Deck building? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deck building?

ajaxguy

Ok I am going to be putting a new deck on my house. I just tore down the contractor crappy small one yesterday and have a guy coming to dig the holes and pour the concrete.
Now i have no idea with this stuff, and was looking at getting a guy to just do the framing as i can lay boards and get help with the railings.

I was wondering if anyone knows someone that can do this for a fair price? I am on a fairly tight budget and could attempt it myself, but suck at renos.
I heard the right person could do all the framing in like 2 days. Its a 16x16 upper deck and a 14x 16 lower deck.
Any help appreciated! I would pay cash and could help and get more help with the actual labour, just need the expertise.

No not yet, getting mixed opinions on wether we need one or not. I heard its more if when we decide to sell and they can make us get it then, but im not sure.

We built our deck a year after we moved in the new house. Didn't get a permit and didn't have a problem selling the house.

Built a 16x16 deck. Do yourself a favour and go to home depot. Figure out how to DIY. It's not that hard, just takes a lot of time. Lots of resources on the interwebz for this kind of thing.

sit down with the project desk at your choice of big box store and plan out your deck

it will price out all of the components including bags of concrete, sonotubes, etc., right up to the railings and risers for the steps.

i built a two-level, 44' x 14' deck this way, with elevated eating area, sunken hot tub area, and two pergolas.

you will get a clear building plan to go by, as well, with locations of posts.

since you're dropping holes, i surmise it won't be a floating deck, so i'm guessing you'll be anchoring to a wall of your house--hammer drill would be good, if you don't already have one, and a good chop saw (sliding compound mitre if you can afford it would be a godsend).

this is a fantastic job to diy, and i had an enjoyable few weeks putting together mine. i spent more and used trex, but it was totally worth it, imho, as seven years later, it still looks mint.

Ok thats what i thought, they say its just one of the problems if you dont get one, but we have no intention of moving anyways.

I have searched all over the web, but I just suck at that kinda work, especialyl measurements and stuff or else i would love to build it myself!
I dont mind paying just for the framing if its a good price ya know.

We built our deck a year after we moved in the new house. Didn't get a permit and didn't have a problem selling the house.

Built a 16x16 deck. Do yourself a favour and go to home depot. Figure out how to DIY. It's not that hard, just takes a lot of time. Lots of resources on the interwebz for this kind of thing.

Ok thats what i thought, they say its just one of the problems if you dont get one, but we have no intention of moving anyways.

I have searched all over the web, but I just suck at that kinda work, especialyl measurements and stuff or else i would love to build it myself!
I dont mind paying just for the framing if its a good price ya know.

the exact accuracy of the framing is not terribly important (you can be off by a bit) because the brackets that you drop the joists into when you're framing will allow for it.

a good measuring tape with a decent standout (not a dollar store one, but a generic lufkin) will do the trick--like the ole chestnut goes--measure twice, cut once.

As for permits I think you need one if it is over 10 sq.m (~108 sq.ft) or over 2 feet high, but I am not sure and it may depend on jurisdication. The downside of NOT getting a permit is they may make you take it down (all it takes is a neighbour to complain). The contractor may also cut corners if you do not have the facts on what is right and wrong. Permit price is likely not all that much. If it requires it and you are having someone else build it I would always get the permit.

For the last deck I built I used screw pyles (rona sells them) instead of concrete footings (and I will never go back to concrete). Cheaper (considering equipment rental, labour, cement, etc.), faster, they hold somthing like 5000 lbs each, easy to put in yourself, they are adjustable and they are more tree root friendly. The code allows them BUT the deck must be full floating (which I prefer anyways for decks that are low to the ground). It is old well proven technology.

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~pylex-adjustable-foundation-screw-pylex-366997_!pylex_shop

Most stores have a deck build guide that will walk you through what you need to do/buy.

PS, reread your post, two level and the size get a permit no if and or buts. You will have to use cement footings because you should be attaching to the house.

Last edited:
I have the plans already that i got from the pro desk at home depot and thats why I was able to get the stakes out for the posts as well as most of the material, so thats not the problem, its just actually building it! lol
I mean, I guess i could give it a shot, I just dont want to screw up and end up wasting all that expensive material!

I literally have all the beams, joists, screws, anchors, tubes and everything already bought, now it just needs to be made!
heck all you guys that did it yourself, come on over this weekend, I will have lots of beer, bbq and even some brown bills in your pocket!

http://www.townofajax.com/Page744.aspx

From above
"The department has produced a user-friendly guide about building decks, which is available from the Building Approvals Section at 65 Harwood Ave. South."

Might be a good place to start.

After seeing what happens whens a building inspector is called and they decide to flex their muscle I always air on the side of caution. Nothing worse then when they make you take it all down and put a stop work order until permits are on site.

I've even seen in Toronto where they were just driving by and my neighbours were just replacing rotted boards on an existing front porch (no permit required for that) but the threats the bylaw/building inspector guy was making when he assumed they were building a new structure were crazy. He was going to make them rip up their entire deck and move it back a few feet. Good thing it was just re-working on an old already existing structure and managed to talk the guy down.

What I can't understand is with how militant these guys are (driving around looking for any debris outside of houses) how the hell are there so many slum houses in Toronto. Someone must be greasing the right palms.

I could see that! I mean im in a newer subdivision and I dont think they would be driving around as much as an older neighbourhood. I mean, my mother in law had hickory dickory decks install a deck and even they didnt get a permit!

