The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 212 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I'm in... pace will be, umm... lets say "good". Only the cool kids will show up to this.

Group Ride
Date: July 23.
Time: 10 a.m. till whenever
Pace: Whatever you make it
Fun Factor: Fully and completely mental.

Lots of notice. No excuses for no-shows.

We're back from the Dragon. What a trip!
Luckily, Nick, Dan & I left the cabin about 20-25 minutes before Randy, Saara and Steve did yesterday morning - it ended up making a 3.5 hour difference in travel time. We missed a couple jams that they got caught up in. Unloaded bikes in the crazy thunderstorm we had last night - no fun there.

The weather was decent, but the best days were the last 2 before coming home.
Made it to Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway to eat at the 12 Bones bbq restaurant - fantastic!
Notorious P.I.G. (at Killboy's shop at the top of the Dragon) smokes up some excellent brisket too.

The cabin we rented was beyond expectations. Fantastic stuff....
Except, I figured we should get perishables (i.e. unfrozen meat) into the fridge before anything else when we arrived... everyone else claimed a room when I was busy with that, so I ended up sleeping in the game room on a terrible couchy kind of thing. Oh well, live and learn I guess. ;-)

Decided my favourite road is the Cherohala Skyway. It's nothing but one sweeper after the next - not as tight as the dragon, but much more scenic and flowing.

Mounted a new year tire a week before the trip. Think I used up about 35-40% of tire life in the week down there - roads get really hot, tires get melty quick!

The crew ended up with:

1 bike dropped exiting lot (no damage)
1 crash (rider will be OK, bike is done - please don't ask as it isn't my place to divulge any other information...)
1 police warning
1 police ticket.

Last edited:
+1. Details please. You can't just post don't ask and expect no questions. This is now on you Tim, spill the beans.

No VFR or Daytona.
Was a crash, bike is done (FZ6r). I just figured I would leave it at that as it's not my place for divulge any other information. Just letting people know the overall trip report - hence the "don't ask".

1 ticket is not too bad. How was the police presence? I'm heading down on the 3rd.

During the week there weren't many police at all on the Dragon. Saw a couple of bike cops and one SUV (total) from Monday to Thursday. Saturday was a write off - had about 7 state troopers on the Dragon alone. Went to the Cherohala and saw none at all. There was a park ranger at one overlook on the first Sunday we got there, and that was it (don't recall seeing any on it on Saturday). Blue Ridge had 1 state trooper in 55-60 miles on Friday.

Tim got most of the details

- on the way down someone put a camper over a bridge and down a ravine (I can't even imagine how they did it), but they did. So that closed the I75 near Knoxville. Awesome.

- one of our guys received an unscheduled helicopter ride, so if you go make sure you have adequate health insurance

- someone rode naked down the gap, I'm not saying who.

- Almost lit a gas station on fire after pressure build up in a gas tank spewed half a tank of gas all over a hot bike. Amazing it didn't light on fire. (wasn't the VFR, not saying anything more)

- someone almost got ran over by a tropper (cop in an SUV pulling blindly into a roadway) on the Blue Ridge

- had a trailer tire fail - POS Carlisle tires

- on the way back there was a car crash on the I75N right at the bridge in Cincinnati, the only major way to get across the river. That was almost 2 hours, port huron border crossing was another hour, and some torrential rain on the way home. 17 hours to get home for us. Long day.

Oh...
And if you've got HID headlights, be wary of pheasants in the rain..
Had one in the middle of the oncoming lane. That was just standing there looking at me. I got closer, it sped up, so I slowed down, and it stopped again. I sped up, it sped up.. like it was timing the arrival of my headlights (Go to the light! Go to the Light!)...

I wasn't going to swerve much (ongoing rain made the roads pretty slick), as it appeared as though this stupid bird had a death wish. Luckily it's timing was a bit off. If I would have taken my left foot off the peg I would have punted it to the moon...

And no Steve, it wasn't me riding nearly naked... we tried to convince him to wear a "Borat" styled Mankini, but none were readily available, so he wore lime green spandex boxers instead.

You guys are terrible story tellers. You really make it sound like a great place to visit...

Hmmmm. Seems like a bunch of dudes getting drunk and wearing minimal clothing...... Ya I'm out.

Back
Top Bottom