Tire pressure question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire pressure question

Buddhacide

Site Supporter
Hi all. I have a question. I recently got a set of Metzler 880's. On the Metzler site it says two things

First it says "Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual" . The it goes on to give what they consider to be "optimal" tire pressures.

For my rear tire my manual, if memory serves, says 28-32 depending on load. Metzler reccommends 44-50. This seems like quite a divergence. I just had a rear tire blow on the highway and I dont want to take any chances with the tire pressure. Can anyone lend some insight into what might be best?

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page

Thanks for the responses. I checked and its at 40, so I left it alone. I am concerned about this thoug, I always thought tire pressure should be more or less specific.

No other experiences/opinions with this? I was hoping for more responses. I've been reading about tire pressure and popular opinion seems to say yopur margin of error is about +/- 6 psi. Metzler here, if I'm reading this correct is reccommending approximately 10 more than my manual.

I run 120/190 Q2's at 31/30, but thats for a 424 lb supersport, i really can't comment on a cruiser. 28 seems pretty low. 40 sounds really high for 1 up on an 08 vulcan 900, 35 sounds about right. Its very subjective, everyone has their own preference.

Have you checked your bike manual? I understand that the required tire pressure may be different for different brand tires, but it shouldn't be very different. My old Suzuki manual had recommended tire pressure for front and rear tires, for 1-up and for 2-up. Haven't checked my Honda manual.

Have you checked your bike manual? I understand that the required tire pressure may be different for different brand tires, but it shouldn't be very different. My old Suzuki manual had recommended tire pressure for front and rear tires, for 1-up and for 2-up. Haven't checked my Honda manual.

The bike's manual will indicate pressures for the OEM tire.

If the original tire is replaced with a different brand/design, the Manual information is not relevant, so the manufacturer's pressure recommendations are what should be followed.

Different manufacturers use different design structure and features, they make a pressure recommendation based on testing.

If the original tire is replaced with a different brand/design, the Manual information is not relevant, so the manufacturer's pressure recommendations are what should be followed.

This. Really, this is pretty logical.

Go to Metzler site. It may show pressure by brand. On my Road Glide, the Metzler pressure is much higher than stock Dunlops and there are no issues.

The bike's manual will indicate pressures for the OEM tire.

Different manufacturers use different design structure and features, they make a pressure recommendation based on testing.

This does seem logical and straightforward. Thanks for the responses. What has me confused is on the Metzler site it basically says to always follow the manual AND use their reccomendations. Its confusing.

Its also not clear from the site what the ratings are for my tire. I have Marathon ME880 tires. I assume that what they are getting at is that for ME880 tires of certain sizes its one pressure, and then for specified sizes (of which mine is) its another pressure. This doesnt come accross so clearly on the site though. My first inclination was that my pressure should be in the 48-50 range, but it seems more likely im in the 40-42 range.

Last edited:
If your rear tire size is one of these use the pressure listed below.

For bikes with the following rear tire sizes: 170/80-15, 180/70-15, 150/80-16, 160/80-16, 180/60R16, 180/70R16, 200/60R16, 240/50R16, 140/80-17, 160/70-17 D spec, 170/60R17, 210/50R17, 150/70-18, 180/55ZR18, 200/50R18, 210/40R18, 260/40R18, 280/35R18, 300/35R18, 260/35R21.

[h=3][/h]
ME880 (tires as listed above)Solo2 Up Light2 Up Heavy
Rear404242

I always thought it was best to follow the bike specifications for tire pressure. But, I have been in contact with two different tire manufacturers that recommend much higher tire pressures than what is specified for the bike. They will generally suggest tire pressures the tire is designed for to provide the best "feel" and wear. They won't disagree with the bike's recommendations but, will recommend or suggest their own. Considering they know the materials and design of their own product, I'd lean more towards the tire manufacturer's recommendations over the bike's own specs. If you find the ride/suspension doesn't feel right, you can always adjust it according to the bike's specs and monitor things from there. If you just going with stock OEM, I'd stick with the bike's specs. If you go with a "premium" replacement, I'd go with the tire manufacturer's recommendations.

Clear as mud????

38-40 Rear and 36-40 Front seems to be the most commonly reported pressures ran for our bikes. I run mine 40 rear 38 front and have had service out of them. Just shy 18k on the stock Dunlops but the rear is due.. Front could make it another couple of K but i'll do it now.

Where did you get your tires from? What sizes did you go with stock or the 200 rear?.

38-40 Rear and 36-40 Front seems to be the most commonly reported pressures ran for our bikes. I run mine 40 rear 38 front and have had service out of them. Just shy 18k on the stock Dunlops but the rear is due.. Front could make it another couple of K but i'll do it now.

Where did you get your tires from? What sizes did you go with stock or the 200 rear?.

Hey Torren, thanks for posting. Its always good to get your input. Tires are standard size. I bought the tires at Zdeno Cycles in Kitchener after my rear one blew near there. I'm starting to think the reason for the blow out was low tire pressure - which I normally ran around 34 (Pirelli mt66), thinking I was being on the higher side. I got something like 25 k out of it at that pressure mind you, but it looks like it should have been higher.

Rookie mistake clearly, but the manual was certainly no help. Seems to be alot of ambiguity around this.

Last edited:
low tire pressure had nothing to do with the blowout.

If you were riding at 10psi,,, you MAY see a debeading condition under heavy lateral load, but its doubtful.

The failure was most likely caused by something mechanical like a foreign object piercing the tire and beginning the failure.

Back
Top Bottom