After seeing what happens whens a building inspector is called and they decide to flex their muscle I always air on the side of caution. Nothing worse then when they make you take it all down and put a stop work order until permits are on site.

I've even seen in Toronto where they were just driving by and my neighbours were just replacing rotted boards on an existing front porch (no permit required for that) but the threats the bylaw/building inspector guy was making when he assumed they were building a new structure were crazy. He was going to make them rip up their entire deck and move it back a few feet. Good thing it was just re-working on an old already existing structure and managed to talk the guy down.

What I can't understand is with how militant these guys are (driving around looking for any debris outside of houses) how the hell are there so many slum houses in Toronto. Someone must be greasing the right palms.

I used to be a custom deck builder with my own business. You should get a permit but then again, I only pulled a few permits in my time. (No longer doing it as my back is completely shot from the years of heavy lifting combined with deteriorating lower disks....yada yada) Anyhow. If you don't pull a permit, just be sure whoever does it knows their codes. As long as it is up to or exceeding the codes of the region, then they'll just make you provide simple drawings. They may give you an extremely insignificant fee to pay along with the permit fee. The only iffy thing they will want is proof of the footings depth. Take pics with tape measure to show the depth and diameter with date on the pic. Otherwise they will make you dig down and show them....Railings can be a huge cluster ****. The morons that drew up the codes, were nothing more than pencil pushers and don't know jack about what physically works and what doesn't with 2by lumber.
For a deck, just make sure the neighbours are ok with you and what they will be looking at if makes their privacy compromised. Otherwise, research and get it done on your own. Deck builders are expensive... :) Material is enough to pay for.
Oh Yeah..I would wait until the entire subdivision is complete!!!!!!!!There are still building inspectors running around for the new homes.
Also allows the grading to settle or things may 'move' on you. Footings are down to undisturbed soil, but they can still move laterally. Believe me..
Also. I think the builder has rights to do any grading in your yard if there is a problem for approximately 1 year from the end of closing. Not sure on specific time frame. Basically this means if you have a fence or anything in the way of them bringing in a blade or backhoe to repair the grading..........it will be removed or you will have to remove it. AT YOUR OWN COST!. The builder will have no liability to reset/repair/replace anything!!!!!!! I've seen hundreds of feet of fence taken down and gazebos moved. People get pretty riled up but it's in the agreement in fine print. Ranks up there with clothes lines and satellite dishes.

Last edited:
This is great to know! If i decide against the permits, I will definately take the pics in case i come across a problems with inspectors.
It definately will be to code, and i know just based on neighbours gargantuen decks that mine should not be a problems. i have no neighbours behind me, just a city fence and a pond.
Also, the subdivision is done, my house is almost 4 years ols so I dont suspect anything else will be going on back there that would require me taking anything down.

I used to be a custom deck builder with my own business. You should get a permit but then again, I only pulled a few permits in my time. (No longer doing it as my back is completely shot from the years of heavy lifting combined with deteriorating lower disks....yada yada) Anyhow. If you don't pull a permit, just be sure whoever does it knows their codes. As long as it is up to or exceeding the codes of the region, then they'll just make you provide simple drawings. They may give you an extremely insignificant fee to pay along with the permit fee. The only iffy thing they will want is proof of the footings depth. Take pics with tape measure to show the depth and diameter with date on the pic. Otherwise they will make you dig down and show them....Railings can be a huge cluster ****. The morons that drew up the codes, were nothing more than pencil pushers and don't know jack about what physically works and what doesn't with 2by lumber.
For a deck, just make sure the neighbours are ok with you and what they will be looking at if makes their privacy compromised. Otherwise, research and get it done on your own. Deck builders are expensive... :) Material is enough to pay for.
Oh Yeah..I would wait until the entire subdivision is complete!!!!!!!!There are still building inspectors running around for the new homes.
Also allows the grading to settle or things may 'move' on you. Footings are down to undisturbed soil, but they can still move laterally. Believe me..
Also. I think the builder has rights to do any grading in your yard if there is a problem for approximately 1 year from the end of closing. Not sure on specific time frame. Basically this means if you have a fence or anything in the way of them bringing in a blade or backhoe to repair the grading..........it will be removed or you will have to remove it. AT YOUR OWN COST!. The builder will have no liability to reset/repair/replace anything!!!!!!! I've seen hundreds of feet of fence taken down and gazebos moved. People get pretty riled up but it's in the agreement in fine print. Ranks up there with clothes lines and satellite dishes.

If you call a few deck companies (large ones) and ask if they pull permits, it isn't high on their list at all. Depends on what the job is about. They will obviously suggest that it 'can' be done, to cover their ***** but in the end turns out to be more of a waste of time and money. But to each his own. A permit will protect the home owner in a huge way. The back yard bandit, not so much. You take your chances and decide what is best in your specific case.
If it is encroaching property lines, be careful. If it can be seen from the neighbours yards, be careful, if you already ****** one neighbour off, well....pull a permit. BTW. If a deck such as a walkout height is built, you may require to have the neighbours to the left, right, and the 3 behind you if applicable to say 'Yes, it won't bother us' on PAPER, if there wasn't a deck there already and they don't have decks at that height as well. This keeps them from getting jealous at your remarkable deck and suddenly doing an about face. A lookout height deck isn't so touchy. So this is where the permit comes in again....lol...

Back
Top Bottom