Post your first motorized vehicle. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your first motorized vehicle.

My family had a couple of AMC Hornets while I was growing up, but I never drove them. We had moved on before I got my license.

First motor vehicle that I ever operated, Sears Craftsman garden tractor, as soon as I could reach the pedals (probably when I was around 8 or 9 years old). I figured out how to drift it on the corners when mowing the lawn (rural property).

First hand-me-down car, 1978 Honda Civic hatchback, 1500 5-speed.

First motorcycle (that I bought and paid for because parents weren't in favor), 1984 Honda 450 Nighthawk.

First car/truck that I bought and paid for, 1984 Toyota pickup. That was a great truck. 4 cyl 22R carbureted, manual, 2 wheel drive, standard cab long box, vinyl on the floor and vinyl on the seat, no A/C no power steering. I drove that for years. Unfortunately, Toyota pickups back then were biodegradable.

If we want to go back to "before I was road legal", I think one of the very first actual vehicles I ever drove was actually a 1957 GMC 5-ton basically the exact same as the pic below, except with a dump box on it.

I would have been around 12-13 years old. My parents were a founding member of a private park facility (it's a long story) and my dad had some of his own earth moving equipment that was used to do the initial construction on the land, including this truck, a dozer, and an old 60's John Deere tractor.

I remember that there was quite the hubub amongst other members in the park at the time when I was seen driving the 5 ton around, helping out.

1958-gmc-370-series-stake-truck-st-ct280.jpg

1975-Rupp-Roadster-II.jpg

First bike: 1973 Rupp Roadster II - It took me 3 years delivering the Star and the Sun to save enough. At the end of the 74 season Snow City had one left -- I was $30 short, they let me work that $30 off cleaning up their yard. My mom just about killed me when I wheeled into the driveway.
1968-toyota-corona-rt40.jpg

1968 Toyota Corona, given to me by a neighbour when the clutch blew. Side mirrors were less than useless, 3 on the tree, standard everything else, no factory radio, turn signals or seatbelts. I added signals that came in a kit from Canadian Tire. Drove like a tractor but was unbreakable.

(neither iof the pics are my exact vehicle -- they are the closest I could find in the same year and colours)

Attachments

• 1968-toyota-corona-rt40.jpg
    1968-toyota-corona-rt40.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
lets ruin this thread with my modernness

2006-acura-rsx-photo-105773-s-original.jpg

2005 acura rsx

i did learn in a 6000LE and in a ford tempo as well... really tested my manual shifting skills in my buddy's accent when we roadtripped out west too

2013-honda-cb500x-the-new-middleweight-versatile-bike-51898_1.jpg

2013 cb500x

First car. MGB GT. Got one of these when I was 15 and had it restored to pretty much factory spec just before my 17th birthday. Was planning on building an MGC V8 out of it but I wadded it and wrote it off before any of that happened. Call it a learning curve about rain soaked roads and inertia drift :)

mgb-gt-jaguar-e-type.jpg
That was close to my second car, I had a 71 MGB GT. Fun to drive, hotter than Hades inside. The hard part about owning that car was the weekly bus trip to Abingdon Motors for parts -- it was a tough car to keep running! I traded it for a TR6 which was way more dependable and a lot easier to fix.

Did it have rich Corinthian leather? ;)

Not unless it was on the roof. It did have a slant six, that occasionally stalled when you went through a puddle the wrong way, because of where the distributor was.

My family had a couple of AMC Hornets while I was growing up, but I never drove them. We had moved on before I got my license.

First motor vehicle that I ever operated, Sears Craftsman garden tractor, as soon as I could reach the pedals (probably when I was around 8 or 9 years old). I figured out how to drift it on the corners when mowing the lawn (rural property).

First hand-me-down car, 1978 Honda Civic hatchback, 1500 5-speed.

First motorcycle (that I bought and paid for because parents weren't in favor), 1984 Honda 450 Nighthawk.

First car/truck that I bought and paid for, 1984 Toyota pickup. That was a great truck. 4 cyl 22R carbureted, manual, 2 wheel drive, standard cab long box, vinyl on the floor and vinyl on the seat, no A/C no power steering. I drove that for years. Unfortunately, Toyota pickups back then were biodegradable.

The Hornets were good reliable little cars, that rusted out like crazy after 10 years on the road. Not quite as bad as the Pinto. 258 six was a real sleeper of an engine.

I went looking for a used Nighthawk for my second bike, but it was in rough shape, so I ended up with a V65 Magna.

Hey Recardo, that's dates you (and me). 'Soft Corinthian Leather?' ;) https://youtu.be/tfKHBB4vt4c

[video=youtube;USfKJYZcUmI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USfKJYZcUmI[/video]

Hey Recardo, that's dates you (and me). 'Soft Corinthian Leather?' ;) https://youtu.be/tfKHBB4vt4c

LOL. Ricardo was on a talk show a few years ago and got asked about “Corinthian leather” and a good laugh was had. All marketing BS. The video is on YouTube as well, I’ll dig it up later if nobody beats me to it.

Not unless it was on the roof. It did have a slant six, that occasionally stalled when you went through a puddle the wrong way, because of where the distributor was

And some still yearn for “the old days”. ;)

Last edited:
LOL. Ricardo was in a talk show a few years ago and got asked about “Corinthian leather” and a good laugh was had. All marketing BS. The video is on YouTube as well, I’ll dig it up later if nobody beats me to it.

And some still yearn for “the old days”. ;)

I've never seen a car as big on the outside, and as small on the inside as that Volare. In the way of trucks my dad had a '63 Chevy 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup that he used to drive my highschool rugby team around in. We'd all stand and grab onto the rack. You won't see that too often nowadays. His first was a Model A.

1973 RD350
was 10 years old when I got it
paid 500 bucks
wish I still had it

If I ever sell my ‘73 RD250 I’ll let you know. Have a 350 top end that’s a straight swap so could easily make it an RD350.

Not unless it was on the roof. It did have a slant six, that occasionally stalled when you went through a puddle the wrong way, because of where the distributor was.
I had a 71 Challenger with a slant 6, her weakness was ballast resistors.

Not quite as bad as the Pinto.

You want some excitement get in head on with someone in a Mercury Marquis while driving a Bobcat (fancy Pinto).

I've never seen a car as big on the outside, and as small on the inside as that Volare.

The Cordoba was worse ... even bigger outside, and even smaller inside. Friend's dad had one. The back seat was ridiculously small. The doors were ridiculously long.

I had a 71 Challenger with a slant 6, her weakness was ballast resistors.

A racing buddy back when I started had a mid-eighties Ram van with the slant 6 and a single barrel carb (most of them were). The accelerator pedal was located on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom