Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 174 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Good day at GB overall... well run, and only 2 groups, so tons of track time again.
Finished off my GPA rear tire, mounted the Pirelli SC3 and promptly tore the heck out of it. At 26 psi I had a wee bit of a tear, so I went to 28 psi.. .totally wrong direction - should have went to 24! The tearing is pretty bad, and likely took more than a full day of wear in 2 sessions... Sigh..

Agreed. Paul and the guys at GBM ran an excellent show. Combining the 4(?) red riders into yellow made lots of track time for everyone. Of course this means some lap traffic, but if there's more track time for everyone, I don't think anyone will complain. Swapped out a set of warped rotors (I guess 8 years isn't bad). After replacing them, braking into the carousel became much better.

There were a couple pretty quick guys out there which were fun to dice it up with. Scott was running really nice lines and worked on some deeper braking. Right before an unintended excursion he was looking good. Sebi had pace, but a couple of late apexes using the 1000cc line instead of the 600 line were adding a couple seconds to the lap time. Nothing wrong with his braking into the carousel though and by the end of the day there was some decent improvement.

Interesting I had issues with the SC2 hot tearing on the left side, Tim's were similar but on the right. Tried similar changes with similar results. Not sure what's going on there, but hopefully we can get it sorted before destroying the tires. The dunlops never had that issue.

Agreed - Scott and Sebi made some great progress throughout the day...
Red was fun, but difficult to get clean runs with yellow/red combination. Enjoyed it nonetheless!

The tearing was a real pain. I had a look again, and I think I'll get 1 more day out of a tire that should be good for at least 3 (so 1 day, 2 sessions before trash). The tearing is really deep at the wear markers. Doozer suggests smoother throttle - which will help for sure. I was working to get past a guy on an orange/blue GSXr 750, and he made it really difficult for 5 laps. That likely led to me being choppy on the throttle - need to learn that finesse.

Randy definitely was leaving a few soft darkies on corner drive onto the straight and exiting the bus stop. Good to see!

Here's a video of the day... multiple sessions combined into 1...

[video=youtube_share;u7miQ6KzZM0]http://youtu.be/u7miQ6KzZM0[/video]

Nice video Tim. Yeah, there is definitely a fun battle going on at 12:00. We had a good time battling most of the day. Took a few laps and had some traffic, but eventually caught back up and showed the hand on the brakes into the carousel :)

Tim definitely picked up a few seconds in there. The CSBK double apex line into the S's is a faster line than a single or decreasing radius turn. Brake less into 1, come wide out of 1, take the left hander right on the left side on the brakes, go a little wide, then come back. You can get back on the gas again briefly before the right. Hard to make up time in 2, but carrying more speed and braking later into 1 seems like the faster line.

Everyone else was doing it, so that makes it ok ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Randy... I'll have to try that next time out!

Woo-Hoo!

Just got a call from GBM. It seems they found my tank body panel. Apparently they are a troublesome piece on the R6. I'll have to see if I can find a better way of securing it...

Last edited:
Dave and I are going to Calabogie this Sunday and possibly Monday. Can't wait!!

Thought about it, but think I'll do SMP this time around since they are running a sunday. Once we get back from deals gap I'll see if we can make it up there

Agreed - Scott and Sebi made some great progress throughout the day...
Red was fun, but difficult to get clean runs with yellow/red combination. Enjoyed it nonetheless!

The tearing was a real pain. I had a look again, and I think I'll get 1 more day out of a tire that should be good for at least 3 (so 1 day, 2 sessions before trash). The tearing is really deep at the wear markers. Doozer suggests smoother throttle - which will help for sure. I was working to get past a guy on an orange/blue GSXr 750, and he made it really difficult for 5 laps. That likely led to me being choppy on the throttle - need to learn that finesse.

Randy definitely was leaving a few soft darkies on corner drive onto the straight and exiting the bus stop. Good to see!

