Deck building? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deck building?

I had a contractor come over last night to do a quote for my house, it's 18.5' x 14' one step deck and the quote I got was $4K.

I'm going to a Home Depot seminar this weekend and see if I can build it myself.

Just for your information, if you decide not to get a permit and you get caught a number of things can take place. First a stop work order, you can get an order requiring you to get an engineers report or remove the deck all togehter and then your permit fees can double. On top of that you maybe required to go to court.

Also, changes to the building code act now states that the Municipality has one year from the time of discovery of the contruction to go to court, not one year after the completion of the project. So now building departments are more apt to go these types of violations.

Keep in mind the project planners that are offered at places like HOme Depot and Lowes are not to The Ontario Building Code, they are only for a refrerence.

Just for your information, if you decide not to get a permit and you get caught a number of things can take place. First a stop work order, you can get an order requiring you to get an engineers report or remove the deck all togehter and then your permit fees can double. On top of that you maybe required to go to court.

Also, changes to the building code act now states that the Municipality has one year from the time of discovery of the contruction to go to court, not one year after the completion of the project. So now building departments are more apt to go these types of violations.

True. This is what might or could happen, but it's like the signs that say 'Fines up to $XXXX.XX'. That is the worst possible case. Real world, usually a lot less difficult unless you try to piss off the inspector. Like cops, when you get caught, time to kiss ass.

True. This is what might or could happen, but it's like the signs that say 'Fines up to $XXXX.XX'. That is the worst possible case. Real world, usually a lot less difficult unless you try to piss off the inspector. Like cops, when you get caught, time to kiss ***.

It's your neighbours that report it. Last year someone my street built a shed under his deck/stairs. Someone reported him, the city ordered him to stop and take it down. He finished it and left it alone. He's still waiting on them to come and take it down... it's been a few months.

Geez. That's what pisses me off with people. Some neighbours just can't keep their noses out of others business. I look at it (personally) as if it doesn't negatively affect me, all the best to ya. If it's a hazzard, I'll mention it to ya so you can make it better. Some just have to be the friggin back yard nazis. The person is spending their own money to make their life more pleasant. Why try to **** them over???? You really have to have no life to be that way. So **** you all you backyard nazi police.!
And take note. I said negatively. That means a wicked butt ugly eyesore from my lot, affecting the daylight on my yard, anything attached to 'our' fences, etc. In those cases, a simple conversation with the neighbour to mutually come to a compromise is all that's needed. If they don't want to compromise, then I would mention the building code etc. Then if they still insisted on screwing me over, then they aren't much of a nice neighbour and they deserve a good 'building code inspection'!!! This is all only if I was getting screwed over in a really bad way.

Get a deck plan/ design from Home Depot/ Rona/ whoever and submit them to the city for approval/ permit. Do not submit cost from designer.Just go low on cost estimate. If your plan is up to code, you'll have no worries. Especially if some ****** up neighbour has an issue. This is the way I went and happy I did. Good luck.

I had a contractor come over last night to do a quote for my house, it's 18.5' x 14' one step deck and the quote I got was $4K.

I'm going to a Home Depot seminar this weekend and see if I can build it myself.

$4k for a 260 sft deck is only about $15/sft. when I was in school I spent my summers building decks and fences to pay tuition, that was 10 years ago and I wouldn't touch a deck for less than $20/sft (and I was one of the cheaper guys....)

Um, guys, Marius is a spammer :/ how come you can't see that?

$4k for a 260 sft deck is only about $15/sft. when I was in school I spent my summers building decks and fences to pay tuition, that was 10 years ago and I wouldn't touch a deck for less than $20/sft (and I was one of the cheaper guys....)

I would actually be slightly worried about that price. It's hard to hit $15/Sq ft without cheaping out a lot on materials (expect 2x6 framing on 24, only a couple anchors holding ledger to house, no flashing etc). The last deck I built was a little fancy but nothing crazy (pressure treated, under rail lighting, BBQ enclosure, shade sail, 6x6 posts etc) and materials cost me $50/Sq ft.

Back
Top Bottom