The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 284 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

If anyone wants to join in for a somewhat scenic season closer, come by this Friday!

Meet at the Tims at 120 Ottawa St. N for 4:45 with KSU 15 mins later. If you can't get off work that early, we are having a second meet spot in Guelph at Tims(486-488 Woodlawn Rd E) for ~5:30.

Planning on checking out the fall colors at the forks :D

If anyone wants to join in for a somewhat scenic season closer, come by this Friday!

Meet at the Tims at 120 Ottawa St. N for 4:45 with KSU 15 mins later. If you can't get off work that early, we are having a second meet spot in Guelph at Tims(486-488 Woodlawn Rd E) for ~5:30.

Planning on checking out the fall colors at the forks :D

This sounds like it could be good....lol
And as a bonus, the Guelph stop is near my house - I just might be there!
Thanks for putting this together, Sebi!

Wow, what a great way to end off the season :D
Thanks to all that came out, we had quite a large turnout! Looking forward to hosting many more for 2019+
t2zU0uI.jpg

I've done Jennings a couple of times. It's great. Plenty of Canadian racers do a pre season test there. Weather starts getting decent there usually late Feb or early March. It is a bike only track, cars don't chew up the surface because they're not there.

Closer to home, over the years, I've done Grattan, Gingerman, Putnam Park, Mid Ohio, Road America. It's getting to be quite a while, though. I haven't been to Grattan since the race organization that I was a member of at the time, closed up at the end of 2002.

Who has experience buying a bike in the states? I'm thinking of picking up an mt09 or the mt09sp and am considering buying from down south. Is it a pretty easy process? Anything to watch for?

Both the CBR and the R1 came from the US. There is a bit to it, but if you are organized, its actually straight forward.

Pit falls:

- You need to figure out if it is really worth it, especially with the dollar now. Do the math for the mileage, and import and time costs
- Importing it as a road legal bike has more restrictions. You really want a stock bike, in particular an OEM exhaust. New rules have become really rigid on this in particular and are very loosey goosey on what the RIV considers 'modified'
- Canadian Tire is the only place that can do federal inspection. If you get a moron looking at the bike (i.e. exhaust requirements), this could be an issue
- If the bike does not pass federal inspection it must be returned to the US.
- There is a 72 hour period before you can import. They are pretty rigid on this. Can only be done M-F, weekends don't count. Its a chicken and an egg problem. You can't export the bike until you have the title, and it is unlikely someone is going to give you the title without receiving money. You probably don't want to pay for a bike and not take it with you from some random person. You can store it at places like CBI, but its another layer of headache.
- The US does not have a centralized lien system like the MTO. Absolutely be sure you pay the $10 USD for a vin search. I can dig up the place I used which was good. I could not believe how many US bikes had liens. You must have a clean title to import.
- Shipping bikes in the US is the wild west, I shipped the R1 and would avoid it if you can

Both the CBR and the R1 came from the US. There is a bit to it, but if you are organized, its actually straight forward.

Pit falls:

- You need to figure out if it is really worth it, especially with the dollar now. Do the math for the mileage, and import and time costs
- Importing it as a road legal bike has more restrictions. You really want a stock bike, in particular an OEM exhaust. New rules have become really rigid on this in particular and are very loosey goosey on what the RIV considers 'modified'
- Canadian Tire is the only place that can do federal inspection. If you get a moron looking at the bike (i.e. exhaust requirements), this could be an issue
- If the bike does not pass federal inspection it must be returned to the US.
- There is a 72 hour period before you can import. They are pretty rigid on this. Can only be done M-F, weekends don't count. Its a chicken and an egg problem. You can't export the bike until you have the title, and it is unlikely someone is going to give you the title without receiving money. You probably don't want to pay for a bike and not take it with you from some random person. You can store it at places like CBI, but its another layer of headache.
- The US does not have a centralized lien system like the MTO. Absolutely be sure you pay the $10 USD for a vin search. I can dig up the place I used which was good. I could not believe how many US bikes had liens. You must have a clean title to import.
- Shipping bikes in the US is the wild west, I shipped the R1 and would avoid it if you can

Thanks for the detailed info. It helps hearing other people's experience with it. As far as going for a base MT09 and upgrading to Ohlins rear vs buying MT09 SP with factory Ohlins, I've heard in a few places that factory Ohlins is never quite as good as aftermarket Ohlins you can pick up. Is it typical that manufactures stick a lower tier Ohlins model just to have their name on there? Any experience with that?

Are you thinking of buying new or used? I bought a new CBR1000 in 2013 when the exchange rate was good enough to make it worth it but it is difficult to find a dealer that will sell to a Canadian. They have rules that you need a US address and proof of residence but some dealers are willing to work around that. Otherwise, like Randy said it's not difficult - just be organized with your paperwork and planned times for border crossing.

Good point. Mine were both used

Hello everyone,

It is time to come out of hibernation, forecast for this Sunday is 16° and sunny!

We will be hosting our official KSR Season Opener to kick off the season. If you haven't made it out to any rides last year, come meet the group and join in on the fun! After the ride, we'll be stopping at St. Louis for some food/drinks.

Date: Sunday, April 7
Time: 3, kickstands up 15 mins later (Have gas!)
Route/Duration: Bellwood Lake, Elora, Conestoga Dam, St. Louis Wings
Pace: Slow cruise, no shenanigans. Roads are cold/messy.

See you all out there; hope to see a bunch of new faces!

Any one from the east end ( T.O.)go to these meetups? If so, reply here please...

Just signed up for the Facebook group. Will try to make it out Sunday.

Just signed up for the Facebook group. Will try to make it out Sunday.

See you there!

I've accepted your request for the group. Under the announcements tab, you'll find a post with everyone's bikes. I've also added you to the 2 chat groups we use.

Who has experience buying a bike in the states? I'm thinking of picking up an mt09 or the mt09sp and am considering buying from down south. Is it a pretty easy process? Anything to watch for?

Used or new? I've imported 4 used bikes. The marking on the exhaust is the one that you might be concerned with if it's not stock:

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Also, you can get the seller to get the ITN number for you, but I just paid the $35 to AES that way I knew it was done right.

See you there!

I've accepted your request for the group. Under the announcements tab, you'll find a post with everyone's bikes. I've also added you to the 2 chat groups we use.

Thanks. Haven't done a GTAM group ride in a couple years. Looking forward to reconnecting now that I'm an empty nester.

Just wanted to confirm the ride for tomorrow. All original details have remained the same; we also have St. Louis booked at 5:30.
Meetup is at the Tims at Ottawa/Weber for 3pm, KSU 15 mins after.
See you guys there!

Back
Top Bottom