In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

Re: Continuously Variable Nerves.

I guess Suzuki really does include a little bit of squidliness in everything they make. You just need to know how to wring it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbQO5QtN-o

Or the rider really needs to pee.

Crazy self absorbed italian guy. Funny how he slowed down and stopped for a pedestrian, but treats everyone else..heck, even the cop, with arrogant disrespect.

La tua fortuna finirà per esaurirsi.

No shortage of Go Pros posting foolishness, Italian or otherwise. One of the few videos that made me flinch to the end though. I wonder how rashed those fairings are--he can't always have that sort of luck.

La tua fortuna finirà per esaurirsi.

I had to ask my dad what this meant. ?
#ImABadWop

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I was always interested in the Burgman and when this thread was created I have been following along, I have been without a bike for two years, last ride was a Vulcan 900 which I sold to set an example for my then wife about budgetary responsibility, separated a few months later and started getting that itch every spring, and with more time on my hands (kids alternate weeks) I regretting selling the Vulcan as I could have easily done guilt free weekend tours. Decided to get back into it and as an individual who cares not what others thing but more about what is practical and to satisfy my curiosity, just picked up a 2005 Silverwing. Did my research and the Silverwing slots in nicely between the burgman 400 and 650 as a good commuter and touring bike. Pick it up Saturday and looking forward to the summer :)

Congrats, the Silverwing is a decent machine. Shame Honda replaced it with the Integra, which is more of a weird hybrid than a proper scoot. While the CVT is a nice break in lousy traffic, it's the trunk that makes maxis work. Add a top-box and park the car for spring/summer/fall. Enjoy!

Yeah - I started on the big scoots on a SWing....enjoyed it but the scheduled maintenance put me off as I ride a lot. If ou wrench yourself I think that could be downplayed.

It does fit right between the B400 and the B650 - it is quick - can almost hang with B650 off the line but brakes and lighting not as good.

I suspect very durable.
This is the review that got me into the category.
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

Mine was blue ...technically it's a 550 but Honda bumps it to 600 in the ads.
honda-silverwing_action_.jpg

Lot of respect for the Honda middle motors cept the 700.
It was only the belt replacements that put me off the machine ......and a single stopper up front for a heavy bike.

Last edited:

Yeah - I started on the big scoots on a SWing....enjoyed it but the scheduled maintenance put me off as I ride a lot. If ou wrench yourself I think that could be downplayed.

It does fit right between the B400 and the B650 - it is quick - can almost hang with B650 off the line but brakes and lighting not as good.

I suspect very durable.
This is the review that got me into the category.
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

Mine was blue ...technically it's a 550 but Honda bumps it to 600 in the ads.
honda-silverwing_action_.jpg

Lot of respect for the Honda middle motors cept the 700.
It was only the belt replacements that put me off the machine ......and a single stopper up front for a heavy bike.

Thanks I was scanning the used market for Burgmans (400 and 650), T-Max, and Silverwings. This one came along and having done my research I went for it. I can handle most maintenance on my own and I won't likely to do much major touring, maybe a couple of overnight's to PA but I will mainly be commuting on this thing. Free parking and gas mileage beats the cost of driving my minvan downtown or taking the Go - and its more fun!

This might be a question better posted on the insurance forum, but there are some big scoot owners here - do you know of any insurance companies that will classify these things differently or (as I am finding) are the just classified as 600cc motorcycles? I have a decent price on insurance already but am wondering if there's a company that could do better based on classification?
Thanks.

This might be a question better posted on the insurance forum, but there are some big scoot owners here - do you know of any insurance companies that will classify these things differently or (as I am finding) are the just classified as 600cc motorcycles? I have a decent price on insurance already but am wondering if there's a company that could do better based on classification? Thanks.

It will depend on your record and insurer, but the premiums should be better than a motorcycle of similar displacement. Much less than a SS for sure. Big scoots aren't considered desirable by thieves or squids and the owner demographic is reasonably sedate, resulting in a lower claims rate.

