Something that will help you stay alive this season. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Something that will help you stay alive this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think it's ironic that there's 4 pages on not being seen and yet by far the most popular color for lids and leathers is black?
Yeah.... it's the cagers' fault.

Exactly. Most bikers are way more interested in looking cool, than being safe. I can't see most of them either.

Exactly. Most bikers are way more interested in looking cool, than being safe. I can't see most of them either.

I don't see cars getting slammed more if they are black -_-

油井緋色;1892683 said:

Who gives a sh** what colour the car is. You're the one who's dead if s/he doesn't see you.

Excercise control of what you can.

油井緋色;1892683 said:

I've read things that say they do. Hence why some vehicles are bright colours like green, yellow, red, etc.

You're less likely to die when your car gets hit than when your motorcycle gets hit.

油井緋色;1892683 said:
Any chance they're twice as wide as bikes ( and maybe twice as easy to see?)

I watched a documentary about the Brain recently in which the limitations of what we can see, was explored. Surprisingly, one example was cars making left hand turns and why they do not see motorcycles. The explanation given was due to what we are looking for (which are 4 wheel vehicles) and our minds limit that search (not looking for 2 wheeled vehicles). “When drivers say they didn’t see you, their brains really didn’t”. Other experiments were shown to illustrate the point.

I agree with attracting attention at intersections by weaving the bike and making eye contact. I haven’t but might consider switching on the high-beams and leaving them on.

What I am nervous about is flicking the lights because I believe that is a sign to defer, giving the go ahead to the other driver to proceed. Use with caution.

Good Post. Thanx

...I agree with attracting attention at intersections by weaving the bike and making eye contact. I haven’t but might consider switching on the high-beams and leaving them on.

What I am nervous about is flicking the lights because I believe that is a sign to defer, giving the go ahead to the other driver to proceed. Use with caution.

Good Post. Thanx

If you have fairly bright high beams you might actually be making things worse.

Bright lights in the eyes can make it difficult for the driver to detect that you are a motorcycle coming at them, your distance and the speed you are going. Without knowing this it is hard for the brain to determine if you are a threat or not and you might be overlooked.

I agree about flashing the lights in this situation for the reasons you say.

..Tom

Please riders take a look at this information if you haven't already and try and incorporate it into your riding. Even though riding season is pretty much over for most it seems there was another SMIDSY type crash in Hamilton yesterday.

..Tom

The most common crashes that involve other vehicles are the "SMIDSY" type crash. Most commonly this is when a car makes a left turn in front of an oncoming bike; but can also be when they pull out of a sidestreet or parking lot into traffic. This is the most common crash involving motorcycles when other vehicles are involved.

There have already been several this year and are bound to be more. Here is a video that can help you avoid them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU&feature=player_embedded

Detailed reading:

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

..Tom
Looks like there have already been a few crashes oft his type this year in the GTA. Please riders watch the video and read the information links and try and understand what is being said.. this stuff can help stop you from becoming the latest crash victim.

Looks like there have already been a few crashes oft his type this year in the GTA. Please riders watch the video and read the information links and try and understand what is being said.. this stuff can help stop you from becoming the latest crash victim.

Just giving this thread a little bump. If you haven't done so please go to the first message and take a look at it. It might help you avoid a crash.

..Tom

Sadly another death last night. We don't know exactly what happened but a left turning car was involved. A witness was quoted saying that it looked like neither the car saw the bike nor the rider saw the car.

If you are reading this and haven't already done so can you please go to the beginning of this thread and watch the video? This is the kind of information that can really make a difference and reduce your chances of getting taken out by a left turning car. If you want more information plase look at the links in my signature.

Thanks,

Tom

Here is a repost of the first message:

The most common crashes that involve other vehicles are the "SMIDSY" type crash. Most commonly this is when a car makes a left turn in front of an oncoming bike; but can also be when they pull out of a sidestreet or parking lot into traffic. This is the most common crash involving motorcycles when other vehicles are involved.

There have already been several this year and are bound to be more. Here is a video that can help you avoid them:

Detailed reading:

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

..Tom

More fatalitities lately some appear to be SMIDSY type crashes.. folks please watch the video and read the links (in the last message and at the thread beginning.) There is good stuff there that can definately help you avoid the left turn crshes the hurt and kill so many of our friends.

..Tom

Sadly a bad year for riders. Several of the crashes this year (and I think the last few days) appear to have been SMIDSY type crashes. Perhaps some of the information in the first post in this thread and in my signature might help you avoid this type of crash.

Please take some time and check out the links!

..Tom

Bumping this up... There have already been a few SMIDSY type crashes. Perhaps the info below might helpk eep some of us alive.

Detailed reading:

SMIDSY detailed report

..Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom