URGENT!Where to check if bike has a title or lien on it without going to the ministry | GTAMotorcycle.com

URGENT!Where to check if bike has a title or lien on it without going to the ministry

TenzoR

So I got a really good deal on a motorcycle, and I don't want to lose out on another good deal. But I have work tomorrow and can not go to the ministry and get the used vehicle report to see if the bike has any title or lien on it.Is there anyway I could check this information online?Thanks for the help

I used CarProof before I bought my bike. If you need some level of assurance this would be a good place to start but you really ought to get the used vehicle information package (UVIP) or have someone like a friend or family member get it for you.

www.carproof.com

Something to keep in mind from the FAQ on their website:

Will reports be completed in the evening or on weekends?
The provinces, territories, and insurance data providers have varied hours on nights and weekends. When you submit your CarProof vehicle history search request the provinces that are available will process the request and the remainder will be queued until the provinces or territories are available. Typically, you should receive a completed report within minutes. If it is the night or weekend and a data source is not responding, you will typically have the report fully completed the following business morning.

So I got a really good deal on a motorcycle, and I don't want to lose out on another good deal. But I have work tomorrow and can not go to the ministry and get the used vehicle report to see if the bike has any title or lien on it.Is there anyway I could check this information online?Thanks for the help

Seller has to provide you with a UVIP on a vehicle, you don't have to do it yourself.

Seller has to provide you with a UVIP on a vehicle, you don't have to do it yourself.

Legally you are of course correct. But for $20 it's really not worth squabbling over if he really does have a good deal on his hands and wants to edge out anyone else interested. OP please don't get caught up in this bike too much! I've been there and I know what it's like to be all excited. That's all fine and good but I'd hate to see a follow up thread which has a bunch of people saying "you should've checked". Please make sure you do your diligence.

Good luck with your purchase and happy riding!

I am bringing a frined who is.a mechanic and have experience with bikes, so hopefully it will be ok
I think you're missing the point. Having a mechanic check the bike is always a good idea. However, he won't be able to identify if the bike has a lien or not and/or if it's a salvage title without the UVIP. Although you can spot little things that will tell you whether the bike has been dropped/crashed but to be on the safe side don't make your final decision until you have the UVIP in hand. If it's that good of a deal and you don't want to miss out on it, you can always put a small deposit and make the sale pending on a clean UVIP package.
Good Luck.

has to provide.....or what?

Sellers must:

1. Buy this package if you are selling a used vehicle privately in Ontario
  2. Show it to all prospective buyers
  3. Give it to the buyer when you sell your vehicle.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

From what I've read the seller is required to provide the UVIP. However I cannot find any information regarding the contingency or penalty (if any) in the event they do not provide it, other than the buyer having to assume the expense.

I got a uvip from the service Ontario kiosk a while ago. Need a vin # and that's it. Pay by credit card.

For no reason I could find, they removed that feature from the machines. My first guess would be privacy, but I don't know what enforcement they do in the Drivers and Vehicles office.

For no reason I could find, they removed that feature from the machines. My first guess would be privacy, but I don't know what enforcement they do in the Drivers and Vehicles office.

None. You can walk in with the VIN# on a piece of paper and ask them for the the UVIP.
I have done this several times and it was never an issue.

Back
Top Bottom