Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 165 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Hoping to get to GB tomorrow for their evening lapping...
Bosses don't want to let me off 2 hours early though (Friday is last day of work before shop shut down holidays)...
Weather is 50/50...

Will need everything to come together just right for me to get my fat butt out there.. sigh...

spur of the moment, GB thursday night lapping with a questionable character that rides an RC8 tonight :)

Had a great night at GBM. Its VRRA weekend so the pits were completely packed, lots of spectators and about 40 bikes running long track. 3 groups, 15 minute session. Was hoping for 2, but what can you do. The heat for the first 2 sessions was pretty brutal, no wind at all. Met up with a couple guys we met at SMP.

Found the root cause for the crash, front tire warmer was broken. Light comes on, but there's no heat. Bickle says its a broken wire, but hes out on vacation for a while, so we'll have to see what can be done about it.

Went with a SC1/D212(UK) combo. The SC1 had great grip but some hot tearing when pressing the pace, both left and right side. By the end of the day as the track cooled it went away. Perhaps the compound was just a little soft for those conditions. Rear had a bit of similar tearing which was surprising. I haven't seen anything like that on the 211 GPA (US) version. Again, by the end it seemed to go down a bit. Thought it was a med+ compound, but maybe I was mistaken, I'll have to double check.

Tim keeps getting quicker. There are a few corners the RC8 just turns better than the CBR. The old honda keeps going though. Tim's late braking was excellent. He really held that throttle even longer than I was in some spots. After having to silicon the quickshifter plug into the bazzaz unit (tab broke in the crash), it was working again. The module has been re-located to under the gas tank. Some minor adjustments, but otherwise the home-made exhaust shell worked great.

Bickle can't get the warmer done by the 18th, I may just open it up and have a look at it. Hopefully shes not lost forever :(

Was a great night for sure. First 2 sessions in the heat took it out of us pretty good, but we had lots of water.
Started in yellow 'cause there were a bunch of SOAR racers out. Moved to red after 2 sessions and felt more comfortable right away.
Pressed the pace a bit more, worked on some trail braking, had the rear lifting a bit a few times.

Wee minor bit of tearing going on in the rear GPA Medium compound (not the +). Tire will be good for 1 more day on the track and that's about it.

And of course, Mr. Smergy was one of the quicker guys in red.
Only 1 red flag all evening for a guy in yellow group at the OMG corner. Ambulance rolled, and the track was down for about 15 minutes.

Was a great evening other than the red flag, and now I'm dead tired.

The SC1 should perform better when hot. Are you sure it wasn't "geometry" tearing? Good to hear you found the root cause of the crash.

Tim, were you getting drive line tearing from applying the throttle too quickly? My 7455's look like they suffered very little wear at Grattan last weekend, but I only have 110hp at the wheel :p

Actually its the other way around for the pirelli fronts according to their information (seems odd to me) but:

Attachments

• pirelli_graph.jpg
    pirelli_graph.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8
Front and rear are opposite? Good work, Pirelli...

When I was running Pirelli I always ran SC1 front and SC2 rear and only ever saw problems with the rear tire. According to that chart I had it backwards, but that's what was recommended to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it since you'll be fixing your warmer and going back to Dunlop anyway (I assume).

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, its weird. SC1 front SC2 rear as well. Yeah, we'll remount the dunlop and go that way again. I was going to retire that set, but now we have a root cause for the crash its safe to say they should be fine

So far I really like the GPA Pro on the Ninja. I might have a 120/190 8477 set of 211 GPA's for sale soon.

Tim, were you getting drive line tearing from applying the throttle too quickly?

I don't think so -- I learned I really have to be careful on the corner drive, or it wheelies like crazy. I can't get full on the gas until the bike is straight up and down, mid way through 3rd gear.

Some pics from the evening lapping session.
Removed to free up space on Photobucket...

Last edited:
Wed, Aug.17 @ mosport GP track is the next day :)

What about Grand Bend on the 9th?

We're heading to Calabogie this weekend for Monday and Tuesday, then GBR on the 9th.

We come back from TN on the 7th, which is usually quite a long drive. It's an unlikely at this point, but I won't rule it out. Unless I'm really itching for a trackday when we get back. I'd have to switch the bike back to track duty on the 8th and drive back down to GB for it to happen.

No one forgets about the gap trip :) 10,000 corners in a week, moonshine, great bbq, waterfalls. Its a fun trip

Back
Top Bottom