Why would a 600 lb bike capable of 160 kph + be classified any different than other rides other than SS bikes.

Why would a 600 lb bike capable of 160 kph + be classified any different than other rides other than SS bikes.

Because they're not ridden by the same types of people, in the same way, and will therefore have their own actuarial tables.

p.s. I thought you had a Suzuki, did you sell it and buy a Honda?

Because they're not ridden by the same types of people, in the same way, and will therefore have their own actuarial tables.

Ummm except for SS crowd ...it's just another mid-range bike. It was the same insurance cost for the Burgman 650 Exec as the Vstrom 650 and the CBF1000 with TD tho the CBF1000 is a tad more with the current insurer.

Got my price for the 2009 650 Exec so flipped it my beauty shot for the ad :D

....had a good 4 year run for a capital cost of $3k and 1 battery aside from too many tires ( put on 60,000 km ). Still have a few farkles left if I get another.

I almost scored one at a good price last fall but guy committed then sold it out from under me.

Happy with the CBF1000 which is lighter, better brakes ( that's saying something too ) and a complete rush when rolling on.
Not as good storage or weather protection and quite a bit higher fuel consumption plus a chain .....uck.
But I can at least keep up with the kid on his FZ8 now.

I've also got a Vstrom 650 I won't be selling so the second bike will tend to rotate over the next 4 years until I move to Australia....nother Burgman 650 might be in that rotation.
I like having two rides now I figured out I can insure one of them for 1/2 price July 1st to Feb :D I put 9k km on between Sept 15th and Dec last year.

Not sure I will take any bike to Aus as the KLR650 is doing me for now and distances are simply too long to tour in the north.

If my hands get worse again then I'll be back on a Burgman 650 - so easy to ride - town or touring and incredible storage for shopping or touring.

But the CBF is lighter with a lot of punch and top end and that lovely inline 4 rush. Lighter is good for me these days.

Last edited:

Now here's a great idea....and it's going into production

Honda-City-Adventure-X-ADV-4-e1456712234844.jpg

Honda‘s City Adventure scooter appears headed for production, with a camouflaged prototype recently spotted undergoing road testing. A video published by Italian site Omnimoto.it shows a prototype that very closely resembles the concept model that debuted at EICMA.

Despite the camouflage, we can see the concept’s lines and a similar swingarm design in the test mule. Like the original City Adventure concept, the test bike has spoked wheels, long travel suspension and a upswept exhaust to fit the “ADV” mold but the tires are noticeably more “City” than the semi-knobby rubbers on the concept. The test bike also has a more vertical windscreen, larger handguards and a different tail design

The scooter shares the same platform as the Honda Integra and the NC-series, using the same forward-tilted 745cc parallel-Twin engine and dual-clutch transmission.

As for the bike’s name, the City Adventure features several labels that read “ADV.” Honda also filed a trademark application last November, around the time of EICMA, for the name “ADV” suggesting it as a possible name for the production model. However, “ADV” has become a fairly common term in the industry for adventure-styled motorcycles and Europe’s trademark office may rule the name to be too generic to be trademarked (you don’t see any sportbikes out there called “Sportbike”, do you?). Last week, Honda filed new trademark applications for “X-ADV” and “Honda X-ADV” which are more likely to pass muster.

We expect to see the final production version at EICMA this fall as a 2017 model. Given Honda’s product-planning strategy for the Integra and other NC models, there’s a good chance the X-ADV will be a Europe-only model.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/02/...e-heading-for-production-may-be-called-x-adv/

Why did you get rid of the burgman if you liked it that much?

Didn't he just explain right there? If the insurance was more reasonable in ONT, I think most of us would have as many bikes and scoots as the garage could handle.

Changing your mind is one of the great benefits of being a man going his own way. Well, yes and no.

Changing your mind is one of the great benefits of being a man going his own way. Well, yes and no.
Doesn't make your point any stronger when you say one thing is the best but you ride something different

Doesn't make your point any stronger when you say one thing is the best but you ride something different

Yes, no or maybe so. I rest my case.

Back
Top Bottom