The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 240 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I dont know if I remember this correctly, but is there such a thing as a tire with a harder compound in the middle (durable for street riding) and softer sides (better grip for sport riding)?

Sebi, yes, definitely there are options. In your size there are probably fewer options but look at some sport touring tires. I'm running Dunlop Road Smart 2's and so far they're great. 4000km and very little sign of wear in the middle yet sticky enough that I've had my knee down. Look at Bridgestone T30 and Michelin Pilot Road 4's too.

Most street tires have dual compounds at varying ratios. On the sportier side you'll find supercorsa SP tires, Diablo Rosso Corsa, Q3's etc. Great grip, but wear faster. On the flip side you can get much harder touring style tires which will go longer, but of course at the cost of sporty performance. Not news to anyone, but no tire is really right or wrong, its just a matter of preference and conditions you ride in. Most tires now a days are quite good for the average street rider. I always liked the Rosso 2's, which I think are really the same compounds as the DRC's, just a different percentage of hard vs. soft edging. Even took them on the track on the race bike just for fun and they are surprisingly grippy. Used them both on the VFR and the CBR when it was on the street which I found was a good balance.

I dont know if I remember this correctly, but is there such a thing as a tire with a harder compound in the middle (durable for street riding) and softer sides (better grip for sport riding)?

What Dave and Smergy said...
I just about cooked my new Bridgestone S20's between our trip to the dragon and now. The centres have about 20% left in them and that's it.
Thinking about trying the Bridgestone T30's next, or go back to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's (was happy with them on my old Buell), but I am really hoping that the S20's will last the season out. Really don't want to drop another $350 on tires this summer.

Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 1 (Sunday Aug. 16), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Tim Hortons at University/Bridge Intersection
Pace:
Medium with spirited sections
Duration:
~3 hours; ride up to Hockley Valley

If you can make it, post saying so below so we have an idea of #'s. After the ride perhaps we could all grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Hope to see you guys out there! :icon_smile:

Yo Sebi, I think I'd be in for that. :) Maybe we can add in some other good stuff.

Last edited:
I just mapped out a different (and longer) route home from Hockley. We can discuss it before the ride :)

Sounds good guys, Dave, the route you planned is still plenty twisty I hope? ;) (is it like the original but just with extra after?)
Also Scott, shoot me a text an we'll work something out.

Last edited:
Need to drop someone off at the airport, put me down as a maybe. If I'm not there on time, just leave without me

Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 1 (Sunday Aug. 16), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Tim Hortons at University/Bridge Intersection
Pace:
Medium with spirited sections
Duration:
~3 hours; ride up to Hockley Valley

If you can make it, post saying so below so we have an idea of #'s. After the ride perhaps we could all grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Hope to see you guys out there! :icon_smile:

Won't miss this one! Will just beg for forgiveness instead of asking for permission ?

Thanks to all that came out today, really good (and long) ride paired with beautiful weather led to perfect Sunday afternoon. Hopefully we can all do weekly rides but with shorter routes. (~2 hours instead of 4.5) We will definetly get a long ride in again though before the season is out. Hope you all have a great week and hopefully see you guys next weekend! :D

Back
Top Bottom