there was SOME stuff that was cool in the 80's | GTAMotorcycle.com

there was SOME stuff that was cool in the 80's

When I read the title, I thought this thread was about me :)

Those bikes are pretty cool too, I guess.

Love that era of racing. I was at many of the races and got to see some amazing bikes and some amazing characters. It really was a golden era.

I did Michelin tire support at Topeka with Brutune in '80-sumthin. I remember Ray Plumb sitting me down for like 10 mins explaining why I needed to be extra careful with Freddie Spencer's wheels. I've never felt a front wheel + rotor so light and I didn't leave a mark on those wheels (nearly impossible with painted magnesium).

Bikes are still racing, characters are even more _______ ! lol When you consider that they could be racing modern bikes! Great people at the VRRA!

EdKopeschny.jpg

PRobbins.jpg

821.jpg

TimsKatana-1.jpg

LakesEx500-2.jpg

Donsreal900ss-1.jpg

PRobbinsDuc-1.jpg

JonesRGV-1.jpg

ToddRuston-1.jpg

6S-Mosport202010-BM-Monk1.jpg

Late 80's early 90's is when I got interested in sportbikes....and racing as the catalyst, or rather watching racing was.

Still to this day, the older sportbikes are the ones that make me smile.

Late 80's early 90's is when I got interested in sportbikes....and racing as the catalyst, or rather watching racing was.

Still to this day, the older sportbikes are the ones that make me smile.

Same here. I'd love to throw a leg over some modern machinery on a racetrack someday, but I doubt I'll ever give up racing a bike from that era.

Bikes like this Gamma 500 was and still are the sexiest bikes ever made, IMO. I would trade in my modern/ semi modern machinery for one of these in a heartbeat.

JonesRGV-1.jpg

I remember looking at the Gamma back in 85. I had 3 bikes I was interested in buying. The Gamma, GSXR and Yamaha's FZ750. They were all around $5500 or so. I settled on the FZ750, although it was a heavy beast it was more stable and street friendly.

Found this:

8338621_org.jpg

I'm suprised nobody commented in one of the photo's.

2d.jpg

That is Glen from Brutune working on Rick Tripodi's 1990 TZ250. A bike that I knew very well.
Glen was the best tuner that I ever knew. What ever happened to him. I lost touch with him when Brutune closed.

Last edited:
I could have bought a Walter Wolf Gamma brand new from Inglis Cycle for $3600. It sat for over a year in the back shop because nobody wanted it at the time. Everyone wanted the blue a white. If I only knew... I found one in the states 2 months ago...poor shape and he want $9500usd.

Back
Top Bottom