Which is the lightest 600cc motorcycle out there? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which is the lightest 600cc motorcycle out there?

KatanaRyder

I was searching up what 600cc motorcycle is the lightest in weight currently available out on the market?

So far I have only come up with the Honda CBR600RR, at about 372lbs (dry weight).

Question 1: Can anyone share whether if this is the lightest bike out there right now? If not which one is?

Question 2: My Katana = about 462lbs (dry weight), so does the difference of about a hundred pounds make a significant riding experience (pros &cons)in regards to manueverability, comfort, handling, speed etc.?

The real-world differences between any of the Japanese big four, are insignificant.

I was amazed last yr when Carrie weighed her 08 CBR600 streetbike with a half tank of fuel and Akra Carbon slip on muffler....394 lbs!

Suzukiis claiming to be even lighter this yr.

Question 1: Can anyone share whether if this is the lightest bike out there right now? If not which one is?

Question 1: Are you limiting it to SS bikes, because the naked bikes have that beat.

Some with more cc's.

I was searching up what 600cc motorcycle is the lightest in weight currently available out on the market?

So far I have only come up with the Honda CBR600RR, at about 372lbs (dry weight).

Question 2: My Katana = about 462lbs (dry weight), so does the difference of about a hundred pounds make a significant riding experience (pros &cons)in regards to manueverability, comfort, handling, speed etc.?

A modern 600 to the katana.......Night and day. The only con might be less stability but the improved handling, speed and manueverabilty will be significant.

20% ......I would think so!
Not tomention better suspension, brakes and geometry

After a cursory search:

2011 Ducati 848 Evo: 370 lbs (dry, according to Ducati website)
2011 Ducati Monster 696: 355 lbs (dry, according to Ducati website)
2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1099: 373 lbs (dry, according to Ducati website)
2010 Suzuki GSX-R600: 359 lbs (dry, according to Wikipedia)
07-08 Honda CBR600RR: 345 lbs (dry, according to Wikipedia)
2010 Kawi ZX-6R: 368 lbs (dry, according to Wikipedia)

Hope this helps...

Weight is a factor but, I'm tempted to say that the geometry and engineering would be even more important. Suspension, wheel base, fork angle, wheel and tire dimensions, even the stock tires used, engine placement, frame design, swing arm design etc. A heavy bike could be made to feel light and vice versa.

I'd check out some of the recent 600 comparos to get a better idea of the differences but, I wouldn't think the overall weight of any of the bikes would be the defining reason to pick one over another.

Any modern SS would be a pretty significant improvement to the Kat in terms of overall performance.

I know the 06 gsxr 600 was 354lbs, not sure about the newer ones since they increased the size of the can.

I do not trust the literature put out by any of the manufacturers.
Some call dry weight a bike with no fluids, no battery, and no tires.

As an example, my 05 GSXR1000 was supposed to weigh something like 370 lbs according to Suzuki.
Put half a tank of fuel in it, and top up all fluids, and real world it weighs almost 435 lbs.

Thanks everyone, your posts definitely helped. I will definitely be looking at going to some demo days and trying out lighter bikes, my Katana does have stability, but I feel sometimes that it is a "beast" of a motorcycle.

I do not trust the literature put out by any of the manufacturers.
Some call dry weight a bike with no fluids, no battery, and no tires.

As an example, my 05 GSXR1000 was supposed to weigh something like 370 lbs according to Suzuki.
Put half a tank of fuel in it, and top up all fluids, and real world it weighs almost 435 lbs.

....but thats what Dry weight means......is says right in the manual that it excludes all fluides for the bike.

A modern 600 to the katana.......Night and day. The only con might be less stability but the improved handling, speed and manueverabilty will be significant.

This is the biggest difference ........ apples and oranges ;-)

....but thats what Dry weight means......is says right in the manual that it excludes all fluides for the bike.

Dry weight in the magazines is without fuel, but includes the other fluids, so there is some confusion. Some manufacturers are now posting wet weights.

Don't leave the choice to just 600's.An NCR Legerra will come off the scales at 328.A bit pricey tho.
04.jpg

Or if SS is the only option,how about the M16 at 320lbs.
02.jpg

Last edited:
I was amazed last yr when Carrie weighed her 08 CBR600 streetbike with a half tank of fuel and Akra Carbon slip on muffler....394 lbs!

Suzukiis claiming to be even lighter this yr.

Dave's gsxr1000 (2002?) was only 412 with a full tank.

Most of the current SS bikes are within a few pounds of one another. Go for the one that feels best for you. I bought the Triumph because it felt right. Definitely narrower than the rest of the pack and feels very light while riding it.

And for what it's worth, comfort and day to day usability may be more important that how much the bike weighs.

Back
Top Bottom