female helmet question | GTAMotorcycle.com

female helmet question

l2iceman

hey guys, I'm trying to get a helmet for my gf and have some questions.

We went in to cycleworld in scarborough twice over last weekend to try on helmets. The lady there recommended XXS helmets from Joe Rocket(I think that was also the only make they had in that size, the other makes having XS as their smallest). The difference between the XXS and the XS fitting on my gf's head wasn't too much of a difference, with the XXS being tighter(less movement when she tried to turn her head sideways while I held the helmet straight).

1) are "women's" helmets different in sizing? The reason I ask this is that the websites I've found that have a category for "women" helmets don't state measuring, simply "xs, sm, m, lg, xl" - are these sizes the same as for men generally and simply titled "women's" due to the design on them?

2) how tight should the helmet be? the XS was still snug, but compared to the XXS, I'm worried whether the XXS would be TOO snug...maybe less cushion if there ever was an impact? She put on both sizes and both were comfortable.

I've done alot of research on DOT and SNELL ratings, and we are comfortable going with DOT rated helmets as SNELL rated helmets in XXS or XS are very hard to find(and without spending an arm and a leg for it)

1- DOT certification is a requirement for road use, not an option. Snell certification isn't worth any extra cash.
2- Get the smallest helmet that will fit without causing pain.
3- Don't listen to the lady at Cycleworld.

What Faster said, here is a little video on helmet sizing.
[video=youtube;4U5UE-13Tp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5UE-13Tp8[/video]
[video=youtube;Fh1LNmj3rcY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1LNmj3rcY[/video]

Last edited:

LOL! Yeah, if it's the same lady I dealt with (the older one with the thick accent) she is completely clueless and more likely to get you killed than save your skull. She should be working in a clothing store, not a motorcycle/safety equipment store.

Great second video. I had to watch it a couple of times and even now, I can't quite recall what she was talking about, something about fitting into bikinis, or something like that...?

I definitely heard something referring to helmets in a great British accent... I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

:tongue9:

1- DOT certification is a requirement for road use, not an option. Snell certification isn't worth any extra cash.
2- Get the smallest helmet that will fit without causing pain.

+1

its true.

going small is good, but not to the point where it causes discomfort. The helmet I have is presently too small.
Part of my jawbone is a little out of the bottom. There should be a slight degree of movement if u ask me

is it me or does everything at cycleworld seem so much more expensive...try GP bikes... the guys there will find a good fitting helmet for your girl and they know their stuff.

is it me or does everything at cycleworld seem so much more expensive...try GP bikes... the guys there will find a good fitting helmet for your girl and they know their stuff.

I find myself trying to give my business more to GP or especially Snow City since it's close for me. CW is too, but they're sometimes off the wall for pricing. Can get some good deals there though, just like other places, just gotta keep an eye out.

That said, I'm much more obliged to buy a helmet from the other guys since they don't try to sell you the floor model that could have been dropped 10 times. I saw one of the GP reps drop a helmet, and immediately put it in the back room as damaged product. Not sure I'd trust CW to do the same.

I don't think there's really such thing as 'women's' helmets in regards to sizing. Some have butterflys and pink stuff, but AFAIK helmet sizes are unisex. I'm pretty tiny and wear a Shoei XS.

Go to GP Bikes or another shop and talk to someone who actually knows what they're doing in terms of helmet fitting.

The only difference between men's and women's helmets is graphics. Men get normal, decent looking lids. We're offered retarded, over-the-top, child graphics.

+1 to going somewhere that knows their gear. GP Bikes or Rider's Choice are two places to start.

If your girlfriend's head is rather tiny, try a youth helmet. I got my girlfriend a Youth's Medium and she found it way more comfortable.
P.S. Big up to the 2nd video. I'm glad she just had to be in a bikini for some reason XD

The only difference between men's and women's helmets is graphics. Men get normal, decent looking lids. We're offered retarded, over-the-top, child graphics

flowers. don't forget the flowers. oh, and butterflies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom