Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 195 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

I have sharkskin molds from SquidSkins. I think they were $500 cash, primed. Generally they fit well, given honda uses a bunch of stupid plastic clips for mounting. I didn't like them, they were flimsy so I just lined up the frame mounting points and drilled. I would buy them again, something to keep in mind if this deal doesn't work out, but I'm not sure how large their stock is.

Only downside is Dzus fasterns didn't really work due to the curves and varying bodywork thickness. I just use 5mm bolts and zip ties.

I've also used Squidskins. I had a set on my old CBR600F4, fit was great and they held up pretty well during a few crashes. I have a squidskins tail on my ZX6R right now too. I think he usually builds by order.

Dzus fasteners, for their price, are pretty crappy. Inconsistent clipping and sometimes they get stuck which is annoying.

So it's turning out to be a near impossible task of switching to GP shift on the R6. Even if I can bend the shift rod to get around the frame, there's no room on top of the shift knuckle going into the transmission to flip it.
With that being said, is it worth it to forget about the GP shift but still put on the quickshifter?

If it's too much hassle, don't bother. I'm surprised it wouldn't be easier. Qs is worthwhile both from a fun perspective and about 1 sec per lap

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ya, me too....
On one hand, I'd love to just throw on the qs for the fun factor...on the other hand, I find myself wondering why I would change a whole bunch of **** before I've even ridden the bike...lol
I was going to take it to Cayuga last weekend for their last Test and Tune on the dragstrip to see what it was like but the weather turned out to be crap so it was a no-go.
Oh well, something to look forward to in the Spring! Maybe it will help the Winter go by quicker!

So it's turning out to be a near impossible task of switching to GP shift on the R6. Even if I can bend the shift rod to get around the frame, there's no room on top of the shift knuckle going into the transmission to flip it.
With that being said, is it worth it to forget about the GP shift but still put on the quickshifter?

Seems like it has been done. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/51-how-tos/107410-2005-gp-shift.html

Or get some nice rearsets https://www.satoracing.com/rearsets03r6.htm

My 04 R6 was delivered this weekend unexpected. Guy was coming from Windsor to Toronto and said he would deliver, I was in the middle of moving to my new house but I couldn't say no. Happy day for sure, ripped down the road and made some neighbour friends lol.

Anyways my 04 R6 is running GP shift, i was thinking of switching it back, I can send you some pictures, I know for sure the shift linkage has a bend in it to make it around the frame down in that area.

You want to swap back to regular shift? Hell, why don't we just swap linkages?
Even though mine is an '09, it's the 's' model so it's identical to your '04.
Do You still have the stock rearsets?

My bike came with aftermarket rearsets, I'm thinking I'll probably just adapt to the GP shift and switch my street bike over to it as well so I don't make any costly mistakes. It is a possibility that if I just can't adapt that a swap could be in order.

If you don't mind, pictures of the gp setup would be appreciated. I priced out some new rearsets that would accommodate gp shift and it was around $550 USD.....no thanks!

I'll try and snap some photos tonight for you. Ya go fast bits never come cheap. I bought some ebay rear sets for the SV that i never did install but I did put them together and I couldn't have been more impressed. I put them together with a QC machinist friend and have a background in that as well and the workmanship was pretty damn good.

Katatonic, sorry I've been busy moving and organizing I haven't forgotten about your pictures. If you want shoot me a PM with your cell number and I'll send the photo's to you in the next day or two.

All the bikes got winterized yesterday, going to be a long winter now. See you all at the track next year!

No worries, I got all winter to sort things out!

On a side note, I'll be setting up a spray booth, probably in January/February some time, so if any of you have any fairings or parts that you want to paint let me know. We've got airlines running through the building so if you're more high-tech than rattle can, we can accommodate that.
It won't be a permanent thing, I'll only have it set up for a month or so - we will need the space in the warehouse again in the Spring. Also, this would be an after hours or weekend thing, not during regular business hours.

Also, came across these pump siphons....anyone want one?
653e56c39b7cae0df3e5a3b2250a8425.jpg

Bought my first track bike (picture was from about two weeks ago).

lgvXfsr.jpg

2004 GSX-R 600. Been kept well. Nothing too special that's been added (digital gear indicator, frame sliders, strator covers, shorty levers, aftermarket rear-sets, steel-braided lines, brand-new Dunlop Q3's).

Winterized and battery tended, now it's the wait.

Ordered another set of fairings (armourbodies) as well as a blank / primed tank cover. Will be looking forward to painting them.

Another thing as well (and ironically you guys were just talking about it) is that it has GP shifting setup. Hopefully just changing around the link will revert it back to normal.

Other than new fairings (get rid of the plastic ones on it right now), I don't think I'll add anything else until I'm advanced enough for a suspension upgrade. But the focus is simply GETTING to the track! Will need to buy a hitch, trailer, tire warmers before the spring/summer starts.

Who knew this hobby would be so expensive? Ha!

consider leaving it setup for GP shifting. It takes a bit to get used to using normal shifting on a street bike and gp on a track bike, but you will likely find it's a better setup for the track.

consider leaving it setup for GP shifting. It takes a bit to get used to using normal shifting on a street bike and gp on a track bike, but you will likely find it's a better setup for the track.

Agree with Smergy completely... GP shift is so much better on track. It really makes sense -- you're trying to tuck down low, get all your weight down low, and then you're lifting up with your foot? Try it out for at least the first few sessions of your first track day in green group. If you don't like it, then simply flip the knuckle and you're all back to normal.

What they said.
My first track bike (a whopping 2 track days ago...) was set up for GP shift when I bought it. I tried to have it switched back to normal but it proved to be a pain in the *** so I left it. It was awesome! And now I'm in the position of wanting to change my current track bike from normal to GP, which again is proving to be a pain in the ***!
Take BigEvilDoer's advice and at least try it for a track day.
I'll see you in Green in the Spring!

Yeah! It seems pretty easy to swap the links around, luckily the aftermarket rear-sets can do both.

I'll try both! It seems easy to get used to, but unfortunately I can't change my street bike to GP shifting without some cutting of the gear cover. Would be nice to practice before heading to the track.

You have any pictures of your R6S? Was it the grey one that was up on Kijiji?

What they said.
My first track bike (a whopping 2 track days ago...) was set up for GP shift when I bought it. I tried to have it switched back to normal but it proved to be a pain in the *** so I left it. It was awesome! And now I'm in the position of wanting to change my current track bike from normal to GP, which again is proving to be a pain in the ***!
Take BigEvilDoer's advice and at least try it for a track day.
I'll see you in Green in the Spring!

Yeah! It seems pretty easy to swap the links around, luckily the aftermarket rear-sets can do both.

I'll try both! It seems easy to get used to, but unfortunately I can't change my street bike to GP shifting without some cutting of the gear cover. Would be nice to practice before heading to the track.

You have any pictures of your R6S? Was it the grey one that was up on Kijiji?
Do I have pictures....lol!

37340a9f426083aec405ec5b1e04d113.jpg
26ab0c5561fd2f89231100038333100a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom