Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 192 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Yup, if the weather improves, I don't have any street tires, only race slicks left

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'll keep an eye on the weather. If it looks good, maybe I'll have to flush the coolant and give it one more go this season....lol

Weather for Sunday still looks iffy so we're going down to the Redneck cottage.
Have fun if you go!

Well, I ended up selling the R6. I was not intending or looking to sell at all, but someone made me an offer that was far too good to turn down.
Now here's where I'm looking for some advice on the replacement.
I'm going to look at a track ready '03 SV1000 on Sunday. How does something like that compare to a newer 600-750cc bike?
Tim, didn't you used to have one? How did it behave on the track? Any issues to look out for?

Glad to hear you made some $ on it! You gotta stick to Yamaha if you want to lay down respectable lap times ;)
Though that may just be the Yamaha fanboy inside me speaking...

You have reasonable pace, if you have the budget something < 10 years old may be wiser. Parts, suspension, fuel systems, etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Whats the budget? Maybe Dan still has his 675, low miles, pretty new motor. Needs rotors, but the rest is a fairly new machinery. Something with aftermarket suspension that has been refreshed is good, although you'd likely need to respring it. The older stuff like this often needs work. Anything with spelling mistakes or the words "i'm too lazy" always concern me, but its easy to spend someone else's money :)

No big budget here, <$3,500.
The main reason the SV1000 is so tempting is because of the low price of $2400. But as mentioned, there will probably be a lot of work to go along with it...

If you're focusing on the SV mainly for initial capital cost, keep in mind the running/upgrade/replacement cost of a bike relative to initial capital outlay. The initial purchase differential becomes much less significant when you look at the total cost of ownership. It's kind of like buying a TV. Sure its, $600 up front, but when you factor in the $60 or whatever for cable, the initial cost has less impact longer term.

Your pace is getting quick in a hurry. Consider looking for something well setup from a former racer or serious trackday person. Often a bucket of spares, extra wheels, after market damper, cartridge kit, shock, lightweight battery, quickshifter, etc. are good indicators. Those parts all get expensive if you need to bolt them on later.

More will come up over the winter as well. Also consider the WERA forums, although the pricepoint is typically higher.

All this talk has me wanting to buy a track bike too :rolleyes:
The R6 will eventually become one the first time it goes down. I'm considering buying slicks/warmers over winter; how much of a difference will I notice coming from Q3's? A steering damper is also something I've been considering.

If you're focusing on the SV mainly for initial capital cost, keep in mind the running/upgrade/replacement cost of a bike relative to initial capital outlay. The initial purchase differential becomes much less significant when you look at the total cost of ownership. It's kind of like buying a TV. Sure its, $600 up front, but when you factor in the $60 or whatever for cable, the initial cost has less impact longer term.

Your pace is getting quick in a hurry. Consider looking for something well setup from a former racer or serious trackday person. Often a bucket of spares, extra wheels, after market damper, cartridge kit, shock, lightweight battery, quickshifter, etc. are good indicators. Those parts all get expensive if you need to bolt them on later.

More will come up over the winter as well. Also consider the WERA forums, although the pricepoint is typically higher.
It's not just the initial price. I've always had a thing for big V Twins, and specifically the SV1000. It's too aggressive for me to have as a street bike so I figure this is my chance to have one.
But you're right, some of those other bikes I listed come ready to go, are newer and realistically would be potentially quicker than the SV.
Decisions decisions....

It's not just the initial price. I've always had a thing for big V Twins, and specifically the SV1000. It's too aggressive for me to have as a street bike so I figure this is my chance to have one.
But you're right, some of those other bikes I listed come ready to go, are newer and realistically would be potentially quicker than the SV.
Decisions decisions....
Hey Bip.

Had the Sv1000 as my first track bike. It's definitely underpowered to the ducati 1098 and my KTM. Parts were easy enough to find. Swapped out the rear shock from a zx12 (or was it a 14?) to fix it up (had wrong length r1 shock when I bought it. Really didn't like to turn cause the rear end was squatting so badly).

Pretty easy to work on, except attaching the rear header (thanks doozer!).

Bip - I would go with zx6r or gsxr750.
And considering you're new to track, the zx6r. Dan will sell his Daytona 675 for 4k. That's his lowest price.

Last edited:
Hey Bip.

Had the Sv1000 as my first track bike. It's definitely underpowered to the ducati 1098 and my KTM. Parts were easy enough to find. Swapped out the rear shock from a zx12 (or was it a 14?) to fix it up (had wrong length r1 shock when I bought it. Really didn't like to turn cause the rear end was squatting so badly).

Pretty easy to work on, except attaching the rear header (thanks doozer!).

Bip - I would go with zx6r or gsxr750.
And considering you're new to track, the zx6r. Dan will sell his Daytona 675 for 4k. That's his lowest price.
I was already thinking that for the track the 600 or 750 would be better. Only reason for the SV would be for the sound....not really too important for lap times lol!
Is the Daytona a track bike or would it need some work? If it's all ready to go I wouldn't mind getting the details and pics.

given the low mileage on the 675.. consider it for that price :) its a great platform to start from.

Is the Daytona a track bike or would it need some work? If it's all ready to go I wouldn't mind getting the details and pics.

track ready... might need new front rotors, but shouldn't be a big deal to find a set

I don't know anything else about the bike. Does anyone know year and km's?
Pics?

Will see if I can get you some. The rear shock will need to be upgraded at some point for your heft as well... I believe the front has racetech gold valves already.

Will see if I can get you some. The rear shock will need to be upgraded at some point for your heft as well... I believe the front has racetech gold valves already.

So what you're saying is I might as well go for a 1000cc because I need the extra power for my fat ***?
Ok! :D

Picking up an '09 R6s tomorrow.
Built and tuned by Riders Choice, all the suspension goodies by Ohlins, damper, only thing I would add is a quickshifter and change to GP shifting.
This winter I'll be hitting the elliptical to drop some more weight and work on my flexibility to I can get my knee down instead of scraping my boots all the time! And yes, I know, I've got to keep working on getting my fat *** OFF the seat!

Back
Top Bottom