In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

MacDoc- are you kidding me? Gas ⛽ pig ? over 130 km/h? Had the Shadow out yesterday, and she was shaking like a mofo at 120 on the 407! I don't think she has ever seen 150, or able to. Lol!
I was thinking next bike something more sport adventure, but with my little guy only 3, there are no long trips in my future. A few hours early on a Sunday morning will have to suffice. That Burgman is looking better all the time.
"extensive high speed slab..."
Sorry, does that mean long highway riding? Because to be honest, I'm really happy cruising the back roads at around 80 km/h

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

At 80 to 100 kph - which is my preferred gawking and twists speed it's great.
Yeh high speed slab is getting A-B right quick. It will do it but it costs in fuel and tire wear.

I've done a couple of 1000 km days on it but if you are spending a long time in the saddle a better seat is desirable.

Yeah for around the local area you could even consider a 400...more nimble, same storage, lighter but can do one up touring as well.

Sat on the 200 today at the show. Seemed a bit small for my fat arse.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

400 or 650

This is a VERY good deal for an Exec

$_20.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...nd/1041941448?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Same bike I have. $3900 a bargain. 11k barely broken in - gets smoother up to 20 k

Say it ain't so Mac, you didn't sell the Burgman, did you? :confused:

That Burgman yes.....met my price - - forgot the ad was up and he called in the morning and paid off in the afternoon. The Burgman was in at the mechanics for new sneakers so he just did the safety.

Undecided about another Exec I have an eye on. Still have a few farkles - I like the Burgman for cold weather riding which I do deep into the season and also for local trips as it has 110 litres with no side cases to worry about....no chain...just an easy bike to ride and maintain except for tires......grrr.

....damn insurance is annoying.
Part of the ploy was there was a gorgeous 2011 - I knew the rider, a bit less mileage, 2 years newer and would have been a $500 move up which I considered a good move.

Bought the 2009 with 4200 km on it for 1/2 what the original owner paid.
Cost me $3k in capital cost for 4 years and 60,000 trouble free enjoyable km. Total cost of failed equipment was one battery.
Too many tires tho :-(.

If I score the other bike I'll be ahead $2k money wise for what I want to do with it and still have $1,000 worth of farkles for it. WIth the intended non-touring use it should be good for 5 years.

I like to manage my capital cost over time but damn tax and insurance in Ontario makes mulitple bikes a luxury :(

I like to manage my capital cost over time but damn tax and insurance in Ontario makes mulitple bikes a luxury :(

I find it is not too bad for low cc bikes, but some of the guys with multiple big bikes must make a lot more than I do or are just willing to spend a lot more.

For my Vstrom and DRZ, both with liability and comp, I pay $481/year for the Vstrom and $265/year for the DRZ... so $746/year combined with a good group discount at The Personal. I definitely can't complain about those rates...

Finally going to get a Burgman. Did 28000kms so far on my VTX 1800 this year. Family dynamics have changed and am now a full time rider. Don't want to ride my VTX when they brine the hiways in November, but not as emotionally attached to a scoot. Deciding between a 400 and 650, leaning towards a 400 to keep costs low....

MM ...
For my Vstrom and DRZ, both with liability and comp, I pay $481/year for the Vstrom and $265/year for the DRZ...

who are you with ..that's better than my rate. TIA

••••

PD
Depends on whether you want to tour. The 400 costs more in maintenance as it needs belt changes but is more nimble in the city I'm told.

The 650 you won't miss the VTX so much and you certainly can tour.
Low maintenance machine...no chain, no belt change - nice farkles on the Exec.

I find it is not too bad for low cc bikes, but some of the guys with multiple big bikes must make a lot more than I do or are just willing to spend a lot more.

For my Vstrom and DRZ, both with liability and comp, I pay $481/year for the Vstrom and $265/year for the DRZ... so $746/year combined with a good group discount at The Personal. I definitely can't complain about those rates...

$746/year combined!!! Jesus.

I pay $1120/year for just the 690.... ;(

Although it's fully covered with fire, theft, liability, comp, gap.

*sigh ontario shamurance*

Last edited:
$746/year combined!!! Jesus.

I pay $1120/year for just the 690.... ;(

Although it's fully covered with fire, theft, liability, comp, gap.

*sigh ontario shamurance*

What is 'gap'?

Comp includes fire and theft. I just don't have collision. I figure if I get in an at fault accident with either bike (likely single vehicle) and survive, I am better off fixing a vstrom and drz myself than claiming through insurance.

What is 'gap'?

Comp includes fire and theft. I just don't have collision. I figure if I get in an at fault accident with either bike (likely single vehicle) and survive, I am better off fixing a vstrom and drz myself than claiming through insurance.

brain fart on the comp. Gap insurance is if the bike is totaled they would give the cost of a new bike. This is for 2 years IIRC.

It wasn't really much to add on. I just faxed the bill of sale over and that was it.

As with most people, I probably have way more insurance than I need.

Last edited:
So for the last few years i have had both a scooter and motorcycle. The last two being a Honda CBR500ra and Yamaha Smax 155cc scooter.
Over the last month or so i came to realize that the motorcycle was nice for longer trips, it was more of a pain to ride. When ever i am out i almost
always want to pick something out to take home and storage space very limited with either a tank bag or backpack. So i made the decision to sell
both bikes - another reason was to save on insurance - and get a larger scooter that could fill in both duties of longer rides and lots of storage.

two weeks ago i put up the Honda on Craigslist. Got a few replies - worked out a deal with one buyer. Met on Sat Aug 01 and he wanted it. But
also wanted to check out bike for liens. So that was ok and understandable. The following week on Aug 07 we met at an insurance broker. He bought
bike. Earlier that day i went around to different dealers. Considered a few bikes. Burgman400, Piaggio BV350 and Yamaha Majesty.

Fast forward.... Found a great deal at one local Yamaha dealer. Good price on a new 2015 Majesty and got almost what i was asking for on a trade of Smax.
I rode away on the new Majesty on Saturday August 08. Really happy with the bike. I am old and do not need to go fast these days. Bike is fast enough and
surprisingly not all that different from the Honda. Highway cruising speed / engine RPM pretty similar. I usually do not go faster than 130kph and the Maj will
do this and more. On a plus side i save myself having to wave as much as most on "real bikes" do not wave to people on scooters :) But whatever, i am almost
a senior citizen ( 58 and long past caring, which leads to another reason i got a scooter. I realized that part of me rode a motorcycle to somehow fit in with the
"cool" crowd by riding a "real" bike. I just enjoy riding the scooter more and that is all that really matters.

picture to prove it happened
c0S1j9jl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in my 40's and am either cool enough already so I can ride a scooter or not cool enough but dgaf what others say anymore. Not in the cards yet, but if my current scoot doesn't get running, will be in the market in a couple of years. Unless I take Mac Doc and others ' advice and ride the bicycle to work.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Honda Bulldog concept shows potential with low seat hight, 15" wheels and styling toward the heterosexual spectrum. If they did that with scooters, I mean the heterosexual part, that would be great.

Honda Bulldog concept shows potential with low seat hight, 15" wheels and styling toward the heterosexual spectrum. If they did that with scooters, I mean the heterosexual part, that would be great.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/24/honda-bulldog-concept-bike-first-look-motorcycle-review-photos/

If you think riding a scooter threatens the hinges on your closet door, then riding a "loveable touring parter" would rip that door clean off and drag you out with a feather boa. Personally, I think it's fabulous.

Welcome back, MD.

Continuously Variable Nerves.

I guess Suzuki really does include a little bit of squidliness in everything they make. You just need to know how to wring it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbQO5QtN-o

Or the rider really needs to pee.

Say what you want about me, but I do not have a desire to ride like that, ever. I got nervous just watching it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom