Powered Kickstand For a Motorcycle, Interested? Feedback? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Powered Kickstand For a Motorcycle, Interested? Feedback?

Would you buy a powered kickstand, and if so, how much would you spend?

• Total voters
Just to clear things up, for cost purposes and simplicity, I will likely be considering a strictly electronic set-up, with a high torque 12v dc motor, as opposed to the pneumatics seen in the drawings ( courtesy of Ridley Motorcycles).

I think we have driven home the point that this thing still needs to be capable of being operated manually (overriding the powered mechanism) in the event of a problem of some sort.

If you want to use an electric actuator, your next challenge will be designing this in a manner that allows this to be done.

Electric actuators invariably use a ball-screw or lead-screw of some sort. If you want to operate the mechanism manually then this has to be capable of being back-driven (lead-screws don't like that, too much friction, and ball-screws are EXPENSIVE) or it has to be designed in a manner that it only pushes/pulls and the manual actuation overruns it.

Something in all of this reminds me of the automotive trend to use a push-button to operate a parking brake, thus replacing a simple mechanism that does exactly what the driver wants with an inordinately complex one that doesn't always do so - albeit in a way that saves a wee tiny bit of space between the seats so that the driver can have a bigger cup-holder.

I’m looking to do some research and development on a powered kickstand for motorcycles of all types, asking for your feedback and opinions.
Basically, I need to show there is a market for this before I can get backing from the company I work at. Your responses will help in painting the picture for whether or not this is a reasonable idea.

I appreciate you reading this; I will keep you posted as how this moves along,

Thanks,
- Adli

Just curious as to what exactly inspired this idea?

I think your poll shows, from a rider's perspective, that your efforts will probably be better spent on another idea. You've shown you've got the creativity and practicality to do something cool, but maybe this just isn't it.

Good luck!

If you're gonna go to the trouble of powering it, why not make it a powered centre stand? All the benefits of the centre stand, plus it would act as a theft deterrent as the bike can't just be rolled around, it would have to be dragged on it's centre stand.

I have to agree with a lot of people here - Centre stand is a +2. No interest in a kickstand (maybe Harley riders would differ in opinion, I find those ones (the kick stands, not the riders) to be a pain to get too)

Something in all of this reminds me of the automotive trend to use a push-button to operate a parking brake, thus replacing a simple mechanism that does exactly what the driver wants with an inordinately complex one that doesn't always do so - albeit in a way that saves a wee tiny bit of space between the seats so that the driver can have a bigger cup-holder.

my car has a button parking brake. i never cared for it but now t i think it's awesome. it did fail once lol so i could not drive away. the freezing weather may have something to do with it but after restarting the car after a few minutes everything was fine. had the car for over 2 years now.

my car has a button parking brake. i never cared for it but now t i think it's awesome. it did fail once lol so i could not drive away. the freezing weather may have something to do with it but after restarting the car after a few minutes everything was fine. had the car for over 2 years now.

I've driven shitboxes almost 10x that much and never had a manual e-brake seize up on me :cool:

because my kikstand on my sv650 is quite awkward to get to.

Dunno what you're talking about. I use my heel and pull it down. I do it without even looking, only had the bike for 2 months.

I've never had an issue with the sidestand. However, there have been a couple times I wished my centre stand was powered, usually when the bike is fully laden with touring gear.

Well if you went for this idea you'd have a specific target market, large sport touring bikes, Touring bikes (ie Gold/Silverwings) and other bigger heavier comfort oriented bikes. You'd never have anyone put a power-stand on a sport bike or motocross the bikes unless the rider suffered from a handicap of some sort.

Good luck with your endeavor, maybe one day we'll see you on Dragon's Den! :)

[video=youtube;kVRGZBBIoaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVRGZBBIoaE[/video]

Hello Again Guys,

I've put together a prototype in Catia to illustrate the design.
Ive solved the No-Power failure but using a "mechanical clutch". As you can see, the motor spins 90 degrees, contacts the mechanisim, rotates the sidestand 90 degrees, then will move back another 90 and rest there. If the system was to have no power, then the side stand will operate normally, as it the motor was not present, but rotating within the confines of the clucth, without requiring movment from the motor.

This will still utilize a spring and mechanical stop, as seen on most bikes, but not in the current CAD.

Thanks again for your feedback,
And BrianP for your insight.

Cheers,
-A

How about making emergency sidestands that only engage when the bike is stopped and in neutral, so that it will pop out and save the bike from completely falling over? For those times when you're mind wanders and thinks the sidestand is down, or some stupid chick sits on your nr750 and drops it.

I really like the idea that you are thinking ! You deserve credit for that and you are good at it.

I , however, don't see a market for this....I know you could make it work , given time, more thought / input but, ...would prefer to see you put your efforts into something more marketable.
Side stand...no way, Centre stand....a possibilty (especially for heavy rides).

Don't stop your thinking...you have lots of potential !

Although it is an innovative idea, not only the market is too small, but using a 12v dc motor is the wrong way to go.

To put things into perspective, a Bosh DC 12v 84w motor has 20Ncm of continuous torque, which is 1kg of lifting power.

Pneumatics would be the only way to go if you get to the implementation stage...

what's wrong with just a regular kickstand? its already pretty simple and easy...

i agree with the powered center stand. it would make it so much easier to lift the bike on an incline (driveway..)

One more thing to break? No thanks.
Give me a self powered oil changer and well talk.

not sure about an oil changer lol, but there's something that lubes your chain if you're interested. i think the brand is scottoiler. you attach it to your bike and have the nozzle aimed at the chain, and the device will automatically lube it while you ride.

I wouldn't want it but I think its an interesting concept. The problem I'd have is the wiring. I'd hate to add more load to an already fragile stator/rectifier lol

Some kind of powered reverse would be a million times more useful than this. It takes 1/2 second to put kickstand up and down...

Need to have a manual override like others have said otherwise an electrical failure would leave you without a way to keep the bike up.

But yea i can see the idea would work for big bikes like the Goldwing and stuff but not so much on my bikes

Back
Top Bottom