Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 172 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Got some new rubber installed on the rims last night... Brings the season that much closer!
First days I'm thinking of:
SMP - Friday, May 19
GB - Tuesday, May 30
SMP - Monday, June 5

Would like to do 2 of those for sure.

Planning to do GB May 30 if the weather is good. If not will do SMP June 5.

Alright, today was a bit iffy for the forecast, so first track day rescheduled to May.19 @ SMP (w/ RACE). If anyone else is going let me know

Alright, today was a bit iffy for the forecast, so first track day rescheduled to May.19 @ SMP (w/ RACE). If anyone else is going let me know

Heading there with Smergy....
Probably gonna do yellow group - don't care to get torpedoed by any racers first day out (the day is being ran in conjunction with RACE).

So, 2 Wheel Tuesday is gonna be Smergy and my first day on the track this year, not due to our trying to go though! Stupid weather and broken down body parts (damn, getting old sucks... and yes, I am old - I won't deny it).

People for sure that I know of are Randy, Dave, Michelle and I... think Scott and Sebi as well, but unsure...

Yep, we're planning on it. 9 days to go! Just did oil changes the track bikes today so they're ready to go. I should fire up the generator and test my tire warmers (maybe tomorrow).

Yep, as long as the weather is good we will be there May 30!

Yep, we're planning on it. 9 days to go! Just did oil changes the track bikes today so they're ready to go. I should fire up the generator and test my tire warmers (maybe tomorrow).

Successful tire warmers test. I guess everything is ready to go.

I picked up a set of woodcraft dual temp warmers this year, I'll have the bickles as a spare set should the group be in need of a spare. Haven't got out to the track at all yet. Planned on going to 4 different days so far and none have worked out.

Mosport is looking iffy as well, so GBM on the 30th will likely be the first day. Hope to see you guys there

Ended up getting them from Tony. They had a reasonable price at another motorcycle place, I just asked him to match it. One day, yeah, we are slowly getting there.

Why did you get dual temp? Planning to run rain tires?

I thought you didn't use warmers at all on rain tires, not even 'warm mode'? Dunlop page says not to.

Jeff

Calabogie was a bit of good and a bit of bad....

The bad was my bike didn't work properly so I didn't get any track time on Sunday and had to head home early. Saturday I actually did most of my track time on a rented Moto-Nation bike (they didn't have a spare on Sunday)

The good was that I got on the track Saturday, got some good pointers and notes on lines and started to learn the track. I like the track! Though I did most of my sessions in 3rd and 4th to learn lines. Had Richard Harris for a coach, he was great at explaining the lines he uses and what things to watch for etc.

Its my fault, I left a few things late this year on the bike and never really tested it other than low RPM ride of about 100m down my street. When I got to Calabogie it didn't want to rev under load. Sounded fuel related, hope it is. cleaned carbs yesterday and tonight they are back together so should know whats up with it by end of week. I tried to fix it at the track but ran out of things to try with the resources I had. The Pro6 parts of the weekend were great.

My rental was a '07 or '09 CBR600RR so now I have also done laps with new technology ... which could be bad for my 2018 track budget LOL Though not sure I liked the seating position on the CBR, I felt like a sail sitting on top of the bike vs part of the bike.

I am supposed to be back to Calabogie in a month (June 26th), considering adding the 25th to make it 2 days.

TTYL, Jeff

Doh... That really sucks about your bike. That sounds like water in the gas sitting at the bottom of the bowls.

Richard is a great guy. Definitely knows his way around that track. His matter of fact teaching style wastes no time.

We'll be there on the 25th and 26th too.

I'll be considering it as well... First time up there. Was hoping for mosport, but its looking unlikely. GBM then I think SMP right after that!

I'm pretty sure there was no water in the bowls by the 2nd time I tried to ride it as I had the carbs physically off the bike, drained, removed the float bowls and wandered over (with them in my hands) to Pro6 shop for ideas :) And if there was any water at the bottom of my tank it should have been shaken back into solution by the 3rd time the tank was on and off the bike. And I know the bowls were empty over winter as I drain them and the gas in the tank had treatment in it. I did everything except a full separation of carbs at the track or in motel parking lot. Though in the last 48 hours I found 2 jets I forgot about and didn't clean at the track now that I completely tore them down.

Now I am waiting for a part though as when I went to remove the tank at the track the one bung pulled out of the petcock vs the hose off the bung. I stuffed the bung back into it's hole (tight brass fit) and it didn't leak while I tested it but I don't really want to ride that way with an option of a gas leak at any time. (though might make good youtube for the bike behind me with a camera) New petcock might be in as soon as today for pickup. So I will empty the tank into my van and all fresh fuel into system and try again.

Damn carbs.

I liked Richards (and Melanie's, who was playing 'rover') direct approach. One of the other riders in our group decided Calabogie was going to be his first track experience. He went from a Goldwing to buying a '09 CBR600RR and adding track fairings then signed up for the school. One way to jump 'all in'. So at his pace at times I was wanting a bit more but I just focused on lines or slowed down a bit to give me more room. The groups were 4 students to teacher though in our group 1 student moved to yellow after first session. Saturday afternoon the fast woman from our group basically went with Melanie to get more pace. So I ended up with Richard and the new guy. If they offer the school (especially with the bonus day) next year I'll do it again. As I said to Sandy, I had not issues with the Pro6 side of it or the sessions themselves, it was all my own doing with the bike that caused me any unhappiness.

Jeff

Sorry to hear your bike crapped out on you Jeff! Hopefully you'll get it sorted quickly.
Would love to take the Calabogie school next year - something going on my list for sure.

Back
Top Bottom