Something that will help you stay alive this season. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Something that will help you stay alive this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very cautious when there are cars poised to pull out and tend to use the horn and flip the high beams on ( big time visibility jump for the Burgman even in daylight ).

I don't know how good the lights are on the Burgman, but if they are very bright then high beams can be counterproductive. A bright light in the eyes of a driver can essentially camoflauge you and make it hard for the driver to tell your speed, distance and what kind of vehicle you are.

..Tom

Yeah, this is one of the safety things that i think cant be stressed enough. I always do the weave if i think theres even a chance someones going to turn left infront of me or pull out infront of me. Theres been a couple times where the guy inched to go, but obviously saw me once i started weaving and jammed the brakes. I also stand up on my pegs coming up to intersections if im blocked by a giant ****-off SUV, both so i can see, and that so cars trying to turn will see my head pop up over the SUV and think "what the hell was that?". Better than just popping out suddently around an SUV and meeting a guy whos half way through a left...

Now standing on your pegs while in motion will get you a stunting charge. Your bottom must be on the seat and hands on the bars.

Did this maneuver (sp?) this morning. Driver clearly did not see me. She stopped the minivan as it was about to pull out of the intersection.

Could I have avoided the incident by swerving into the bike lane? Yes, probably. However I'm glad I didn't have to.

Thanks for the tip!

I don't know how good the lights are on the Burgman, but if they are very bright then high beams can be counterproductive. A bright light in the eyes of a driver can essentially camoflauge you and make it hard for the driver to tell your speed, distance and what kind of vehicle you are.

..Tom
I don't leave them on for that very reason ....it's the flip to the high beams that provides the change needed.
I don't flash them either - just from low to high and it's substantial on the Burgman
- if I see the situation I don't like I slow down, flip the lights and have finger on the horn.

•••

That weaving and my flip to high beam is the same principle the scanning headlights on trains serve - to produce visible change
Weaving and flipping to high beams likely even better which is why I'll try it but it's just one extra thing to think about in a situation that require maximum concentration and lane escape positioning...

Last edited:
There seme to have been several crashes of late (some fatal) where the principals in the video (at the first post in this thread) and in my signature may have helped.

If you aren't familiar with this please take some time to watch or read the information.

Tom

This will totally get you pulled over in Ontario. Some cops will think you're warming your tires, especially if you're on a supersport. I'd be more inclined to use the high beam all the time than weaving. Or instead of weaving make one to two lane changes in your own lane. That and simply *slow down* at intersections. When you slow down, you're using psychology to mess with the heads of those that are going to turn in front of you. You're giving their brains more time to process to "stop or go", and if they do go and you do smack into them, you've reduced the speed to a survivable impact.

This will totally get you pulled over in Ontario. Some cops will think you're warming your tires, especially if you're on a supersport. I'd be more inclined to use the high beam all the time than weaving. Or instead of weaving make one to two lane changes in your own lane. That and simply *slow down* at intersections. When you slow down, you're using psychology to mess with the heads of those that are going to turn in front of you. You're giving their brains more time to process to "stop or go", and if they do go and you do smack into them, you've reduced the speed to a survivable impact.

Do whatever it takes to stay safe and worry about getting pulled over later.

Thats why ppl get light bars and ****.
If a cop really pulled you over and you told them ( I wanted to move on the x axis to make sure that guy turning left saw me ) they are going to let you go...
If you stood on the pegs and you said ( I wanted to make myself bigger to that guy because I thought he hadn't seen me ) they are going to let you go...

HTA 172 isn't a boogyman ok, and as far as I know, the guy standing on the pegs got a "warning", he didn't get charged, or convicted.

I swerve in my lane and stand on my pegs all the time. Hell, I've sped past OPP cruisers, weaved in and out of traffic, without issue. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe they see that my "stupidness" doesn't continue for much longer. I do what it takes to get into a safe area of traffic. It seems most cops are smart enough to realize this. If not, they'll pull me over and I'll gladly explain it to them.

I have no problem fighting a ticket. I'll be happy that I'm still alive to fight it.

You're delusional if you think they're going to let you go. Most traffic cops have the ticket half written before they get out of the cruiser. Or at least have their mind made up. HTA172 "is" as bad as it's said to be. There's a whole section dedicated to it. My suggestion is as I wrote. Change lanes in your own lane rather than weave. Especially on a supersport as they will see your weaving as you warming your tires. It will appear racey. On a cruiser they might think you're riding drunk.

Do whatever it takes to stay safe and worry about getting pulled over later.Thats why ppl get light bars and ****.If a cop really pulled you over and you told them ( I wanted to move on the x axis to make sure that guy turning left saw me ) they are going to let you go...If you stood on the pegs and you said ( I wanted to make myself bigger to that guy because I thought he hadn't seen me ) they are going to let you go...HTA 172 isn't a boogyman ok, and as far as I know, the guy standing on the pegs got a "warning", he didn't get charged, or convicted.

Last edited:
You're delusional if you think they're going to let you go. Most traffic cops have the ticket half written before they get out of the cruiser. Or at least have their mind made up. HTA172 "is" as bad as it's said to be. There's a whole section dedicated to it. My suggestion is as I wrote. Change lanes in your own lane rather than weave. Especially on a supersport as they will see your weaving as you warning your tires. It will appear racey. On a cruiser they might think you're riding drunk.

Maybe they just don't let you go. lol

Maybe they just don't let you go. lol

They [the popo] rarely let supersports go with a warning. We're an easy target/charge. And we take the blame as the "new bad boys" as some SS riders don't stop for cops.

Personally, I've been pulled over once in twenty years of riding. My cop friends that I ride with warn me of the pricks they work with. If you're going to get a warning, you best chances are with a younger cop. The older ones have just seen too much and have lost all (or most) patience and objectivity.

Last edited:
I am unaware of any convictions for standing on pegs or weaving in your own lane for the purpose of making oneself more visible to other traffic.
Until that happens, it is safe to assume that you won't get into trouble for that.

I am unaware of any convictions for standing on pegs or weaving in your own lane for the purpose of making oneself more visible to other traffic.Until that happens, it is safe to assume that you won't get into trouble for that.
If you stand on your pegs, and your butt leaves the seat, your bike is gone. If you even (momentarily) let go of your clip-ons (handle bars), your bike is gone. You will get a 172 charge and you are seen as a stunter.

Unless you want the heat, change lane sides (in your own lane), you will achieve the same purpose as seen in this video without looking reckless.

Last edited:
Prince, did you take the time to understand what is being said? Can you tell me of one person that has been pulled over for moving a bit in their lane?

..Tom

If you stand on your pegs, and your butt leaves the seat, your bike is gone. If you even (momentarily) let go of your clip-ons (handle bars), your bike is gone. You will get a 172 charge and you are seen as a stunter.

Two quick questions: I sometimes stand up momentarily for a stretch (2 seconds at most) because of back/knee discomfort, will I get nailed for that? Also what about resting one arm on the tank while riding on a slightly longer stretch of road in the city, does that qualify?

I have been doing those two things for some time without any issues so far but have never really thought about it in terms of 172.

This is something I do all the time before I hit the intersection and has become a habit along with flipping on the high beams and/or horn if the car keeps moving(note: not flicking on/off the high beams). Everything goes back to normal when I clear the intersection.
A Light colored helmet and high vis vest also add to visibility. Anything to keep me safe. This is already a relatively dangerous activity no need to help yourself get added to the statistics.

I haven't seen anything that backs these claims up

High-beams, weaving, headlight modulation and other tricks to be more visible are okay, but nothing compares to my dual head-lights. In 4 seasons with my current bike I've had far less close-calls than in only 1 season with my previous single-beamed bike.

Dual-beamed bikes should be standard safety equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom