Something that will help you stay alive this season. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Something that will help you stay alive this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-Tom

Site Supporter
The most common crashes that involve other vehicles are the "SMIDSY" type crash. Most commonly this is when a car makes a left turn in front of an oncoming bike; but can also be when they pull out of a sidestreet or parking lot into traffic. This is the most common crash involving motorcycles when other vehicles are involved.

There have already been several this year and are bound to be more. Here is a video that can help you avoid them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU&feature=player_embedded

Detailed reading:

SMIDSY detailed report

..Tom

Last edited:
I don't reply to your threads often, but I for one am very happy to see you informing our fellow riders so diligently.

Thank you.

Been doing that wave at before every intersection and when I see people in the left lane that might turn left where there is not an intersection(like a drive way or plaza). It's been working so far:)

Very cool! Something to definitely incorporate into my riding! Good info

Getting pulled over for weaving?

HTA 172 stunt driving

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't it by definition of weaving, you keep on changing lanes to pass other vehicles? as in weaving in and out of traffic?

I'm not big on weaving in my lane because it might backfire by suggesting to drivers that I'm about to turn L or R, leading them to proceed in front of me.

Possible?

Getting pulled over for weaving?

HTA 172 stunt driving

Copy Page 10 from my "SMIDSY detailed report link": in my signature and carry it with you. I do, but have never been bothere by officers doing so.

..Tom

Last edited:
I'm not big on weaving in my lane because it might backfire by suggesting to drivers that I'm about to turn L or R, leading them to proceed in front of me.

Possible?

I think it depends on how drastic your weave is. Whenever I do this I try and keep my weaving shallow....so it doesn't look like I'm turning or changing lanes. Then again, I'm not sure how well this works as I usually don't poll the drivers afterwards. I dunno...I guess I'll keep doing it until someone runs me over.

Yeah, this is one of the safety things that i think cant be stressed enough. I always do the weave if i think theres even a chance someones going to turn left infront of me or pull out infront of me. Theres been a couple times where the guy inched to go, but obviously saw me once i started weaving and jammed the brakes. I also stand up on my pegs coming up to intersections if im blocked by a giant ****-off SUV, both so i can see, and that so cars trying to turn will see my head pop up over the SUV and think "what the hell was that?". Better than just popping out suddently around an SUV and meeting a guy whos half way through a left...

Being seen is the biggest accident avoidance technique. Do whatever you can to be seen while riding your bike, and you will avoid a lot of accidents, whether this is weaving slightly, standing up so your visible, staying out of peoples blind spots, honking, etc.

One other measure I use is eye contact. If they don't lock eyes with me I assume they're going to pull out in front of me and prepare. It's easy in town as you're not moving too quickly and can find evasive manouvers.

On the open road, I always approach intersections and driveways with caution. You just never know when that brainless soccer mom is running behind for the kid's activities, still has the coffee in her hand and the cell on her shoulder as she barely glances the brake pedal on that sharp left towards the arena, field or grocery store...

Which is why I pretty much ride on the track exclusively...

Last edited:
he had me until the weaving part...yeah, next time i see a popo sitting at an intersection i will try the weaving technique and really see how much attention i get...

he had me until the weaving part...yeah, next time i see a popo sitting at an intersection i will try the weaving technique and really see how much attention i get...

I like how you say this as if youve just discredited 50+ years of teachings with one hypothetical situation. FYI they teach this in the Learners courses. If you weave like an idiot, expect a ticket. If you slightly weave in your lane like they did in the video, a cop wont pull you over. And if he does, explain why you were weaving.

Will give this a shot, but not thrilled about the idea of weaving through intersections. Lots of intersections have oil build up in the middle of the lane. That's not something I want to be weaving in and out of.

May be a better idea in a country road where you are doing 80km/h and you notice someone waiting to pull out.

Will give this a shot, but not thrilled about the idea of weaving through intersections.

I think the point is you weave before the intersection. This is assuming the SMIDSY situation is caused by a vehicle in said intersection.

I'm very cautious when there are cars poised to pull out and tend to use the horn and flip the high beams on ( big time visibility jump for the Burgman even in daylight ).

Worst is cars on both sides as you know they are being distracted by each other as well as traffic crossing them.

I'm not shy on using the horn and eye contact is very important.

I'll try this but it's one more thing to break concentration on the situation....and I'd not want to have to brake hard tho again lead time is the idea.
We'll see. Horn and lights up have been working for 45 years.... :D

I like how you say this as if youve just discredited 50+ years of teachings with one hypothetical situation. FYI they teach this in the Learners courses. If you weave like an idiot, expect a ticket. If you slightly weave in your lane like they did in the video, a cop wont pull you over. And if he does, explain why you were weaving.

well, different country, different look towards bikes...in england they have fairer weather, more bikes seen all year round, something more commonly seen...here, we're pretty much 6-8 months a year of riding, so people on the roads aren't use to seeing this...and honestly, how many people on here have actually seen another rider do this...and after being stopped by the popo once because they had to ask why i was "wandering within" my lane, they didn't ride and so i couldn't be bothered to explain...i didn't get a ticket, but it ain't worth the headache...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom