The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 273 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Hmm... so how do these work? You place the beacon on the start line and it records when you pass by? I wonder how accurate it is vs a GPS based timer (Ie. phone)
The battery powered beacon goes on the start/finish and the display stays with the bike. It automatically records lap times and can store up to 64 laps to be reviewed later. As per the description, it is accurate to within 0.02s/lap.

So vs a GPS lap timer, you would need a 50Hz GPS receiver to be as accurate. To me, cell phone lap timer solutions are more for data gathering, like speed in corners and sectors, rather than super accurate lap time. With a 10Hz BT GPS receiver you get 0.1 second accuracy which is good enough to see improvement. Being able to see sector speeds you can see what lines are faster and improve your lap time where you need to rather than blindly "trying to go faster".

So vs a GPS lap timer, you would need a 50Hz GPS receiver to be as accurate. To me, cell phone lap timer solutions are more for data gathering, like speed in corners and sectors, rather than super accurate lap time. With a 10Hz BT GPS receiver you get 0.1 second accuracy which is good enough to see improvement. Being able to see sector speeds you can see what lines are faster and improve your lap time where you need to rather than blindly "trying to go faster".

I would love a GPS setup to see where I'm slow and where I'm slower, but I don't know enough about them to know where to start. I think just knowing lap times will be a very good start, and if I upgrade to the GPS timer in the future, I'm sure I'll have no issues selling the timer and beacon off.
This means I won't have to bug GSXR Girl to time anymore!

Oh, and I found the perfect Christmas present for BigEvilDoer for our GB track days....
be6c8920cbf6c86a3f311a30b69b7249.jpg

high five.

LOL... Nice. So Randy needs a combine and I need a hover craft to get over the mud puddles.

At the end of the season I bought a used cell phone and armoured case from a friend of mine, and got a 10Hz GPS receiver. I tested it out at the MX track (street track days were done) and it seems pretty cool. The setup cost me about $180. I've been using an IR lap timer for years but now I want to see some lap telemetry just for fun.

Those are impressive examples. What on earth goes on during your work day?

Those are impressive examples. What on earth goes on during your work day?
Today was just to clean up the shop and our desks. Closed at noon today and back to work Jan 2nd.
But normally I'm a bit busier than this. And the summer is crazy!

I would love a GPS setup to see where I'm slow and where I'm slower, but I don't know enough about them to know where to start. I think just knowing lap times will be a very good start, and if I upgrade to the GPS timer in the future, I'm sure I'll have no issues selling the timer and beacon off.
This means I won't have to bug GSXR Girl to time anymore!

lol, that's good because I missed your best lap last round. I'm easily distracted...

And you'll have to show me your GPS setup. I've got a few old cell phones laying around....

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Track Addict app and a Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz Bluetooth GPS Receiver paired to the phone. The phone is in an armoured case that attaches to the tank with Velcro and a piece of safety wire. I also plan to put a rubber band around it so the case can't possibly come open. I need to mount the GPS receiver somewhere safe but functional too...

I'm using Dave's bike... and the algebraic property of associativity to calculate my lap times.

LOL... Sounds good. Subtract a few seconds for tracks that reward horsepower

I'm taking an internet break tomorrow to focus on family, so here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas!
c12e80585347939ced9f152147ae33d3.jpg

Meanwhile, in New Orleans....
https://ibb.co/f5mTUw

Closest one looks to have been High sided and cartwheeled. Cant imagine the skill it took to achieve that.

Last edited:
Well, finally got my engine back together today, planning on putting the radiator on tomorrow and seeing if it still runs :D
Setting the timing was really, really difficult until I figured out how the cam chain tensioner works. If I had to do it again, its about a 2 hour job to replace shims as needed once the valve cover is off. I am very happy I did this myself, learned quite a bit more about the bike and now I'm determined to have the engine exceed 100,000 km's

* Update: Everything is installed now and the moment of truth came this afternoon to see if it still works! Started up without any issues so I'm pretty happy with myself :D

U2r2ODk.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom