Road debris or clothesline? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Road debris or clothesline?

Hey everyone,

Around 2:30pm today I was riding northbound on Bayview, just south of the Rosedale Valley turn off when I felt a burning pain on the front of my neck. It felt like I hit a string clothesline or something. I didn't lose balance, pulled over and collected myself. Just shaken a bit, nothing else. I can't think it was an acutal string tied across the road since it's high traffic and even a minivan would have been tall enough to take it out. But, if it was just some debris, even a cigarette, wouldn't it have just bounced off? Looking at the marks I got (see picutre), it definitely looks like a string or rope burn as it wrapped around my neck. Any ideas what happened?

And, I was in full gear - leather jacket and full faced helmet. Do I need to buy an armoured scarf too?

Attachments

• yDSC04190.jpg
    yDSC04190.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 357
new jacket or shirt? Recently switch laundry detergent? Any ex-wife/gf trying to kill you?

the ****? Someone try to kill you with a butterknife?

Did you report it to the police?

It could be some kind of prank that could go seriously wrong.

Markham and around my neighbourhood is notorious for having kites and kite string strewn around trees, posts. I always wondered what would happen to a rider.

Wow that's pretty scary looking.

It looks like you got whipped by this thing several times. I wonder if there was a car with a loose string whipping in the wind that you may have passed, or that passed you?

FWIW I wear a helmet skirt that tucks into my jacket. The main purpose is to reduce wind noise but it also serves to shroud my neck from the usual dust, debris and rain that stings at highway speed. Woulda helped here too.

Scary and Bizarre. Glad your ok.

That's pretty scary, OP. My first guess would be kite string...but that would be a pretty unlikely place for kite string.

Either way, this is one of the reasons why I wear a bandana. Pebbles hurt; I can only imagine how much worse that must have felt...

I got a bee in the neck last year that hurt bad enough that I pulled over to make sure there wasn't any bad damage but I had pretty much nothing except a red mark. That looks pretty bad.

I tie a bandanna around my neck when it's cold to protect it from the cold wind... maybe something to do for protection from now on?

It looks like you got hit more than once... perhaps a string hanging off a car as someone else mentioned?

It looks like a kite string injury. This is why kites are banned at Milliken Park in Scarborough. Stupid people, typically from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, use near invisible kite string, sometimes with glass particles glued to the string, and they don't clean up.

Meet Liam Forbes, then 3 years old, cut on the ankle by kite string. This is Liam's ankle injury:

5f9d574b4f36a2bc4c7c397ae9ba.jpeg

Bayview Avenue, just south of the Rosedale Valley turn off, is right beside Riverdale Park. Look this up on a map. Wind conditions the last couple of days are ideal for kite flying.

Last edited:
Whoa, that's crazy! I'm glad you're OK!

Wait a tic, grown men playing with ****ing kites? ****ing idiotic.

Wait a tic, grown men playing with ****ing kites? ****ing idiotic.

Hey ! They are fun for an hr or two! Although I prefer near the park on the lake shore or something. Some kites are cool enough to carry where you can wake/snowboard .

I rode rosedale/bayview today... my neck is still intact, although I'll admit... i was pretty much ducking the whole time.

Thanks everyone for your views and good wishes. And special thanks to Torontoboy for solving the mystery. I'm sure it was a kite string. I've got to think that it was really just unlucky to get hit like that. And I had full gear on, including full-face helmet. I'd hate to think what could happen to a kid riding a bicycle in a park.

Thanks everyone for your views and good wishes. And special thanks to Torontoboy for solving the mystery. I'm sure it was a kite string. I've got to think that it was really just unlucky to get hit like that. And I had full gear on, including full-face helmet. I'd hate to think what could happen to a kid riding a bicycle in a park.

If it really was this invisible Chinese kite string, I would make it a point to see that it is banned here before someone gets seriously hurt.

Did a bit of research and found this.

In Lahore Pakistan they have a kite festival that usually results in several deaths. Motorcycle riders are the most vulnerable to decapitation so the city distributes safety wire free of charge. Here's a picture of a safety wired bike (see the yellow looping from the handlebars over the riders head). OP, you're pretty lucky to come out of this as well as you did.

09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom