The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 145 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Keith my thoughts and prayers with the family buddy.

If anyone is still interested in meeting up we can? Decide on leader/route once we see who all shows?

Post up if you still want to

I'm still in as well

When: Wednesday
Time: 7:00pm
Meet Spot: Timmies on King & Sportsworld Dr.
Duration: 2 hours
Pace: Noob friendly
aakl21.jpg

There's two Tim's in that area. Let's meet at the one closest to the movie theatre :)

Also. Anyone riding on M1?

damn, condolences to you and your family

on a side note, is anyone willing to help me with my first oil change?

i'll bring oil and filter and a 6 pack or something lol.
i can do all the work, i just need someone to be there if i screw something up

it's a pretty simple process, I can show you how to do it, but really you just unplug the drain bolt on the oil pan (probably have to take off your lower fairing), oil will drain. Oil filter screws off, screw on a new one, fill with oil.

Some bikes require a new crush washer for the oil drain plug. They are cheap, but specific, you can re-use them in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can tell by looking at your drain plug bolt, if it has a seperate washer on it.

[video=youtube_share;TFHPtzytr6w]http://youtu.be/TFHPtzytr6w[/video]

not sure what year your bike is but I think you had a Ninja 250?

this might help. I'm free sunday if you're in a jam.

I'm free sunday if you're in a jam.
i was thinking of getting it done before the ride today :sad1:

it's a pretty simple process, I can show you how to do it, but really you just unplug the drain bolt on the oil pan (probably have to take off your lower fairing), oil will drain. Oil filter screws off, screw on a new one, fill with oil.

true are u free sometime today?

one ride won't make or break it, don't have time before the ride

aight no worries

so according to the internet, im picking up a K&N: KN-401 filter and Shell Rotella T6 (Full Synthetic 5W-40) or the Amsoil 10W40 synthetic sounds about right?

Last edited:
aight no worries
so according to the internet, im picking up a K&N: KN-401 filter and Shell Rotella T6 (Full Synthetic 5W-40) or the Amsoil 10W40 synthetic sounds about right?

Oil and filter choice is really up to you.
LOTS of people use dino-grade oil only, others use pure synthetic. Just make sure you don't use any oil marked "Energy Conserving" or "Resource Conserving" in the circular information spot on the back of the jug. Those will make your clutch slip in short order due to anti friction additives.

I like Agip 15w50 full synthetic in my Buell. Super smooth and notch-free shifts, but it's very expensive stuff ($16/litre).
Use Shell Rotella T diesel engine oil in my Suzuki SV1000 track bike. Gets changed every 2 track days, so full synthetic would be prohibitively expensive.

Shell Rotella T6 is usually around $42 for a 5L jug at Canadian Tire. Sometimes you can find it cheaper at WalMart.

Here's a list of non-motorcycle specific oils off another website that apparently work just great. Disclaimer - this info from another website.

1. Castrol RX Super 15w40
  2. Chevron Delo 400 15w40
  3. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
  4. Pennzoil Long-Life 15w40
  5. Quaker State 4X4 Synthetic Blend 15w40
  6. Shell Rotella-T 15w40
  7. SuperTech 2000 (WalMart) 15w40
  8. Valvoline All Fleet 15w40
  9. Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15w40

Another website: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html
Some of the oils shown are not available here in Canada.
Later!

Last edited:
everyone has their preference on oil. I usually buy mine at the motorcycle show in the winter, a case or two at a time. Picked up a case of Motul 7100 for $32/jug from pro6 in jan. Then had to buy a few more last track day after I ran out @ $39.99. At royal its $54 or so I think.

Back to the point, I like full synthetic, it shifts smoother, but if your not racing/tracking the bike arguably you don't really need it, a standard or blended oil is fine, and usually a few bucks cheaper. The slipperier the oil (semi or full synthetic) the higher the probability is you have clutch slip. Since a 250 isn't a super high HP bike, its probably a non-issue. Nothing wrong with the rotella or amsoil, lots of guys use it. I like motul. Just avoid the Motul 300V, its for race only (unless your racing of course).

everyone has their preference on oil. I usually buy mine at the motorcycle show in the winter, a case or two at a time. Picked up a case of Motul 7100 for $32/jug from pro6 in jan. Then had to buy a few more last track day after I ran out @ $39.99. At royal its $54 or so I think.

Sirius Motosports in Cambridge has good deals on oil, I grab my Motul 5100 for $29.99 a jug.

i see yeah i just picked up some motul 7100 10w40 4t and a OEM honda cbr250 filter. the dude at the shop said it would work for a ninja 250 ... lol

Last edited:
It'll be fine, it looks like transmission fluid, its a cool red colour. How much was the oil?

i see yeah i just picked up some motul 7100 10w40 4t and a OEM honda cbr250 filter. the dude at the shop said it would work for a ninja 250 ... lol anyone confirm this?

Anyone interested in riding up to Port Dover this Friday? We should round up a good group to ride down with. Any takers?!

Back
Top Bottom