My First Bike part 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My First Bike part 2

H

hil330

Two years ago:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?86421-my-first-bike

I
f you don't wanna read my old thread^ basically its just me asking for advice on a first bike and insurance, two years ago. (19 yrs.)

I got a lot of good advice from everyone as far as which bike to start off with and why. At the time I said I had my course scheduled but it wasnt, only had my M1. Last week i re-wrote my M1 and then took the humber course on the tues,wed,thurs sessions. I liked this class a lot because their was a lot less students therefore more instruction and in-depth teaching with specific lessons. I asked one instructor about me starting on an R6 and he said he'll keep an eye on me to let me know. Last day I passed, and I was alot more confident on a bike. The instructor said I can handle an R6 but to be less aggressive and practice, practice, practice. So only because of how well i did in the course is why i decided to grab an R6. So for those trying to decide what bike to start on, my advice is to take the course and ask the instructors, by the test day you'll know.

So here she is:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picked it up last week Friday, 99' Yamaha YZF R6. Ive taken it for a ride just around my street, currently waiting on insurance :( i hope to ride it this season.

Anyone have decent insurance at the age of 21, G license, 5 years, bike course, and clean driving record. lmk thx.

it would be around 200 a month.
i pay 290 for bike and car. I have a 2003 gsxr 600 and saturn ion
but this is my second year riding so my insurance went down to 215
im with state farm

Amazes me when people buy a bike before figuring out insurance. Last year when I took my course there was a guy who already had his bike (young guy), lowest quote he could find was well over $4,000. Good luck, with your G though State Farm should be your best bet.

Amazes me when people buy a bike before figuring out insurance. Last year when I took my course there was a guy who already had his bike (young guy), lowest quote he could find was well over $4,000. Good luck, with your G though State Farm should be your best bet.

ya I was gonna wait, but when i seen this bike i couldnt let it go, picked it up for cheap. State farm broker called back today cause she forgot to get my bike info, so monday she is going to call me.

Well, if you buy a bike before you quote insurance, it's asking for trouble. I know a few guys who did this, and ended up selling the bike for a few hundred less (later in the season ) after they failed at insurance shopping.

Why not keep the 600 and then look into track days until the insurance comes down. I'm sure for the 1000-2000 you might pay on a (good rate) you could do a set of tires, some gear, and a few track days. Not to mention you might be a better rider after a few track days and some helpful advice than most people are after 2 seasons on the street -- Think of it as an investment?

You might then ride on the street with a different mentality than some of the guys who buy bikes, get scared/crash and then end up taking up fishing or some other hobby.

Burn.

Bro you're 21 freaking years old did you think insurance was gonna be cheap for a land rocket?? I'm more surprised that there was no one that told you to get insurance first.

You're gonna take a nice bath in it. At least you made the mistake at 21 rather then at 31.

For that kind of money you could buy something that is actually 'cool'. Cuz trust that bike is pure cheese....

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...er-1975-honda-cb55f-custom-W0QQAdIdZ290529363

Thats cool.... and guess what insurance would be??? probably a fourth of what you got quoted.

Let's see... when I was 24 State Farm wanted $430/month for an '09 650R with full coverage. Removing collision saves about $10-20/mo. TD was around $380/mo I think. Those are the only quotes I remember. I don't live in the GTA. You're gonna get screwed.

Edit: Didn't notice the post a few posts up with the Kijiji ad. Sorry to hear OP. Always check insurance on a vehicle before you buy it.

Last edited:
Just a quick bit of advice. Quit advertising your bike. It's not worth bringing in the attention you're getting.

Of course, you don't have to take this advice. Many haven't. Now they post in the stolen motorcycles thread.

Last edited:
Poor guy, he wanted to get his dream bike, bought it, could almost.. just almost ride it and BOOM! up for sale...
I almost put myself in a similar situation so I won't make fun of the OP, you just have to wait a few more years before you can become a "statistically" better rider!
In the mean time, there are very nice bikes out there that aren't considered an SS and would still be a ton of fun... keep hunting and hopefully you'll come across something that will catch your eye and put a grin on your face!
Good Luck!

The best part is that he thinks he "picked it up for cheap"... $4200 for a 99 R6? Gonna barf.

hahahahahahahahahaha.... That is ridiculously funny.... I actually feel kindof bad for the OP.. I always hate when people tell me I told you so...

Why feel bad? Buying a vehicle without finding out if you can afford it is dumb.

The best part is that he thinks he "picked it up for cheap"... $4200 for a 99 R6? Gonna barf.

+1... poor guy got too excited too quickly, didn't want to make the OP feel worst about the situation that's why I tried to avoid making any comments on the price. People make mistakes and hopefully the OP learned from his.

Back
Top Bottom