In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

I'll be getting a container for the rest of the household goods so cost really would not apply. I'd contact some of the touring companies or start a thread asking for info - people do this regularly. Google is your friend on this ;)

Cairns is hell and gone in the North East ( where that monster cyclone came ashore ) and Australia is huge so "it depends"

I do have 1 minor complaint and that is I did not like how flimsy the stock windscreen was on the 400. It really would flop around on the highway. However we installed a Givi windscreen on it and it cured that right away.

I switched to a Givi and quickly switched back. Found the Givi too much back pressure - did not like the curve at the top ( stock is flat ) and was flimsy gauge compared to stock unit.

The stock unit feels more like a sports bike - Givi is too confining for me. I'm 5. 9 and if you were taller can see the stock unit feeling inadequate.

Now I'm referring to the 650 - so the 400 may indeed be flimsy. 650 is a solid chunk.

Cool - glad this thread is getting some activity generated.

Caught this just up on the Burgman main site. He's not the first - and I was briefly tempted last year with a big Beemer til I rode it...I'll .take the 650 Burgie any day.

I made a trip today to pick up the 650 I bought last week. Rode home three hours in and out between 45 degree mist and rain, arriving home cold, damp, and happy.
icon_cheers.gif
The bike is an '05, 4800 miles, in silver with a rear luggage rack for $3,700. It is a joy to ride - I never should have sold my '08. Bought a Guzzi after that one, found myself riding less and less and realized I was missing the comfort and convenience of the Burgman. My ever-patient wife is laughing at the fact that I sold a Burgman to buy a "regular" motorcycle, only to sell that for another Burgman. Live and learn.
icon_lol.gif

http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52597

I switched to a Givi and quickly switched back. Found the Givi too much back pressure - did not like the curve at the top ( stock is flat ) and was flimsy gauge compared to stock unit.

The stock unit feels more like a sports bike - Givi is too confining for me. I'm 5. 9 and if you were taller can see the stock unit feeling inadequate.

Now I'm referring to the 650 - so the 400 may indeed be flimsy. 650 is a solid chunk.

Yeah, when I got to take it out I was sitting with my head over the windscreen. Weird why they would put a chunky windscreen on the 650. You think they would use the same one on both. Any speed over 80kph and the screen would slightly twist and wobble in the wind. The Givi however, while not as sporty looking was solid and offered great protection.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

The 650 is big step up all around so makes some sense.

•••••••

this was a good response to the original post on the Burgman site.

Re: NEW Burgman 650 Owner - What brought me to the Burgman

by R1200 » Fri May 13, 2011 23:09 23
I can remember each motorcycle and scooter I've had over the past 40+ years of riding totaling 19 scooters and 38 motorcycles. Your description and write up is very accurate. I first noticed that the average Burgman riders doesn't feel the need to prove that they are motorcyclist to the world and ride the Burgman for their own personal reasons. Many of them in this forum have very extensive motorcycling experience. There are even motorcyclist who have more years of riding than myself and finally decided to find something easier to ride than the Burgman due to age and/or health reasons, but they still
ride
thumbsup.gif

We also have our share of military active duty and military veterans who couldn't care less about what others think about our motorbikes(Burgman). I just came back yesterday from a round trip L.A. to L.V. for a total of over 600+mi in 2 days and plan another trip next week L.A., CA into AZ next week which should be 1000+mi round trip.

I've had my share of owning BMWs, Harleys, Goldwings, etc. To travel light on my Burgman, rather than fancy luggage -I used grocery bags to separate items then put everything into a tall garbage bag to save space under the Burgman seat. First time I've tried anything like this, but was going for efficiency rather than fancy luggage under the Burgman saddle.

Another interesting note is how Burgman 400 and 650 owners co-exist very peacefully. Some even have both the 400 and 650 Burgman. Riding a Burgman is a choice as long as he/she is riding, no one really gives a 'hoot' what type of Burgman a person rides. This last trip I was very impressed with the Burgman. I made this same trip on my former R1200R and F800GS end of last summer -IMHO, I found that the Burgman more comfortable than both my R1200 and F800.

Great read Mac - this one you posted is cool looking .

BTW - I have ridden with Mac Doc and know what his Bergman can do - I was more then impressed
Take him along on some twistys and he will show you how good they are and fast .

The G-Strider is how cruisers would look, today, if HD hadn't had such success with miring them in the 1930s.

