Why are Ontario's HOV lane rules different? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why are Ontario's HOV lane rules different?

By that logic, we should make it such that nobody can change lanes except at special, designated spots. Imagine the clusterfcuk that would cause (those designated merge zones area already a nightmare, especially if you're stuck behind some idiot Corolla doing 20 under the limit, as they all do). Bad idea. Remove HOV lanes. Obliterate them. Preferably from orbit via nuclear bombardment. It's the only way to be sure.

It's a fact, there'll be less changes in and from HOV lanes as the cars meeting the criteria is lower, making it safer for its users. Also normally there are only specific entry and exit points making it even safer during the "in between segments" of non-lane change.

If you want safer, maybe you should be in a Volvo. With a passenger. In the HOV lane.

If you want safer, maybe you should be in a Volvo. With a passenger. In the HOV lane.
Yeah and while we're at it, **** helmets and **** gear, motorcycles are dangerous anyways so let's make sure there's no measures at all to increase the odds of the motorcyclists. (viper's having a good influence on me)

and btw @viper, nuclear bombardment is a good idea. It would definitely widen the roads to add more lanes ya know.

Cause we need more of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjkkjH0GnfY

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo, wider roads and more lanes are exactly what's needed, actually. What's this about me influencing you to forgo helmets and safety gear? I'm only suggesting viable methods to make getting around great again, I never said anything about safety gear or Volvos.

In non-satirical response to the Family Guy clip, whether Asian Driver in a Corolla does that across one lane or 8 lanes makes no real difference. Also, we direly need better driver training and a higher failure rate of licensing during testing. It's time to take an evolutionary biology approach to driver fitness. Also, don't get me started on people with fake licenses, the stories my friend who works at customs tells me of people flying over from China with blank Ontario licenses would probably amaze you.

Wider roads and more lanes are effectively impossible to implement, in most areas needing them. You would have to start knocking down homes and businesses in order to add them.

What is needed, is something the Province screwed the pooch on precisely by just adding more lanes; mass transit that follows the major highways. They should have put commuter trains in the medians, instead of paving them for more cars.

There is still some room on the sides of most of the 400-series highways for widening. The land was purchased with this in mind, originally. If you claim we're out of 2-dimensional surface space (I agree, 2-dimensional surface space is limited), expand to three dimensions. Highways *are* mass transit. If you want trains, bury them and call them subways.

That Allen road needs to be connected underground to the QEW as originally planned, too. Or better yet, connect it to where the 427 meets the QEW, and connect another line underground from the downtown core area to where the 401 meets the 427 -- drawing an X across Toronto. Any other solution is going to simply be a giant waste of time, and ineffective.

If all of this sounds "too expensive", then perhaps you shouldn't be paying people $30/hour+ to dig a hole with shovels. There are tons of people who would be happy to work for much less than this. There are far more people than there are jobs, on this planet, and labor can be imported as it once was, for infrastructural projects such as building transnational railroads. China would have it done overnight with human power, but Ontarians MUST bow to their unions for extortion payments, and nothing ends up being done, or is vastly overpriced when it is done.

People don't actually want solutions, they only want to complain about their situations. This is evidenced by how little is ever accomplished, when viable solutions like mine are available to them. I've suggested this numerous times on other threads, of course to ears that are either deaf, or arms that are incapable of implementation.

I'm out for now.

There is still some room on the sides of most of the 400-series highways for widening. The land was purchased with this in mind, originally. If you claim we're out of 2-dimensional surface space (I agree, 2-dimensional surface space is limited), expand to three dimensions. Highways *are* mass transit. If you want trains, bury them and call them subways.

That Allen road needs to be connected underground to the QEW as originally planned, too. Or better yet, connect it to where the 427 meets the QEW, and connect another line underground from the downtown core area to where the 401 meets the 427 -- drawing an X across Toronto. Any other solution is going to simply be a giant waste of time, and ineffective.

