The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 112 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I use this, its ok at best, but does the trick, probably find it for less at princess auto:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...6224P/One-man+Brake+Bleeder+Kit.jsp?locale=en

the container is nice, saves brake fluid from going everywhere, but the magnet is pretty useless considering msot things are fiberglass or round on a bike, but with a longer hose you can find places to clip it on to. Couple things to note when bleeding brakes:

1.) use a clear tube and get all of the air out, look for very tiny bubbles
2.) IMO, don't use the dot 5.1 aka "racing" stuff, its silicone based and gives a spongy feel. Either use regular dot 4, or if your racing/doing track go to the motul 660 (tony @ bluestreak sells it for $30/qt).
3.) isopropyl alcohol ($2 at any drug store) cleans up brake fluid very well, don't let brake fluid get on/suck into your pads
4.) rough your pads with a bit of sandpaper/steel wool/somethign abrassive, clean your rotors with a green scratch pad/brake cleaner
5.) once finished, or before a track/race day, tape your lever fully engaged overnight, the lever pressure will help any trapped air bubbles to float up.

takes a few stops for the brakes to seat, but after that they should feel firm/grippy. This is what I do, I'm sure other people do it differently.

BlueRider, sometimes with the MityVac, I find that you'll suck in air through the bleeder nipple threads. Plumbing tape can help.

I did use a borrowed MityVac and it was helpful, but I tended to use it combined with squeezing the levers and at low vac pressure (<10 lb).

I was able to make it a 1-man job by wrapping a bungee cable around the front brake lever.

I have a "Mity Vac" you can borrow.Pm me

I just attached the tube to the bleeder valve and pumped the levers and refilled the master untill it was fresh fluid is coming out the bleeder with no bubbles.

Or just use this :D

BlueRider, sometimes with the MityVac, I find that you'll suck in air through the bleeder nipple threads. Plumbing tape can help.

I did use a borrowed MityVac and it was helpful, but I tended to use it combined with squeezing the levers and at low vac pressure (<10 lb).

I was able to make it a 1-man job by wrapping a bungee cable around the front brake lever.

I use this, its ok at best, but does the trick, probably find it for less at princess auto:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...6224P/One-man+Brake+Bleeder+Kit.jsp?locale=en

the container is nice, saves brake fluid from going everywhere, but the magnet is pretty useless considering msot things are fiberglass or round on a bike, but with a longer hose you can find places to clip it on to. Couple things to note when bleeding brakes:

1.) use a clear tube and get all of the air out, look for very tiny bubbles
2.) IMO, don't use the dot 5.1 aka "racing" stuff, its silicone based and gives a spongy feel. Either use regular dot 4, or if your racing/doing track go to the motul 660 (tony @ bluestreak sells it for $30/qt).
3.) isopropyl alcohol ($2 at any drug store) cleans up brake fluid very well, don't let brake fluid get on/suck into your pads
4.) rough your pads with a bit of sandpaper/steel wool/somethign abrassive, clean your rotors with a green scratch pad/brake cleaner
5.) once finished, or before a track/race day, tape your lever fully engaged overnight, the lever pressure will help any trapped air bubbles to float up.

takes a few stops for the brakes to seat, but after that they should feel firm/grippy. This is what I do, I'm sure other people do it differently.

Guys thanks a lot for all your help and tips.
First I ended up cleaning the pads, rotors and calipers with some brake clean, (wow a lot of crap on the rotors ) Basically just cleaned the grroves on the pads with the brake clean and a tooth brush. Also the pins were dirty and I think the pads were sticking on them.
As for the brake fluid I actually ended up getting a paint syringe,and some clear tubing, and sucking the fluid out of the resavour. Then just finished bleeding the rest out of the lines. Little tough doing it alone but beer and lots of paitence helped a lot. LOl
After I was done took her for a little rip just around town for now ( had family coming over for BBQ ) but it felt smooth and no chattering. Might try a quick hard rip today if I can find a bit of time to do it.
Thanks again guys I appriciate the help and tip.

All the guys on here are great for us noobs. Like me

Any rides for this weekend ? Saturday I'll be in town for noon so that would be a good time for me.

Few of us think a sat (prob Sunday) afternoon ride. Myself and 2 others anyway.

not sure yet, still recovering from the weekend, need to do some work to the bike for monday, I'd be a maybe

Any rides for this weekend ? Saturday I'll be in town for noon so that would be a good time for me.

Not sure here iether putting the house up for sale so I have a pretty long to do list. Then I'm going to get me a bigger garage. Sweet. Oh I guess the wifey gets a bigger house too. Lol.

Last edited:
Looks like Sunday will be a nice day 16 and sun. Who's up for an afternoon ride. Weather permitting of course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be a maybe, track monday, depends if I get everything I need to done or not. Might be a good pre-track test, post a date and time I'm sure others will want to go for zip

Looks like Sunday will be a nice day 16 and sun. Who's up for an afternoon ride. Weather permitting of course?

I'm also a maybe. It's my mother's birthday on Monday, so I think we might be getting together on Sunday. I'm hoping I can get out in the afternoon.

I have my daughter and am not free till just after 3pm.
If you guys are willing to meet around 3:30-4pm I would be in.

Back
Top Bottom