The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 257 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Well decided on my new chain/gearing setup.
I'm going to be going with the DID Z-VMX 520 gold chain. This is supposedly a tougher though slightly heavier variant to the ERV3. As for sprockets, I'm going to be going with AFAM -1/+2 steel sprockets. All in around $340 from Blue Streak Racing. I'll post up an update once I get them but it'll be a nice chainge. The chain I have right now is a sad mess :(

This is off topic but on topic... Generally speaking, in the Kitchener area, we don't really have the traffic pile ups that you would get closer to Toronto, as such, my cage will always be manually shifted (I reserve the right to change my mind down the road)....

I'm looking at new cars and the case for DSG on a VW GTI (automated dual-clutch manual) is quite compelling for acceleration, stop 'n' go traffic, launches, fuel consumption and aftermarket tuning, easier for the wife... haha. There is a strong case. But, I'm still a 'save the manuals' kind of guy based on the fact that I ride too and I find it more fun, plainly put. Not trying to justify my choice, just throwing out a couple comments.

Not trying to open a can of worms, because, my decision is made for now to stick with a 6 speed lever... just curious to hear other folks 2 cents. Does being a motorcycle rider tie you to manual transmissions?

Cheers!

This is off topic but on topic... Generally speaking, in the Kitchener area, we don't really have the traffic pile ups that you would get closer to Toronto, as such, my cage will always be manually shifted (I reserve the right to change my mind down the road)....

I'm looking at new cars and the case for DSG on a VW GTI (automated dual-clutch manual) is quite compelling for acceleration, stop 'n' go traffic, launches, fuel consumption and aftermarket tuning, easier for the wife... haha. There is a strong case. But, I'm still a 'save the manuals' kind of guy based on the fact that I ride too and I find it more fun, plainly put. Not trying to justify my choice, just throwing out a couple comments.

Not trying to open a can of worms, because, my decision is made for now to stick with a 6 speed lever... just curious to hear other folks 2 cents. Does being a motorcycle rider tie you to manual transmissions?

Cheers!

For what it’s worth, I drive a manual 2L Jetta which I use to commute to Mississauga daily while on my Coop work term. While I do enjoy the manual 99% of the time, it is a bit of a pain in stop and go traffic. That being said, the clutch on the Jetta is ridiculously light so it’s actually not THAT bad. The DSG sounds like a perfect fit for you. I’ve driven auto’s with decent manual sequential and they are still pretty fun! The only thing that would hold me back from the DSG is maintenance/reliability but only because I haven’t done any research on it.

I ride a motorcycle but own a Ram with a hemi/8speed auto... I'm not tied to a manual car and my answer has no help for your question cause I have zero idea what DSG means lol

I ride a motorcycle but own a Ram with a hemi/8speed auto... I'm not tied to a manual car and my answer has no help for your question cause I have zero idea what DSG means lol

I think DSG is just an automated dual-clutch manual. Sequential +/- shifting. I could be totally off however.

If i was doing tons of rush hour commute without much highway time I likely wouldn't buy one a standard, even though I've driven them most of my life.
The only way I'd consider one nowadays is in a sports car - in a grocery getter sedan etc, forget it.

I wouldn't mind one in a truck, but that usually drops the towing capacity.

So my dad is thinking of getting a bike but I'm unsure what to recommend him. Any ideas? He doesn't like cruisers and is leaning to something like the cbr500r or FZ6r.

So my dad is thinking of getting a bike but I'm unsure what to recommend him. Any ideas? He doesn't like cruisers and is leaning to something like the cbr500r or FZ6r.

Started on an FZ6r. Great overall general purpose bike.
If I was looking for something to just bop around on, have some fun and get back on 2 wheels without crazy performance (or that lovely v-twin rumble), I'd very strongly consider buying one again.

Bit buzzy at 110-120km, but you can fix that with a +1 sprocket on the front (which mathematically also brings the speedometer back to accuracy). Can find used ones with low KM pretty easily.

Here's one in Kitchener for under $6k asking price:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...6r/1229135096?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
They do look like pretty sweet bikes; thanks for the recommendation! Any years to look for in particular or it's all the same bike mechanically from 2008 onwards?

They do look like pretty sweet bikes; thanks for the recommendation! Any years to look for in particular or it's all the same bike mechanically from 2008 onwards?

As far as I know, they're pretty much all the same bike with some cosmetic tweaks only.

Anyone else like Danko Jones?
He's playing at Maxwell's on Saturday, April 8...

He's okay, but I won't be going. I did get Avenged Sevenfold, Volbeat and Metallica tickets though! :)

He's okay, but I won't be going. I did get Avenged Sevenfold, Volbeat and Metallica tickets though! :)

Freaking amazing... seen A7X and Metallica a couple times each, but never Volbeat.... which is a band I'd really like to see. Jealous!!!
But, Jacqueline bought us tickets for the Amnesia Music Festival in Quebec City - a 4 Day Festival with Rammstein as a headliner.. can't wait!

Have to admit, that was an amazing surprise and gift.. first time a GF has done anything like that!

I thought about going to Metallica one last time (would be 13th time seeing them I think) but I obviously have not been to concerts in a while .... they are expensive now! LOL (or I am just getting old ... little of both probably). First concert I ever went to was Metallica ... 1986 I think ... was shortly after Cliff was killed.

The festival in Quebec looks interesting. Iggy would be cool to see again ... in 2009 or 2010 he was on a stage at Younge & Dundas Square in Toronto and I happen to be wandering by. He was doing Stooges tunes. Saw him in 98/99? at Molsen Park as well. That might have been with Metallica, Danzig, Violent Femmes and Ramones that day. I know I saw the last 4 all on 1 day in Barrie. Rammstien would be good too though have not seen them before, hmmmmm, off to consult buddy and ticket prices.

Jeff

Sent him the link, thanks. My dad is still undecided, we're just about to go under a major kitchen renovation so we'll have to see how finances are after that.

Anyone know what happened today around 8:45pm at Victoria/Ebycrest? Was driving home from a family ski trip and saw a nasty wreck. Bike looked totaled and a car was in the ditch. From what I saw, the bike was trying to turn left up onto Ebycrest when the car T-Boned it. Not a pretty scene, hoping for the best.

Edit: News link here. Hoping for the best

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom