The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 238 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I got the rest of the day off from work, gonna enjoy the rest of the day with a nice ride. Anyone else on here off today and wanna get out?

Lucky guy... stuck here in my department... no windows to the outside... :-(

Not a ride notice...
But anyone interested in concerts at all?
Maxwell's (the old Dooley's on University Ave.) has a few good shows coming up.
Headstones, July 9.
Die Mannequin, July 23.
Econoline Crush, August 13
Tea Party, September 12. ***

I'm really really interested in seeing the Tea Party again for the 24'th (?) time. They're playing the entire Edges of Twilight Album to start their set.

Anyone else interested in any of these shows? I'd go see any of them without second thoughts!

Yesterday around 5:00 pm a co-worker was t-boned on Victoria, leaving work, riding his GSXR-600. He's in hospital getting surgery for a broken leg and broken arm, was in stable condition. My thoughts are with him.
Just wanted to tell everyone to keep your heads up and your wits about you.

Yesterday around 5:00 pm a co-worker was t-boned on Victoria, leaving work, riding his GSXR-600. He's in hospital getting surgery for a broken leg and broken arm, was in stable condition. My thoughts are with him.
Just wanted to tell everyone to keep your heads up and your wits about you.

I heard about this from a friend who lives in that area. Said it looked pretty bad. Get well soon rider.

Smergy, Dan, myself and some other are down at the Tail of the Dragon right now...
Day #1 done... success for the most part!
Rode the Dragon for some BBQ, but unfortunately, it was closed.. ended up with burgers instead - they weren't bad, but when your heart is on good BBQ, well...
Rode back up, hit the Cherohala Skyway, and had an amazing time. Legs totally done by the time we got back to the house. Food, beer, and the obligatory hot tub in the evening.

Overall, a great day!

Glad to hear you guys are having fun :)
Any of you up for a group ride Thursday? I was thinking we could meet at 6:30 and hopefully we have a bunch of people come out

Day #2 complete, sort of success....
Headed out in the morning, and ended up racing the rain to Franklin. Apparently it started raining at the house less than 2 minutes after we had left. Couple of spatters of rain on the visor here and there, but we made it. The light on the Moonshiner 28 made it very hard to see in combination with my tinted visor. The light was flat due to the heavy clouds, and it was hard for me to read the road and stuff on it, so a slow down was in order. Pulled into the gas station in Franklin, finished filling up, and parked the bikes. And kaboom. Thunderstorm from Thor himself. Had lunch at Café Rel (as amazing as always), thought we had a gap in rain and started to head out. Started raining again, so we pulled into a lot with a building in final stages of construction and waited it out on the roofed porch.

Came back via Wyah Road... incredibly scenic, but the road surface was absolutely terrible, especially after the rain. The pavement was the chip-tar crap, and had tons of gouges and loose chunks here and there. No fault of the road, but the storm also knocked a bunch of small branches and debris on the the surface as well. Can't say I enjoyed myself very much there.

Made it back, more BBQ and booze. Fun was had by all. ;-)

Glad you guys are having a good time! I ran into a lot of deadfall from the rain down there too, mostly on the BRP. At one point I had a pack of 5 or 6 bikes about 100 yards behind me and they disappeared from sight shortly after I narrlowly dodged a thick branch sprawled across our lane. I waited for them for a few minutes at the next lookout point and eventually doubled back when they didn't show up. I have no idea who they were or where they went, and there was no debris suggesting that anyone fell. I took the time to clear the branch from the road as it was just waiting to ruin someones day.

Man, now I want to go back just for the BBQ.

galinburg today for the bbq, then hopefully notorious PIG in sylva off the 441 on friday (he used to have a truck at the top of the dragon, but opened a store since). Awesome food.

So who's up for a ride tomorrow at 6:30? Since it's also bike night at Royal, maybe we could meet at ~5 instead and go to royal after the ride? Not sure when you guys get off work

Yet another update from the infamous Dragon Trip of 2015.

All in all, the day went pretty well. No rain, a mixed bag of overcast/sun, so we can't complain.
Left a little later in the day, went to Gatlinburg. The 441 North of Cherokee is absolutely stunning. The scenery is almost unmatched - going up mountains, super rich foliage on the trees, big temperature changes as you go up the mountains too. The road is amazing, but the only real issue is that it was the equivalent of a traffic jam all the way up. We made it past a few groups of cars with "selective" passing, only to be held up by a large cruiser train.

At any rate, we made it to Gatlinburg, and had lunch at Calhoun's. The BBQ was pretty good, but their house sauce is exceptionally sweet. Go 'Murica. Dan and I added some tabasco chipotle sauce, which smoothed out the sweetness and made it taste really good. Took a stroll down the main drag, and all I can say is that it makes Clifton Hill in Niagara falls pale in comparison. Soooooo much kitschy crap.

Took Fighting Creek Road back towards the Foothills parkway through the Nantathala National Forest. Ran into extremely heavy traffic again though all the fun parts of the road, which was a major disappointment. It would be almost better than the 441 earlier in the day. Zipped up the Foothills Parkway to the US 129 about 15km short of the Dragon. Road up the Dragon, and made a ton of mental errors (couldn't sleep, up since 3 a.m. due to thunderstorms, and washed everyone's bike to pass the time) on the way up. Slowed it down, made it safe. Loaned my sweetheart, Artemis (KTM RC8r for anyone who doesn't know), to Smergy for about 35 minutes. He railed it down and back up the Dragon, and had a near perma-grin on his face when he made it back.

Back to the house, BBQ steak, some good company and drinks to cap the night. Everyone had a great day all in all.

Never made it to Notorious P.I.G.'s BBQ place.... It's a real shame it's not at Killboy's shop anymore! We're all greatly disappointed by that...

not yet anyways... hopefully friday, bit of a drive though

Back
Top Bottom