Something that will help you stay alive this season. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Something that will help you stay alive this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I do all the time before I hit the intersection and has become a habit along with flipping on the high beams and/or horn if the car keeps moving(note: not flicking on/off the high beams).

If you have very bright high beams (like my V-Strom or the bikes with HID's) then high beams can sometimes be counter productive. The excessively bright light in the eyes of the driver can mask that you are a bike and remove their ability to see your distance and speed.

..Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try and see how I can work it into my regular riding.

On a side note, they say you should cover your brake to be prepared to stop when going through intersections or spot potential collisions. But my right hand can't cover the brake lever when throttle is open. Is that normal? Do I need to get my lever adjusted or am I just gripping the throttle wrong?

A friend got nailed for 172 on HWY 10 for letting go of the clip-ons. That's both hands to clarify. Don't do it.

If you stand on your pegs and your butt leaves the seat, it's seen as stunting. If you're cramped, pull over.

As far as this weaving manouvre I'm totally with you. This is a great technique. I'm just throwing in the caveat of making it look cleaner than in the video to make it Ontario friendly. It's incrediy easy to lose your license here, especially on a supersport.. I'm just thinking of some young SS rider explaining to the OPP that he wasn't trying to look racey and warm up his tires for the twisties. The procedure as seen in the video and Tom's thread is bang-on. You can achieve the same result by moving left to right in your own lane, not "weaving." I hope you understand what I mean.

Tom's thread here is an excellent idea...there has been far too many deaths this year. Perhaps the more experienced riders can jump in here with your own personal suggestions and survival techniques. I'll add my own that's kept me going on an SS Liter bike for twenty years. Speed is your friend. Grab your own piece of real-estate on the road and jet to claim it. Every time you see traffic creeping up on you, once again, jet and claim that clear piece of real-estate. Metastable said it best "congestion causes accidents." Hence, use your throttle to get the hell away from cagers and claim your own clear piece of real-estate.

Prince, did you take the time to understand what is being said? Can you tell me of one person that has been pulled over for moving a bit in their lane?..Tom

IMO it would be pretty stupid to get a ticket for weaving. I do it a lot, usually when bored. I consider it practice for if something shows up in front of me. Never thought it'd be a ticket-able offense. I mean weaving within my lane that is.

Last edited:
A friend got nailed for 172 on HWY 10 for letting go of the clip-ons. That's both hands to clarify. Don't do it.

If you stand on your pegs and your butt leaves the seat, it's seen as stunting. If you're cramped, pull over.
I thought someone else on here posted an email he got from some political person that had something to do with hta 172 that said that standing on a motorcycle is ok. It's right in the province's book, isn't it? I do that when going over bumpy surfaces all the time.

I'm also guilty of releasing the bars on occasion but very rarely.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try and see how I can work it into my regular riding.

On a side note, they say you should cover your brake to be prepared to stop when going through intersections or spot potential collisions. But my right hand can't cover the brake lever when throttle is open. Is that normal? Do I need to get my lever adjusted or am I just gripping the throttle wrong?

The throttle grip is usually round and has the same dimensions regardless of whether it's open or closed. If you can cover and operate your brakes with the throttle closed, you should be able to do so with the throttle anywhere along its open-close range.

Try hooking just the inside of your thumb/palm over the throttle and extend your finger tips over your brake lever. Once the throttle is already open, the pressure from the inside of your thumb/palm should be plenty to keep the throttle position constant while you cover your brakes.

Drive with no hands in your car and you'll risk careless driving charges, not HTA172. That would also apply to no hands on a bike. That's probably what your friend may have got nailed for. You've been confused here before on details.

Standing on your seat or sitting on your fuel tank with your feet draped over the handlebars while you dry your toe nail polish would be stunting. A superman pose with your feet draped over your rear turn signal stalks or across your pillion might also qualify. However a quick stand-up with your feet on the pegs, whether to get a stretch or to absorb some rough road, will not get you a stunting charge.

The throttle grip is usually round and has the same dimensions regardless of whether it's open or closed. If you can cover and operate your brakes with the throttle closed, you should be able to do so with the throttle anywhere along its open-close range.

Try hooking just the inside of your thumb/palm over the throttle and extend your finger tips over your brake lever. Once the throttle is already open, the pressure from the inside of your thumb/palm should be plenty to keep the throttle position constant while you cover your brakes.
Depending on how much you've opened the throttle, which results in your hand being further back on the grip, I wouldn't be able to reach unless I did a little squirming to hold it in place while moving my hand more forward on the grip. Usually if I'm covering the brake though I just squeeze the clutch and coast by since I'm basically preparing to brake anyway.

Most front brake levers have an adjustment that allows the lever to move closer towards the grip. You might try adjusting it, although make sure that at full brake the lever doesn't hit the grip or anything else.

..Tom

I'm just thinking of some young SS rider explaining to the OPP that he wasn't trying to look racey and warm up his tires for the twisties.

Sort of off topic, but recent research seems show that weaving to warm up your tires isn't very effective. Harder acceleration and braking works much better.

Just bringing this thread back to life as the techniques here might help save a life.

Please look at the video in the first post and follow the links in my signature if you want more detail.

..Tom

Anyone know whether doing the SMIDSY during the M test would get you into trouble with the MTO dude? Already have my M myself, but SLIM will be going for his in May. Just curious. :)

Anyone know whether doing the SMIDSY during the M test would get you into trouble with the MTO dude? Already have my M myself, but SLIM will be going for his in May. Just curious. :)

I don't know, but I wouldn't do anything different from what you are taught to do in the test.

..Tom

I don't know, but I wouldn't do anything different from what you are taught to do in the test.

..Tom
Unless you have an open minded examiner, you would probably get demerits based on lane position.

Of course there are other ways to be seen....

540405_183996501719694_100003280353154_289908_369212913_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom