Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 180 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

So, Hela (my track KTM) might be a little more kaput than originally thought...
The front wheel doesn't line up nicely with the triples. Loosened the triple clamps last night, gave the forks a bit of a rotation in the clamp and tightened them up.. reinstalled the wheel.. still the same..
Tonight's plan is to remove the wheel again and totally disassemble the entire steering assembly. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to get the upper and lower clamps in line. Worst case scenarios are that a fork is bent or the lower triple stem is done.

Managed to access the magnet section of the kickstand sensor - had to drop the exhaust to do it. Watched a few videos, looks like I might be able to JB Weld the magnet from the kickstand to the sensor. Wrap it up in some tape for extra security and stuff it up by the subframe. Not as bad a I thought it would be...
Alternately, Randy's offered to swing by with his voltmeter to check the wires and figure out which could get tied together (blue, red, black wires).

If the axle hole is consistently out of alignment as you rotate the fork, chances are its just the triple. If the fork is bent, the you'll see gap variation for the front axle as you rotate it. Bring them over, we'll put them on the bench and test them with the runout gauge, its the only way to be sure. Given your steering stop took some impact, its quite possible the triple got bent. The upper and lower triples are tougher to determine which is out of alignment. I usually just replace both if I suspect one is bent, but for the CBR they aren't that expensive.

Usually the only thing that is checked is that you are wearing a hard shell back protector. If you don't have one, make sure you pick one up. Only once, about 6 years ago at a DOCC event they did a full gear inspection of gloves, leathers, helmets, et al. It was quite the disaster of a process. They took a lot of heat for it, it ended up just being a waste of everyone's time. The reason tracks like SNELL is the multi-impact rating although I have never heard of anyone not being able to go on the track with the ECE equivalent.

They still check helmets, snell, or ece are both accepted. Just DOT is not acceptable.

If the axle hole is consistently out of alignment as you rotate the fork, chances are its just the triple. If the fork is bent, the you'll see gap variation for the front axle as you rotate it. Bring them over, we'll put them on the bench and test them with the runout gauge, its the only way to be sure. Given your steering stop took some impact, its quite possible the triple got bent. The upper and lower triples are tougher to determine which is out of alignment. I usually just replace both if I suspect one is bent, but for the CBR they aren't that expensive.

Sounds good... I'll take the forks out tonight and put it all together again tonight to make sure it's the same.
Found a lower and upper triple tree from a wrecker in Alberta on Ebay.. looks to be about $350 with shipping. The lower would be $240ish shipping in.

Maybe if you've got some time on Saturday later afternoon (after I'm done teaching) we can check it on the runout gauge if necessary...

Bringing in the big guns...
Can't get the triple tree straightened out. Doozer's coming by to have a peekaboo tomorrow...
Guessing the tree is messed up and bent, but, against all odds, hoping not.
The forks look straight - pulled them out and rotated a few times... Will have to check them though..

Thanks for all the advice so far.
I managed to pick up a SNELL rated Bell Star 2XL that fits pretty good. Well, it's tight on my cheeks, but at least it doesn't feel like it's crushing my skull like the HJC 2XL....lol! But hey, I figure a track helmet should fit a little tight compared to a street street helmet, right? Also picked up some Alpinestars boots.
By the end of the weekend I'll be done the little bit of work that needs to be done with the bike to get it track ready....which means in theory I'll be ready for GB at the end of the month.....

Thanks for all the advice so far.
I managed to pick up a SNELL rated Bell Star 2XL that fits pretty good. Well, it's tight on my cheeks, but at least it doesn't feel like it's crushing my skull like the HJC 2XL....lol! But hey, I figure a track helmet should fit a little tight compared to a street street helmet, right?

Glad to hear you've got a helmet you like. Did you get it from GP Bikes, or did Royal do a price match?
The padding will work in so it's not quite so tight. Get all sweaty a few times and all good. ;-)

Mosport on Wednesday if anyone else is going let me know

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I was correct.
$11.30 for the leather repair on my suit. Can't beat that!

Awesome!
So the suit is fixed, what about the bike?

Damage is absolutely stupid considering it was a simple low side. Going to cost about $700ish all said and done. Ordering some parts tonight.

Yikes! If I knew what I was doing I'd offer you a hand.
I still haven't gotten around to flushing out my rad, and I don't want to book GB until it's ready. Hopefully I can get that done this week....

Just be sure to get all of it out. I only mention it because its easy to have a trace amount left and cause another crash on the track. CBR takes 5 or 6 rounds of full thermostat open to get it all.

What'd you end up ordering Tim? Did you double check that fork run-out?

What'd you end up ordering Tim? Did you double check that fork run-out?

Ordered new rear sets and the fork for now. Going to see if John can do a bit of aluminum welding to build up the steering stop. Have to swap the spring out when the new fork arrives...
Double checked the runout, and it's about 26-28 thou out at the crease.

Looks like I'm out for the day at GB... fork and all the parts are ordered... but it doesn't leave me any money left over for the day...
Besides, once the fork arrives, I have to open it up, swap the race spring from the other one out, etc etc etc.
And still have all the bodywork to fix. Sigh.

common, its too early to say for sure.. and you have a $25 coupon!

Looks like I'm out for the day at GB... fork and all the parts are ordered... but it doesn't leave me any money left over for the day...
Besides, once the fork arrives, I have to open it up, swap the race spring from the other one out, etc etc etc.
And still have all the bodywork to fix. Sigh.

Oh come on... Body work can be solved with a drill and a few zip-ties. I've got a whole bag of them if you need some! lol!

common, its too early to say for sure.. and you have a $25 coupon!

On second thought, if you don't end up coming, I'll buy the coupon off you for....$10? :p

Well, I've got most of the work done to the R6, just got to flush out the rad a couple more times. The water was coming out brownish(?) but is starting to clear up. I'm hoping to be done everything tonight.
That being said, who's still in for GB on the 29th? I don't want to do any track day solo, especially not my first one!

The CBR sustained some damage yesturday at mosport. Another rider clipped my rear tire and was tangled up going into the fast turn 8. A replacement exhaust is on order, but the incident broke off the case saver and now I have a hole in the clutch crank case cover. There are a few out there, but shipping time through USPS makes it unlikely to arrive on time. If I can get it back together, I'll be out there, but the sept. event is more likely. If that changes I'll let you guys know

Hope it was only the CBR that sustained damage....yikes!
Let me know. I'm not going to register until I know who's in for sure.
Which date in September are you looking at?

Back
Top Bottom