If all of this sounds "too expensive", then perhaps you shouldn't be paying people $30/hour+ to dig a hole with shovels. There are tons of people who would be happy to work for much less than this. There are far more people than there are jobs, on this planet, and labor can be imported as it once was, for infrastructural projects such as building transnational railroads. China would have it done overnight with human power, but Ontarians MUST bow to their unions for extortion payments, and nothing ends up being done, or is vastly overpriced when it is done.

People don't actually want solutions, they only want to complain about their situations. This is evidenced by how little is ever accomplished, when viable solutions like mine are available to them. I've suggested this numerous times on other threads, of course to ears that are either deaf, or arms that are incapable of implementation.

I'm out for now.

The many areas like that in the image make the further expansion of many highways impossible short of, as I said, acquiring and destroying existing structures.

Highways patently ARE NOT mass transit. They move a lot of people, in their individual vehicles. That's not mass transit. Trains, along the natural movement paths of existing highways, would have been both economical and efficient at moving very large numbers of passengers. New York does this on a daily basis. Subways are far more expensive to build and are a far more lengthy project but, as I said, the time for them was missed. Also you don't exactly dig a subway tunnel with a shovel. Very few shovels are used on such a project, as it takes multi-million dollar digging equipment to efficiently dig a modern subway tunnel.

Want to know how screwy things get on a dig? Read up on how Seattle is burying their "Gardner Expressway", the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Hopefully the whole thing doesn't collapse from the dig, which seems to have been a very real concern this week.

Last edited:
I know, about highways vs actual mass transit, it was illustrative. Also, I'm aware of TBMs. But as you said, TBMs cost gazillions, and the reply was about saving costs. I'd prefer usage of TBMs, myself, for getting it done some time this century.

The many areas like that in the image make the further expansion of many highways impossible short of, as I said, acquiring and destroying existing structures.

Highways patently ARE NOT mass transit. They move a lot of people, in their individual vehicles. That's not mass transit. Trains, along the natural movement paths of existing highways, would have been both economical and efficient at moving very large numbers of passengers. New York does this on a daily basis. Subways are far more expensive to build and are a far more lengthy project but, as I said, the time for them was missed. Also you don't exactly dig a subway tunnel with a shovel. Very few shovels are used on such a project, as it takes multi-million dollar digging equipment to efficiently dig a modern subway tunnel.

Want to know how screwy things get on a dig? Read up on how Seattle is burying their "Gardner Expressway", the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Hopefully the whole thing doesn't collapse from the dig, which seems to have been a very real concern this week.
I believe Boston did the same thing years ago with great success.

It's not anti-motorcycle rhetoric to point out the flaws in YOUR rhetoric.

Interestingly, I had not posted on this subject until that moment; so... my rhetoric is what exactly? Simple observation, nothing more

Or with all the automated cars that are gonna swoop in in the near future, we'll probably see a more efficient commute happening.

More prediction of the optimal speed to get things done smoothly. Cars "talking" to each other and sharing that data to make it all better.

Cause lets be real here, stricter driver training is great, but the masses are getting dumber and less functional and less engaged into driving.

So yeah maybe you're idea of "graded" licensing could mean in the future that if you're not good enough, you can only drive an automated car, but if you are good enough you can do your test on a yearly basis to prove you are a good driver that deserves the privilege controlling your own car.

Then maybe that would warrant having different lane systems lol (see, i sneaked it back in here)

I believe Boston did the same thing years ago with great success.

"The Big Dig." It went hugely over budget. A quick check shows that it was budgeted at $2.8B and ultimately cost $14.6B. Sounds like a Toronto budget.

In Seattle the people voted against the dig. They went ahead with it anyway.

"The Big Dig." It went hugely over budget. A quick check shows that it was budgeted at $2.8B and ultimately cost $14.6B. Sounds like a Toronto budget.

In Seattle the people voted against the dig. They went ahead with it anyway.

haha.. fair enough; but what public works project ever hits the mark on budget ;)

Back
Top Bottom