There might be fewer scooter haters if Suzuki had actually produced the G-Strider; a vaguely Akira-esque cruiserish monstrosity, that I thoroughly love the looks of.

My first bike was a Honda Elite 250 that I put around 60K on while commuting to school, and generally puttering around.

I love Suzuki's funkier concepts, I forgot about that one. I'd ride it!

no doubt the burg is comfy and fast. I'd love the storage, but I just couldn't bare to be seen on it. and that's coming from an ex500 owner. I'm standing on shacky grounds calling anything ugly... it would be great to have storage, and freedom.. but.. no...

now the G-strider... I would buy that in a heartbeat and love to be seen on it. I'm baffled there aren't others like it. storage of a scoot and sexy looks. akira is right. one day when I have access to a welder again I'll have to try converting a scooter to some strange akira monster.

The G-Strider looks like Suzuki's answer to the DN-01. Did anyone actually buy one?

Y'know I actually looked and tried to find a used one online which meant someone actually bought one but only found new.
One of Honda's less smart creations.
I'd not trade my Burgman for it tho the extra power would be nice. The DN-01 has a big top speed - little wonder given the design.

Y'know I actually looked and tried to find a used one online which meant someone actually bought one but only found new.
One of Honda's less smart creations.
I'd not trade my Burgman for it tho the extra power would be nice. The DN-01 has a big top speed - little wonder given the design.

Or the price. I seriously thought it was a miss print when I saw $16,000 for a new one. Whaaaat?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thank you for the professional write-up. I surely enjoy my V-Strom, but I will be 69 soon, and in time my ability to straddle a medium-size motorcycle will fade. You have encouraged me to consider the Burgman very seriously.

You'll enjoy it and not just for the step through :D Haunt the Burgman site for a while.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php

In Florida with the rain you get and the weight of the Burgman I think the Exec with ABS would be smart.

••••

Or the price. I seriously thought it was a miss print when I saw $16,000 for a new one. Whaaaat?
Well loaded Burgman Exec gets into the 12k range and Honda is always pricey.
But still $16k for a somewhat impractical ride is over the top.

2009_Honda_DN-01_IMG_0216.jpg

review is here
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-honda-dn01-review-quick-ride-88080.html

damn only a 680 cc too.... fugedaboudit.

and no protection

2009_Honda_DN-01_IMG_0240.jpg
vs
suzuki-burgman-400-scooter-2009-1.jpg
burgman-road.jpg

Did some checking. Premiums on the 650 exec are pretty decent and laughably low on the 400. Decisions, decisions.

Depending on your weight and size.
City riding the 400 - anything beyond that the 650 will pay in the long run especially for touring.
Big draw on the Exec is the ABS
There are standard non execs around in the $4k-5k range.
New is only Execs in Canada.

Lots of US deals ....hang out on the Burgman board.

a bargoon to get your feet wet

7341bf8_20.jpeg

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...kes-04-SUZUKI-BURGMAN-400-W0QQAdIdZ283762153#

This scooter has been well looked after by an older man [65-+]It has very low mileage,has a new battery,and a fresh oil change..For any more information please call this number as I'm posting this for a friend 705-544-8419 THANKS
$3200

This one is a beaut but expensive

5036f86_20.jpeg

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ady-owned-well-maintained-W0QQAdIdZ274821223#

I'd tend to this one tho for the same price.

4256kg9_20.jpeg

2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Pearl White, excellent condition,
alarm system included, 15,232 kms.
$5199.00 plus $5.00 omvic, 13% Hst, Owner Transfer $10.00.Plus plate & valid sticker.
For more info contact Asselstine Country 1-877-986-4437 or
e-mail ac.service@xplornet .com

Last edited:
Thought I would bump this :D

a) came across this poll on the Burgman site and while the poll results are of note to Burgman riders it's the variety of reasons people give for their choice I found most interesting and would likely be of interest to anyone considering a switch or general curiousity. Some surprises in there.

http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41660

also....
I just happen to be selling my 2005 Burgman......got a shiny almost new 2009 to take to Australia. Oddly enough given the post above

4256kg9_20.jpeg

That's the exact colour I bought tho the Executive version.

ad is here for the 2005 with pics
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...2005-Burgman-certified-4500&highlight=burgman

Burgfront.jpg

enjoyed the Silver look tho. I ride at night a lot and the white will help a bit and love the extra toys on the Exec.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom