got my front wheel ahead of him, when he took a quick peek over at me and pinned it. We quickly caught up to a slower rider shortly before entry into 2. The other guy paced me exactly, and wasn't going to let me by, so I had to hammer on the binders so as not to hit the slower rider. He passed that person with ease. I made a move at turn 3 and successfully passed slower rider, and concentrated on nailing turn 4 (which was giving me problems earlier in the day). Much to my surprise, I got it right, and carried good corner speed throughout. The guy who was giving me problems blew it, and I managed to out accelerate him to turn 5 and passed on the inside just before corner entry. When I was exiting turn 10 (hairpin) I had a quick peek to the right and saw he was barely entering 9. Made me feel a bit better. ;-)

Think I'm going to need to upgrade my springs too - pretty positive I bottomed them out at one point, the whole front end bucked like never before after hitting a bump while hard on the brakes. Going to have to put a zip tie on the forks for next time.

Last edited:
John Sharrard actually suggests more sag on the front for Shannonville for some reason. He had me change my SV to more like 35mm front and 25mm rear, which would obviously make things worse for you with your current springs. We should just slow down, then none of this nonsense would matter. LOL

"Just slow down" == "Just don't breath the air"

"Just slow down" == "Just don't breath the air"

Exactly. haha... I said to Michelle the other day that I need to go faster, so obviously I can't go slower. :p

Tim, that sounds like an annoying ego rider. There are a lot fewer of those in the red group than yellow. It sounds like it was getting dangerous. I know it's hard to do (I've only done it twice in 13 years) but that sounds like the time to pit for a minute and get a gap...

I was watching from pit row, it was a douchey move for sure. Basically block a passing rider in behind a slower up coming rider. Either give it to the passer or at a minimum move over so you can go 3 wide past the guy out of 1.

Yeah.. go faster would be awesome if my cajones were bigger. ;-)
Thought about pitting out and getting a gap, but I knew I had a better pace than he did. Took me about 2 laps to finally get past him, but I did it in safety. The only dangerous thing of the whole "battle" between us was the intentional pass-block using the slower rider as a barrier.

First time ever I had severe forearm cramps too, causing my hands to lock up, couldn't open the fingers, pretty intense pain. Imagine a full out charlie horse in your calf muscle but move it to the inside of your forearms. At that point I knew I was done for the day, for safety reasons. First thought was "oh bejesus, what if that happened where I needed to hit the front brakes hard? I wouldn't be able to open my hand to grab the lever.

Sweated a ton, so it was probably my body telling me it was extremely low on sodium or potassium. Drank a couple gatorades, which helped, but didn't alleviate the problem completely. Had mild cramps in assorted spots until bed time.

Back
Top Bottom