Should I tow? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I tow?

If the bike is in a condo, just ask the two guys with the minivan :).

bought a bike with 50,000km on it that sat for 2+years
drove it back from ottawa and changed the oil and plugs

It's not hard to come up with an excuse that WILL get them to tow it. if you're a bad liar, just take the battery out and say it won't start.

i will tow it for 199 bucks depending on where you need to go :D

Sorry to threadjack but he got his answer and this ***** been dead for years.

This thread was the closest only thread I could find using the search function for bike sitting for years. I am interested in looking at a decade-ish old 4 stroke dirt bike that's 40km away, it has no battery and has been sitting for around 5-6 years. I am planning to tow it back if I decide its worth purchasing but apart from gummed up fuel in the tank, fuel line, float bowls, dirty spark plug, and seized shocks, what are some other signs I need to look at in order to decide if its salvageable?

To sit that long and not run its most likely will need a lot. I would only by that bike at a scrap price. You may get it homeband learn thats all it is. It could be ok so add $200 above scrap. Look at what a runningbone is worth and compare

It's fine. Ride it home. Top it up if it needs it.
The interweb is too full of idiots who talk too much about oil like this is the 1940s.

this comes up all the time.
CAA+ is not a personal limo service. if it ain't broke, they're not gunna tow it.
I've asked them if I can simply use it to transport a car from my house to a garage so I don't need to drive it there. The lady on the phone said sure. It's gotta have valid plates, though.
It's not hard to come up with an excuse that WILL get them to tow it. if you're a bad liar, just take the battery out and say it won't start.
If they do give you a hassle, do this. Or just disconnect your fuel pump or something easy.

Lol relaunch of such an old thread ;P What we ended up doing was just riding it down to a local shop where they did the oil change and gave the bike a once over. Bikes are not as fragile as we seem to think they are.

Lol relaunch of such an old thread ;P What we ended up doing was just riding it down to a local shop where they did the oil change and gave the bike a once over. Bikes are not as fragile as we seem to think they are.
They certainly aren't fragile. I have several quite old bikes and sometimes, insurance being what it is, they can sit for a year or two (inside) and start up and run just fine.

Back
Top Bottom