The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 239 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Group Ride

Time: Kickstands up at 6, have gas!
Location: McD at Ottawa/River intersection (1020 Ottawa Street North)
Pace: Medium
Duration: ~1 hour. Have a route in mind, completely open to suggestions as long as we finish at Royal

Ride will finish at Royal Distributing's (Bike night there)

Hope to see you guys out there! :)

Thursday Review....
Was a good fun day again, great weather, low humidity...
Randy and Dan zipped up the Cherohala Skyway ahead of me (I was 2-up, so was riding more granny than normal). Made it to the Tennessee border, when we encountered them on the way back. Apparently there was still a bunch of debris from the thunderstorms earlier in the week, and it wasn't something to ride at a spirited pace.

Went for a swim at the Fontana Lake at the marina - the water was warm, and very refreshing.. unfortunately, no beach, but we could swim off the end of the main dock in 150 foot deep water with a rather rickety ladder to pull yourself out.

Back to the house, relaxed a bit, and then Randy and I headed off to slay the dragon a couple more times nearer the end of the day when the traffic lessened. Ran a good fun pace, but had a pant-filling moment when an oncoming cruiser ran extremely wide on a right hand turn, and wasn't back in his lane completely in the following left turn (still on my side of the double yellow lines by a good 3 feet) by the time I came around a blind corner. Managed to avoid, but definitely shook me up.

We met an old fellow from Tennessee named Jacob.... he looked to be about 65-70 years old, and rode a 2014 CBR 1000. Man, he could ride! Randy gapped him, and I was following Jacob. Actually had to work a bit to stay on his tail. Was a very nice guy, chatted with him a bunch in-between runs.

Back to the house, supper, drinks and party games. Another great day.

Friday Review:
Today Randy mapped out a longer route for us on roads we've never been on.
Again, much like Wayah Road earlier in the week, the scenery was simply jaw dropping on some of the roads. Unfortunately, like Wayah Road, the pavement was in disrepair, was chip-tar or very low grade asphalt (the main tire tracks were packed firm, but inbetween them the surface was very loose, and tar/stones/miscellaneous crap were being thrown by the tires of the rider in front of you, so we really had to gap it out a bit.

Was super hot - 94 fahrenheit according to various signs (34.4 celcius). Regular stops for water or gatorade were necessary, as we were all sweating like crazy. Several of the towns had the most assinine street light patterns, that had us stuck at a dead stop for extended periods of time. My KTM was hitting 102c at times, kicking out ridiculous amounts of heat, which really didn't appeal to me very much at all.

Luckily, we managed to find the Notorious P.I.G. BBQ!!!! Still the best BBQ I have tasted by a long shot. The guy moved his trailer from the top of the Dragon at Deal's Gap to near a town called Sylva at an Exxon gas station.

Hey fellow K-W riders. http://www.gofundme.com/JESSIEANDFAMILY
I'm pleading to all you kind hearts, my friend and co-worker was t-boned on Victoria last week(as mentioned in previous post) The bike was mangled, aside from other cuts and bruises he had immediate surgery on a broken wrist and shattered knee. Unfortunately he does not have any short-term disability benefits and with his wife on Mat leave income is scarce for him and his family. We started a gofundme to help him get by.
Any and all donates help and are truly appreciated from the bottom of my heart. Even just passing it along is better than nothing.

Thanks ladies and gents,

Max

Saturday and Sunday Review:
Saturday was an easier day, as we knew there would be tons of police and severe congestion on most of the good roads.
So, Jacqueline and I hopped on the my trusty KTM early (well, 9 a.m.) and took a ride over to the Dragon. Most of the mist had cleared, so we still managed a decent pace, but absolutely nothing absurd, especially considering the aforementioned police presence.

Made it to Deal's Gap, asked guy on a ZX10 who just completed a run, and he confirmed there was 1 bike cop at the overlook with radar. Zipped down, and didn't see any at all. Took a few minute break, got some photos, and went back up, at a slightly more fun pace. Again, no police, and the cruiser-pirates at the Gap just looked like they were getting ready to head out en masse, so we timed it just perfectly.

I was rather shocked to see the amount of rubber boogers and rain sipe edge wear on my rear tire at the Gap - obviously my suspension isn't set up at all for 2-up. Had some boogers when riding solo (with Randy and Dan etc), but nothing like this.

Overall, the tires are about 50% done (literally down to half tread depth on the edges) after a week of riding - 1450 km.

Packed everything up, loaded the truck, went for an evening boat cruise on Fontana Lake - the captain, Karl, was great.

Sunday Review:
Up at 5 a.m. (ugh!), final house clean up, empty out the fridge, breakfast, and on the road at 6 a.m. Dropped the garbage in the dumpsters by Deal's Gap, and headed home. Everything was good, clear sailing. Lots of construction, but no real slow downs. Border crossing went smoothly, had to show paperwork for bike, and that was it. Made it home at 7:30 p.m., unloaded everything, and had a much needed shower (12.5 hours in a non air-conditioned truck in high temperatures is no fun at all).

Date: July 23rd
Time: 6:00pm Fueled up ready to ride
Meet Location: Tim Horton's @ Weber & Northfield
Length : 1.25-1.5 hrs
Pace: Medium w/ spirited sections
Route: Elora, maryhill

hockey tonight

Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 3, kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Tim Hortons at University/Bridge Intersection
Pace:
Medium, long weekend police
Duration:
~1.5 hours; Conestoga Lake Run

Hope to see you guys out there! :icon_smile:

See you there.

Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 1 (Saturday), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Pace:
Medium
Duration:
~3 hours; ride up to Hockley Valley

Last edited:
Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 1 (Saturday), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Pace:
Medium
Duration:
~3 hours; ride up to Hockley Valley

Sounds good... see you then.

Adjusted the suspension a bunch before the ride, set it to between full load and sport as I had Jacqueline on the back.
Made a huge difference on the ride - the bike was good before with passenger, and now it's simply great.
Ride was fun today indeed. Some good fun sections on that ride for sure!

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need another new tire before the season's out. Sigh. This one will hopefully last another month or so, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom