In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

I think I'm finally sold. From the cockpit it doesn't look gay at all and when you look down I imagine it feels like a WW1 Fokker with the joystick missing. I'm seeing big potential.

Think it's a bit faster from the get go and reliable. ;) Machine gun optional

[video=youtube;5QJeLrBFoXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJeLrBFoXY[/video]

•••

One of these days someone will do a naked 650 Burgman with a decent fairing and mapped ECVT.

But then one could always opt for the Aprilla

Better have a litre bike to take it on....same tranny as the Burgman 650 .. better top end, proper suspension....Brembo brakes and three ranges on the ECVT.
oh yeah ....no storage....just like an SS ;)

Last edited:
That thing is sad, nothing like how my grandfather explained it. Makes you wonder how the Germans won that war, doesn't it?

hehe
The SS version - circa 1940

[video=youtube;MCdlBc__3kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdlBc__3kg[/video]

prone to crashing....:D

I think I'm finally sold. From the cockpit it doesn't look gay at all and when you look down I imagine it feels like a WW1 Fokker with the joystick missing. I'm seeing big potential.
Reminds me of getting a bj from a fat chick, you just want to focus on the face

Even given the 10% speedo error he's over 100 mph at some points in quite slow traffic. That is really pushing the Burgman.

Interesting when he's braking hard it picked up the tires howling - have to be on them hard to get that sound.... I have heard a few times in PA :D

But the filtering at speed is nuts....the Burgman is pretty wide and he kept his mirrors extended.

I'll say. Even with the floating rotors/abs on the 2013+ models, it still sports two-piston sliding pin calipers, short-travel damper rod forks and a 15" front wheel. For a machine that tips the scales at just over 600#, pushing one that aggressively is possible, just not wise. One dopey driver and it's curtains.

Those early biplane pilots are more daring by far. Aerospace engineering was a pretty fresh discipline at the time. Trusting your life (and trying to end someone else's) to an elaborate kite driven by an early gasoline engine/boat propellor, several thousand feet above the ground, is capital C crazy. Also capital C cool.

I'll say. Even with the floating rotors/abs on the 2013+ models, it still sports two-piston sliding pin calipers, short-travel damper rod forks and a 15" front wheel. For a machine that tips the scales at just over 600#, pushing one that aggressively is possible, just not wise. One dopey driver and it's curtains.

Best possible solution is R1 technology infused Burgman 650. Wouldn't take much talent to beat a Burgman 650 powered R1 then. If it wasn't for venetian blinds it be curtains for all of us.

Burgmans are great when they work, but when something goes wrong your ****ed.

Need your belt inspected/changed? 25+ hours labour @ a dealer. If it needs replacement add at least $650 for parts (belt alone is $650).

Burgmans are great when they work, but when something goes wrong your ****ed.

Need your belt inspected/changed? 25+ hours labour @ a dealer. If it needs replacement add at least $650 for parts (belt alone is $650).

Who told you these lies?
A dealer who was trying to scam you?

Fortunately they rarely go wrong. No one in their right mind would "inspect" a 650 belt. Later model Burgman 650s rarely have a CVT failure and those that do are in the 100-140,000 km range.
Not many riders with anywhere near that.

If mine went Adrian and I figure about $3k to replace - parts and labour. Given they are generally bulletproof otherwise ( total repairs in 80k on two machines = two batteries on mine ) I'm quite content with value for money.

The annoyance is high tire wear on the rear = costly and high slab speeds tuns it to a gas guzzler.

The electrics are gonna clean all our clocks within the decade.

Last edited:
Who told you these lies?
A dealer who was trying to scam you?
It's a massive job the entire power train needs to be removed. Might have been closer to 20hr but Def over 20. Brampton powersports gave me that quote.

Fortunately they rarely go wrong. No one in their right mind would "inspect" a 650 belt. Later model Burgman 650s rarely have a CVT failure and those that do are in the 100-140,000 km range.
Not many riders with anywhere near that.

If mine went Adrian and I figure about $3k to replace - parts and labour. Given they are generally bulletproof otherwise ( total repairs in 80k on two machines = two batteries on mine ) I'm quite content with value for money.

The annoyance is high tire wear on the rear = costly and high slab speeds tuns it to a gas guzzler.

The electrics are gonna clean all out clocks within the decade.
Well something Is causing that noise and it keeps getting worse. Sounds like belt squeal.

I can hear a bit of that squealing on startup, not so much while riding, though it's hard to compare to your video. I'm often wearing earplugs, which may change my perception of it. Suzuki's engineers packaged the CVT a bit too tightly for regular inspection--I guess they assumed the special link-belt was nearly indestructible. They're tight-lipped about any potential issues, doubled down on the tech with the 2013+ and it's not easy to draw conclusions from individual cases. Buffalo and LeDude offer some respite at least, demystifying the checks and repairs. Not going to worry about it myself, since I bought the cheapest used one I could find. One $20 gasket was the only fix needed.

Yeah I recall that.
They did at the time assume it was a lifetime belt.....It would be hard to put 100k miles on Burgman 650 in Japan - not so in USA and Australia etc.
So there have a been a few failures above 60k miles. The trick is getting it repaired at a reasonable price if you decide as there are newer models with low mileage around for cheap.

I bought mine with squat km on it for half what the guy paid out the door new the year before.
He took an $8k hit in 18 months ( mind you he could afford it too ). Been a great bike -

nother one with the Burgman grin...

friend and I were going to travel to Virginia to do "The Back of the Dragon." From NW Indiana, the halfway point was very near Xenia, OH where an old college buddy of mine lives. I asked him to put us up for the night and to join us on his GL1100 Goldwing for the rest of the trip. When I arrived, he made a passing comment about my "girly-bike" ('03 650).

I asked him to take it for a ride before making any more comments about it. Gave him some quick instructions about how it is different from his "Oldwing" and off he went. He was gone about 10 minutes and came back with the Burgman Grin on his face. He stepped off the bike and said, "There's definitely NOTHING girly about THAT bike!"

In the twisties of the Back of the Dragon, there was no way that my friends on their Goldwings could keep up with me. On the highway, I had no trouble keeping up with them, and got WAY better gas mileage than they did.

and another

Originally Posted by Renegade1978
After riding the "Back" a time or two, my two friends were complaining about their arms and hands hurting from all the shifting that they had to do. I had no idea what they were talking about!

I rode the "Back" for about 10 years on BMWs before I got a Burgman (and before it was named the "Back of the Dragon"). I kept my BMW R1200CLC for several months after I got a Burgman. After a couple of months riding the Burgman, I rode my BMW to keep the battery charged. I came home and immediately put the BMW on Craigslist because the BMW was work when compared to the Burgman. I realized I was not going to ride the BMW and I might as well sell it.

Last edited:
Significant company...

I just received the Feb. '15 issue of Motorcyclist magazine. They did an article about touring on four different types of bikes, including the 650 Burgman. The other three were the BMW R1200RT, Honda CTX1300 Deluxe, and the Yamaha Super Tenere ES. The staff were all impressed with how competent and competitive the Burgman was against this group of MUCH more expensive machines.

Back
Top Bottom