The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 249 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Congrats Sebi! Bike looks great!

I use Q3's on both my street and track bikes and love them. I agree with Rico you will only get 5 to 6k on them. They are good enough for a very fast rider to take my bike out in red group at Calabogie without warmers and have no problems.

Most riders have very strong opinions on tires. To try to keep things on track, 8-9k is a fair bit of mileage to get out of a tire, as dave suggested roadsmart 2's are a good bet. Just keep in mind a tire is always a trade off between grip and mileage. I'm partial to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's (I think they released the 3 this year) which last longer than the Q3's, but won't go as far as the roadsmart 2's. Even ran them on the track once just to test them out and they are surprisingly effective for not really being a track tire. I know BigEvil likes the S20's. The T30's on there now on his RC8 are much better mileage, but personally I hate how they feel.

I'm also in the hate club for bridgestone BT-everything, and the Michelin Pilot series. Nothing is really right or wrong, most tires are pretty good, it just depends on preference.

Since you have the fairings off, consider changing the coolant and having a look at/cleaning/replacing the air filter. Checking the spark plugs is always good too it'll give you a pretty good idea of whats going on inside the bike. Step 1.) get the service manual :)
Very helpful post, thanks! I'll make sure to check all fluids and the like. Is it worth getting a K&N, snorkel delete, pod filter etc or is all that stuff not worth it? I think I've decided on the Road Smart's, I see Petes has them for like $150

Very helpful post, thanks! I'll make sure to check all fluids and the like. Is it worth getting a K&N, snorkel delete, pod filter etc or is all that stuff not worth it? I think I've decided on the Road Smart's, I see Petes has them for like $150
Unless your taking it to the track there is no use. KN filter only is the current one needs replacing. Everyone customizes to their own taste but bikes close to stock sell easier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Unless your taking it to the track there is no use. KN filter only is the current one needs replacing. Everyone customizes to their own taste but bikes close to stock sell easier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
K&N in most cases makes less power than a clean stock filter.

What's the new track bike look like ?

Don't have it yet... going to have a look on Saturday morning I think. Depends on what kind of deal we can work out.

Hey, I know somebody selling a Daytona 675 for a good deal - I know you want one... ;)

Any update? Hopefully it went well :)

Picked it up today. Need to change all the fluids, clean up some of the bodywork a bit and give it a bit of my own flair.
Tires on it are good - Dunlop GPA on the front and a Dunlop race slick (with 1 day at Gosport on it).

What did you get ?

2009 KTM RC8.
Wheels are in great shape. Will need to upgrade the stock fork springs before the season begins. Do a bit of clean up on the bodywork and away we go!
Will look into a new chain too - it's been sitting quite a while and has some rust - rubber rings may be a bit hard too, but I'll get some rubber rejuvenator from work and see how that works before the extra expense of a chain.

Now I just have to sell my Daytona...

I thought you already had an RC8....?

Have a 2012 RC8r for the street.
Track bike is a 2009 RC8.

Found the Daytona is a just a wee bit small for my body dimensions - maybe the prior injuries to my right rotator cuff, destroyed sternum and messed up collar bone in the left shoulder make the optimal position on the D675 difficult... and I believe I've figured out a solid body position on the RC8/r, Can't wait to rail the track.

Last edited:
Sounds good!
I still have yet to get a track bike.... Maybe next year. I just finished trading in my VFR800 for an FJR1300. Little more power, and a bit better suited to touring the US.
The wife will shoot me if I do more bike shopping this year!!

On the plus side, if you leave them alone together in the garage all winter, maybe they'll get together and you'll end up with a 390 for next year :)

I thought you already had an RC8....?

LOL!! Can you imagine him on the 390? Like a bear on a tricycle!!

Yeah yeah yeah... Put Smergy on it and it would be like a giraffe on a unicycle.. hehehe...

Too bad your wife wears the pants and won't let you get a track bike (like an uber-awesome Triumph Daytona 675). :D

Happy wife, happy life!!
Besides, when I say I want a track bike, I want something good and reliable.....

Back
Top Bottom