Ducati No Electrical Power! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati No Electrical Power!

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem. I have a 2008 Ducati 848 with 5000km on it only. It has worked perfectly until now. The other day, I went and put the key in, turned it to On, and there was nothing. The LCD didn't light up, no headlights, nothing.

I thought about it and my theory was that I left the key in the "P" position by accident (which turns the taillight on) and the battery may have drained since it has been 5 days since I last took it out. I'm not sure though, since I didn't notice which position the ignition was in when I put the key in. So I got my tools out, took the battery off, and put it on a charger.

I left the battery on the charger all night. 13 hours later, the light still didn't turn green on the charger, indicating that the battery is 80% charged. It is a fairly large battery (12V 10aH), and the charger is only 750maH, so I thought maybe it's just not fully charged. I figured that I'd just take the battery and try it out. I reconnect the battery leads, and there is still nothing when I turn the bike on. No lights, no LCD, nothing.

I thought maybe it was the fuses, so I took those out and checked them and they look fine.

What is going on?? Could it be that the battery somehow just died completely and isn't taking any charge? Shouldn't the LCD display at least come on after a night of charging?

The other theory I have is that I left it in the rain.. could the ECU have somehow shorted or got blown out? Seems very unlikely.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Also check the negative cable from the battery and make sure it has a good connection.

If it's a 2008 and that's the original battery, I'm amazed it lasted this long. A boost from a known good battery will tell you for sure, or a load test on your battery, but I think you know what the answer will be there based on the charger.

#1 never leave your Ducati in the rain, would you leave your dog sitting out in the rain?

you probably have a bad battery, they can die suddenly on bikes and the charger will not be helping. Can you boost start the bike from car/another bike? If it starts its your battery. You can take the battery to a CTC store and they will load test it for you.

#1 never leave your Ducati in the rain, would you leave your dog sitting out in the rain?

you probably have a bad battery, they can die suddenly on bikes and the charger will not be helping. Can you boost start the bike from car/another bike? If it starts its your battery. You can take the battery to a CTC store and they will load test it for you.

I know.. my bad. I left it outside my house for a night because I thought I was going to go out again and didn't.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the battery since it's not holding a charge (according to the charging light, which hasn't turned green after 24 hours of charging). I'm gonna take it to crappy tire tomorrow and get it load tested.

Thanks for the tips. Will let you know how it goes.

Your bike has an imobilizer/alarm, so if you dont start the bike for a long period of time the alarm (flashing LED on tach) kills the battery. I have the exact same bike in my shop right now, the customer left it here for almost a year now, last time I started it was about 2 months ago...Just tired to start it the other day and its completely dead like yours. I tried to charge the battery but its too far gone and completely drained and not taking a charge...

There is one fuse by the battery that can also cause there to be no power what so ever, but chances are if you didnt do anything but park it. its the battery not the main fuse...

There is one fuse by the battery that can also cause there to be no power what so ever, but chances are if you didnt do anything but park it. its the battery not the main fuse...[/QUOTE]

second the 'fuse by the battery'

Hi all,

I just wanted to report back that I bought a new battery, charged it, installed it, and the bike works perfectly now.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm glad it was a simple fix.

Back
Top Bottom