Working out! Fitness! Nutrition! | Page 87 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Working out! Fitness! Nutrition!

Sometimes it’s just about eating the right foods...and eliminating the wrong foods. Wife and I just finished Day 3 of Whole30. Will let you know how it works out.

Depends of course on your goals but a lot of people (myself included) can't or won't stick to stuff where we can't enjoy what we're eating. I enjoy deep fried stuff, sweets, etc, Calorie counting lets me enjoy them daily if i wish. For me this was the difference between trying this for a few weeks or a month and sticking to it for over 3 months.

Last edited:
Certain foods are not agreeing with me so I’m hoping Whole30 will help to figure that out. If it also opens my eyes to some foods I ordinarily wouldn’t eat, then it’s a worthwhile exercise.

Certain foods are not agreeing with me so I’m hoping Whole30 will help to figure that out. If it also opens my eyes to some foods I ordinarily wouldn’t eat, then it’s a worthwhile exercise.

May i suggest researching a blood type specific diet then. I told a few co-workers about this and their sensitive stomach/health problems vanished.

May i suggest researching a blood type specific diet then. I told a few co-workers about this and their sensitive stomach/health problems vanished.
My BIL did this. Huge improvements in health and weight. Was about $1000 though and an 8 month waiting list for who he used.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

My BIL did this. Huge improvements in health and weight. Was about $1000 though and an 8 month waiting list for who he used.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Err? You can get the info for free...just make your own meals.

But yeah, i've heard only good things. I'm blood type A and it says we apparently have the most sensitive stomachs and should cut out meat, not gonna happen :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind pending the Whole30 outcome. I am already seeing some positive results from not eating any breads/grains, dairy and sugar.

For me gym and counting calories is the way to go, I lost a bunch of weight a couple of years ago and have mostly kept it off (gained a bit back over xmas). The biggest thing it does is makes you really realise what you are eating... is that plate of fries really worth a days calories?
For reference, I'm 5'10" generally active my target calories is 1620/day right now to lean down post xmas. Usually I target around 2000 cals to maintain, more if I'm running.

Cheers

I went from 217.6 to 194.6 over the course of 2.5 months. Zero exercise, all diet and calorie counting. Target is 1500 calories a day, sometimes I have less, sometimes I have a bit more but I don't go overboard. Unless it's a cheat day, then I go way overboard.

I've plateaued a bit over the past couple of weeks. Getting rid of my gym membership and putting together a small home gym with the essentials to see better results.

Holy I checked out my calorie calculator and I've been eating over 3000 a day. Its mainly clean food and it's bulking season so I don't really care. But it's saying I gotta drop it down to 2100 if I wanna lose 2 lbs per week

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Holy I checked out my calorie calculator and I've been eating over 3000 a day. Its mainly clean food and it's bulking season so I don't really care. But it's saying I gotta drop it down to 2100 if I wanna lose 2 lbs per week

2100 if you work out sounds about right.

Started my cutting season early with a nice stomach flu that made me drop 8 pounds in two days. I've only had about 2000 calories in 3 days.

Amazing how these things can set you back.

What do you guys use for your calorie counts? I'm 5'7 and about 170lbs +/- a few pounds and am having a ***** of a time losing the gut (38m). Not doing any cardio but working out with weights around the house. I think the diet is the hardest part, and I love food...

What should I target for my daily calorie count? Only thing I want to target is the gut, but I know I can't target just one part of the body...

Also, how do you deal with non-typical foods...i.e. Polish / ethnic foods which don't really have a specific calorie count (think home made foods)?

What do you guys use for your calorie counts? I'm 5'7 and about 170lbs +/- a few pounds and am having a ***** of a time losing the gut (38m). Not doing any cardio but working out with weights around the house. I think the diet is the hardest part, and I love food...

What should I target for my daily calorie count? Only thing I want to target is the gut, but I know I can't target just one part of the body...

Also, how do you deal with non-typical foods...i.e. Polish / ethnic foods which don't really have a specific calorie count (think home made foods)?

Everyone is different but in my experience you don't necessarily have to diet to see results. As i said earlier i would not be able to maintain a strict diet because i love to indulge on a whim. You just need to be honest with yourself about how what you choose to eat will impact your overall intake for the day. I.e. if you`re holding yourself to 1600cals a day, that 400cal apple fritter is 1/4 of your allowance.

There's a few online calculators but i think 1600cals is a good place to start, should not be difficult to maintain. 1400 is a little more hardcore and you'll see better results faster. Yes, as you said you have no control over where you gain/lose the weight. If you want to target specific parts of the body you need to incorporate exercises. Gut can be difficult, i suggest following 'core body' exercises.

If you`re not preparing your own meals, keeping a count can be difficult. Perhaps consider switching to more typical foods to help you start off. As i said in a previous post, if you can start with a really small breakfast you set yourself up for success. 100cal yogurt (activa/danon/etc) cup until lunch/snack is a serious win. I didn't think i could survive at work on that, but after 3 days of complaining my body got used to it.

I can't stress portion control enough. As a rule no food group should exceed what you can hold in your hand. No meals or snacking after 8pm, 7 if you can make it work. Anytime you get the urge, go get another glass of water.

