The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 248 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

This is how it ends!
2JAsLK1.jpg

Thanks! I think I should get some frame sliders, thinking of getting Woodcraft's... What do you guys think?
Also rear tire needs replacing. I'm thinking the dual compound is the way to go, anyone have experience with that?

Woodcraft sliders are nice. Replaceable pucks are good if you expect to crash a lot.

Many of the sport tires are dual compound now. Are you looking for a tire that will last longer? A sport touring tire would be good for that.

Yeah, probably way easier to sell it as a street bike. It's never been down at the track, right?

Yeah, probably way easier to sell it as a street bike. It's never been down at the track, right?

Nope. Never down at the track. Guy I bought it from purchased it from a fellow who dropped it on the street. Colin (former head master tech at BMW London) fixed it up and sold it to me.

So, like my ninja 250, I deciided to take it all apart on the first morning of owning it. So different compared to the 250, no more empty space between engine/fairing :D
Interesting to see how the ducting is made in the fairings to aid engine cooling and all the little tid bits. Anyone have any experience with tightening steering head bearings? I think I might need to do that... Also, looking at the pilot 3's for tires on the rear. Anyone have experience with them?
8mfb1MZ.jpg

I've heard lots of people who love the PR3's. Personally I've never used a Michelin I liked, but it's been a long time since I tried them.

Anyone have any experience with tightening steering head bearings? I think I might need to do that...

Check the steering stem nut first to see if it is torqued to spec. Steering bearings are a pita to change - Did mine in the Triumph last fall with Smergy's supervision..

Dunno about the PR3's. Only used the Power 2CT a few years back and didn't care for them at all.

Dunlop Q3's are excellent, Bridgestone S20's are also very good. You didn't answer my question though. Are you going for a longer mileage tire? I can recommend Dunlop Road Smart 2's. I had them on my FZ09. Knee dragging stickiness and after 5000km they were barely starting to show wear in the centre. With the stiffer sport touring tire you can drop the pressure since your bike is light. I was running 29psi front and 30-32psi rear.

Not necessarily, if it lasts around 8-9k km's that'd be ideal. I have no idea if that's considered high/low mileage or if it's even realistic. How do the road smarts compare with the q3's?

Ditto on not liking Michelins. I have tried Q3's. Excellent tire. Grippy and warm up quickly. Flip side is that they wear pretty quickly. I went through a set pretty quickly. Maybe 5-6k ...with spirited riding of course :)

Not necessarily, if it lasts around 8-9k km's that'd be ideal. I have no idea if that's considered high/low mileage or if it's even realistic. How do the road smarts compare with the q3's?

Had the pilot power 3's on my SV and loved them. Decent in the rain as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most riders have very strong opinions on tires. To try to keep things on track, 8-9k is a fair bit of mileage to get out of a tire, as dave suggested roadsmart 2's are a good bet. Just keep in mind a tire is always a trade off between grip and mileage. I'm partial to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's (I think they released the 3 this year) which last longer than the Q3's, but won't go as far as the roadsmart 2's. Even ran them on the track once just to test them out and they are surprisingly effective for not really being a track tire. I know BigEvil likes the S20's. The T30's on there now on his RC8 are much better mileage, but personally I hate how they feel.

I'm also in the hate club for bridgestone BT-everything, and the Michelin Pilot series. Nothing is really right or wrong, most tires are pretty good, it just depends on preference.

Since you have the fairings off, consider changing the coolant and having a look at/cleaning/replacing the air filter. Checking the spark plugs is always good too it'll give you a pretty good idea of whats going on inside the bike. Step 1.) get the service manual :)

Back
Top Bottom