In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

I just took the 400 burgman to haliburton for the weekend. I did 130kph most of the way with no issues. It was a good highway ride and I'd use the burgman to go up again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thanks - wondered about the 400 - one of my staff is starting out and it might be a good ride for him.

If you are interested in occasional trips around S Ontario pm me - prefer a rider with a Scala tho.

I'm up at the Shed a lot too.

Hrm, seems like I should have bought a scooter or at least some type of touring bike with space on it. Commuting on this ZZR is painful. Maybe I'll pick grab one for next season to go alongside my XS650 after I ditch the ZZR.

You're too good a shill, MacDoc. Damn you!

I just took the 400 burgman to haliburton for the weekend. I did 130kph most of the way with no issues. It was a good highway ride and I'd use the burgman to go up again in a heartbeat.

Please describe no issues (seriously). Vibration through seat, boards, grips? Passing power at that speed? Turbulence? Comfort level after 3 hours? I really like the idea of a 400 (because of downtown commutes), but I'm worried it may flounder on the highway. About 6' and 220# here.

Looks like I'll be shopping seriously next week without selling my bike first. Nobody seemed interested, so it's gonna rock the Manitoulin run.

Wife has one. My complaint is that it's too damned heavy. Otherwise, enjoyable to ride and she went 300km with me Sunday.

Please describe no issues (seriously). Vibration through seat, boards, grips? Passing power at that speed? Turbulence? Comfort level after 3 hours? I really like the idea of a 400 (because of downtown commutes), but I'm worried it may flounder on the highway. About 6' and 220# here.

Looks like I'll be shopping seriously next week without selling my bike first. Nobody seemed interested, so it's gonna rock the Manitoulin run.

Well I'm 6'1 and 250lbs. Its a sturdy ride although the big transport trucks do cause a bit of turbulence. The ride is smooth and I felt very little vibration. Pick and passing power is o.k. and will do you just fine at any speed up to 125-130kph after that it takes a bit of pushing to really pass with authority. After three hours I felt pretty good, Better then I do on my 750ss. However you being 6 foot may find that the scoot is on the verge of feeling too small as I found I could have used a little more leg room. You will also find yourself sitting with your head above the stock windscreen. However I think you would do better the the stock screen because we installed a Givi windscreen in it and now the wind shoots straight at my head and that's not fun on a three hour highway run. As for handling its one of the top corner eaters I've ever put into a corner. Light, agile, and it will change its line the moment you need it to with out any upset to the machine at all. Brakes are pretty good as well. Its a GREAT city commuter as it has tons of storage (two full face helmets fit under the seat) and gas can't be beat. I would totally suggest one for a commuter but if your more into tour style riding I'd say get the 650cc version as I hear its all that the 400 has and more!

Last edited:
Thanks, Venom. Highway performance sounds acceptable, similar to my older Civic. The Motorcycle Ergonomics web page shows nearly identical fit and size. The 650 seems to have a slightly higher seat/bars and a few degrees more legroom. Only a sit-down will tell, I guess.

If you are close to Mississauga you can come by and check out the 650.

That said the 400 is likely a better city/short commute bike as would be the Silverwing. Both are lighter and the SWing a bit more agile but the 650 far more stable at high speeds.
Did not feel all that comfortable on the SWing above 120.
650 is rock solid as fast as you are willing to push it.....and a joy in the twisties.

It's heavy in the city tho....even tho the weight is down low.

Just had to add this enthusiastic post from an experienced rider who took the plunge. Completely hooked now despite numerous other bikes - they say garaged - the Burgman gets ridden......

t`s the tale of what lead to me buying my 650 Burgman Executive and some photos of it.

I`d been intrigued by these "Maxi Scooters" for a few years.

I`d looked at them.

I`d read about them.

I`d been outdragged from enough sets of traffic lights by them....even on my 1100cc motorbikes.
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I`d seen enough of them disappear over the horizon.

I`ve currently got all the bikes I thought I`d ever want,and like I them,love them and use them.
Especially my two russian Ural sidecar outfits,which are truly in my blood and part of me.
And a brand new street legal quad.

BUT......

read on

http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53973

Any bike that fits a couple of 12 beer cases is tits in my books!

How much Tupperware do you have to remove to get at the functional bits? Seems like a pain to work on them.

How much Tupperware do you have to remove to get at the functional bits? Seems like a pain to work on them.

Basic stuff like air filter or spark plug is not that bad actually

Basic stuff like air filter or spark plug is not that bad actually

The big scoots are singles?

This the tool that comes under the seat for working on the spark plug or are your choices: make your own or rip all the tupperware off?

If there's a second plug. Where is it? Apparently it's right beside the other one. Missing the second plug seems to be a little too common.

Ah the two parts on the left are under the seat. You need a 9/16" socket wrench.

Funny thing, they talk about spark plug on that thread too. Ah its a 400.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&p=278007

file.php

Here's a video of a guy replacing the plug:
The under the seat tool that he uses was manufactured to be exactly the wrong length.

[video=youtube;3BjyR_rZZRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BjyR_rZZRg&feature=player_embedded#at=205[/video]

On the 650 you have to move the radiator
[video=youtube;-3ThC4KLFFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ThC4KLFFo[/video]

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of fairing removal involved with most maintenance, although oil changes look dead simple on the 400. A bit more complicated on the multi-sump 650 (motor-clutch-gear drive). The 650's air filter is behind one of the glove boxes. A few fasteners and there it it. Nothing dramatic enough to discourage me, though. Any faired sportbike is just as tightly packaged.

Last edited:
Yeah I got the 400 to work with. Don't know much about the 650

These are also soft tuned bikes so most Burgman owners don't bother with plug changes except at very long intervals.

Oil level light is on the cockpit dash and there is an oil change indicator that comes on every 5k km

Many riders have 50,000 miles on theirs and one guy has 140,000 miles.

Solid unstressed motors and the CVT makes the motor load very even. It's weird....the RPMs stay within a couple of hundred rpm and you just go faster....there is no discrete shifts at all......if you do it carefully you can go from 10 kph to 110 and not vary more than a few percent from 4000 rpm.

The ABS on the back is tricky ( sensor issue ) and you need right angle stems as the wheels are smallish and tight to get to the air.

But I've now got 55,000 km on 3 different maxi's and not one single thing has gone wrong with any other than needing a new battery. I'm not anal on maintenance either - one thing I like about them....don't have to be.

Roll and go.

Back
Top Bottom