For calorie counting try MyFitnessPal, it's one of the best app's out there.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

For the first 3 weeks eat normally. Record everything that goes into your mouth. If you have a kitchen scale that's the best, if not estimate as best as you can (you get better at it with practice). Using the weight of the food consumed, look up the calories on the internet. I keep a file on my smartphone. Every time I eat, I write down the estimated weight, what it is (don't forget drinks, most people can lose weight simply by cutting out high calorie drinks) and how many calories are in it. Total your calories daily. Find out what your average calorie/day intake is over the 3 week trial period (total daily calories/21 days). This is your starting point.

Every Monday morning, step on the scale and record your weight after taking your morning piss. Don't step on the scale at all during the rest of the week. Record the weight

If you want to lose weight, subtract 100 calories from your 3 week average calories/day. Make sure you don't eat more calories than this per day. Check the scale after 1 week. If your weight went down continue at this level. If your weight went up or stayed the same, subtract another 100 calories per day.

Continue until you reach your goal.

So for instance if your average calories/day during the trial period was 3500 calories/day, you would start by eating no more than 3400 calories/day for the first week. If your weight stayed the same, you would drop to 3300 calories/day. If your weight dropped, you would continue eating 3400 calories/day for the next week.

I've used this technique to cut and bulk as needed over the years. I've gone from 245 down to 195, back up to 255 and down to a very fit 230 (I'm 6'5"). I bulk in the fall/winter to maximize strength and I usually cut 10% of my body weight in the spring to look good.

The reason it works is that you make changes slowly (+/- 100 calories/week). You don't shock your system or mess up your hormone balance. I can comfortably change my weight to whatever I want it to be and honestly it doesn't feel like a chore if you do it slowly. Getting used to dropping 1000 calories/day slowly over time is easy. Suddenly dropping 1000 calories/day from one week to the next is not sustainable.

I find a lot of comfort in that it is just a math equation, just be honest about what you record calorie wise.

MyFitnessPal is definitely the way to go if you have a smartphone... if it has a barcode you can scan it and it will almost always be in the app, for other things you can usually search and find something close.

For the first 3 weeks eat normally. Record everything that goes into your mouth. If you have a kitchen scale that's the best, if not estimate as best as you can (you get better at it with practice). Using the weight of the food consumed, look up the calories on the internet. I keep a file on my smartphone. Every time I eat, I write down the estimated weight, what it is (don't forget drinks, most people can lose weight simply by cutting out high calorie drinks) and how many calories are in it. Total your calories daily. Find out what your average calorie/day intake is over the 3 week trial period (total daily calories/21 days). This is your starting point.

Every Monday morning, step on the scale and record your weight after taking your morning piss. Don't step on the scale at all during the rest of the week. Record the weight

If you want to lose weight, subtract 100 calories from your 3 week average calories/day. Make sure you don't eat more calories than this per day. Check the scale after 1 week. If your weight went down continue at this level. If your weight went up or stayed the same, subtract another 100 calories per day.

Continue until you reach your goal.

So for instance if your average calories/day during the trial period was 3500 calories/day, you would start by eating no more than 3400 calories/day for the first week. If your weight stayed the same, you would drop to 3300 calories/day. If your weight dropped, you would continue eating 3400 calories/day for the next week.

I've used this technique to cut and bulk as needed over the years. I've gone from 245 down to 195, back up to 255 and down to a very fit 230 (I'm 6'5"). I bulk in the fall/winter to maximize strength and I usually cut 10% of my body weight in the spring to look good.

The reason it works is that you make changes slowly (+/- 100 calories/week). You don't shock your system or mess up your hormone balance. I can comfortably change my weight to whatever I want it to be and honestly it doesn't feel like a chore if you do it slowly. Getting used to dropping 1000 calories/day slowly over time is easy. Suddenly dropping 1000 calories/day from one week to the next is not sustainable.

I find a lot of comfort in that it is just a math equation, just be honest about what you record calorie wise.

Wow thanks for the detailed post! Really appreciate it.

Thanks guys, my biggest issue is that we have a lot of home made food (delicious btw!) so for me it's tough finding the actual food inside of the app...I'm sure with enough digging it's doable, and I guess if i weigh it regularly it should help!

Those potato dumplings....500 calories :( Now to figure out my quiche tomorrow....ugh....

Wow thanks for the detailed post! Really appreciate it. Thanks guys, my biggest issue is that we have a lot of home made food (delicious btw!) so for me it's tough finding the actual food inside of the app...I'm sure with enough digging it's doable, and I guess if i weigh it regularly it should help! Those potato dumplings....500 calories :( Now to figure out my quiche tomorrow....ugh....
Ah yes, good ol' Kartoffelpuffers.

Wow thanks for the detailed post! Really appreciate it.

Thanks guys, my biggest issue is that we have a lot of home made food (delicious btw!) so for me it's tough finding the actual food inside of the app...I'm sure with enough digging it's doable, and I guess if i weigh it regularly it should help!

Those potato dumplings....500 calories :( Now to figure out my quiche tomorrow....ugh....
Honestly, homemade food ironically puts you ahead.

Processed foods aren't the devil, but they're not as "good" as real, whole, foods cooked at home.

A lot of the stuff bought or cooked in other establishments have sodium levels through the roof, or preservatives that gunk up your gut, etc etc.

Also what's great with going the way Plant_W explained is, you get a better sense of what you're eating without having to necessarily weigh EVERYTHING after a certain amount of time. You can approximate easier in you mind and when you log it, usually it will come close to your estimate.

Back
Top Bottom