Here's a video of the day... multiple sessions combined into 1...

[video=youtube_share;u7miQ6KzZM0]http://youtu.be/u7miQ6KzZM0[/video]

He was on 4 day old sc3. And toasted discs, new braketech cast iron came sat. With new sc3. So he should be a little quicker next time.

He was on 4 day old sc3. And toasted discs, new braketech cast iron came sat. With new sc3. So he should be a little quicker next time.

OK Sure.. .had same issue last year...
No big deal, but if you can hear somebody all over you for 5 laps and still give it full throttle on the straights you have something to learn about etiquette (pulled almost even twice on corner drive to show him I was there, and not stuff him in the braking zone, and then made an admittedly bit of a dirty pass coming onto the straight - he rolled off throttle at the point and didn't go full out to the carousel, which I commend him for).
It was my error for not pitting and getting a gap that way. As for a 4 day old SC3 - I'm impressed... he's figured them out whereas I haven't whatsoever.

All in good, safe fun, and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Anyone wanna buy some undersuit wear? I'm looking at buying a Psycleskins. They're made in Canada but got bought out by STG. They go for $60USD + shipping. The thing is, shipping costs the same if I buy 1 or 4 suits. If anyone is looking to buy one, I was thinking we could group buy and thus split the cost of shipping. Shipping is like 40$ so the more people that buy, the cheaper it will be.

Suit Link

[video=youtube;8f4Z-DhxTZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4Z-DhxTZ0[/video]

If shipping to a US address is a lot cheaper I use http://crossborderpickups.ca/ and ship it to them and they bring it over the border for me. Pickup is out by the airport off Dixie. Free to sign up but a cost per package for them to bring it over. The suit is over the minimum price at STG for free shipping, so I would free ship to Cross Border and then pay the $9.00 (CAD) plus duty (would have to pay anyhow for other shipper). They will even re-ship it to your home if you want (you are probably still ahead vs $40USD) though I have never done that.

Jeff

SMP was interesting in sunday,

Fortunately there was no traffic going there, which is usually a battle. Unfortunately PRIDE was getting out as we came back through. The track day was quite busy, as you'd imagine for a weekend. Lunch was great, weather forecast could have gone either way. It just missed the track, although it did look very threatening a few times. Some ez-ups flew across the paddock and we actually had to take ours down mid day. The wind blast made some corner lean and establishing braking markers interesting.

They ran 4 groups which was quite annoying. Max they can have is 30 bikes on the track. I'd say cap the registration at 90 then. They ran 15-minute sessions, so it moved along. A lot of crashes though, 7 or 8 a few looked fairly ugly. Red group was off pace right from the start, so John and I moved up to the racer group which was supposed to be for RACE license holders. I figure as long as they aren't blowing by, it should be fine. Whoever was out there, it wasn't the normal RACE guys, with a number of riders that were significantly off pace with inconsistent riding for that level. Fortunately the group was only 12-14 bikes or so, but getting clean laps was a challenge.

They did a few sessions of pro track, which I'd never done before. Trying to pass into 2 gets downright frightening with such a difference in the group. Best save it for 3. Turns out that 675 John has still has about 2 seconds a lap on the CBR. Turn 7 (long track) and the hairpin is where it all goes. Oddly enough the CBR was quicker through 6A, and the heavy blast out of 5 sure helps. Man he's quick. I guess being a former pro rider does that. Still had a blast, the pirelli's stuck like glue and had great confidence.

Met up with xrayhonda down there. He was having some quickshifter issues but we spent a session together and he was showing good form.

The tearing issues on the left weren't a problem, and tire wear was not too bad, given the pace. Bumpy as always, but there was a lot of rubber down so grip was higher than it usually is. Some dust down on the race line made a few corners a little bit trickier. By the end it was open lapping. All in all, it was a good day with lots of sore muscles and some great battles on the track.

Back
Top Bottom