Motorcycle Camping | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Camping

interested injoing possibly.. but I am only seeking Ontario trips since I don't wanna go on long trips

I got over two decades out of my Crappy tire dome tent. It worked great on a number of week long motorcycle camping trips. I now have a new one (garage sale special if memory serves) I expect it will be around for years to come.

Is it a great tent? Probably not. Will it do just fine for a week long MC trip? It will for me.

I love this thread! I've got my first bike camping trip this weekend and have read this thing a few times already! Thanks for all the tips / links guys I've used a lot of them in the setup. Here is my bike setup for the weekend...well for some reason it doesn't want to upload, I'll post it in the ride report when I return!

In my case, it's not camping, it's tenting. No food preparation here.

I'm no expert, but I went with the Asolo Astro 3, available at Sail. Billed as a three man, it'd be comfortable for two, and there was a ton of room for just me and all my crap. Didn't encounter any night time rain, so can't comment on wet weather performance.

P8010238_zpse3852311.jpg~original

Here's my bike all loaded:

P8010246_zps95081668.jpg~original

The list of gear includes a Cortech Super 18 magnetic tank bag, Gears Navigator 50L tail bag, and a Seal Line 40L Black Canyon dry bag which contained the tent, a sleeping bag, thermarest, a pair of shoes, and a towel, and still had extra space left over. The tail bag held a week's worth of clothes.

The whole thing was tied down with two ROK Straps, the best strap available; don't leave home without 'em. Rain gear was stapped to the outside with a cargo net, for quick and easy access.

We rode through some rain, including a torrential downpour in the Adirondacks, but the rain covers worked well on the tank and tail bags, and of course, everything remained dry in the dry bag. It's still a good idea to pack clothing in Ziploc bags, though. Speaking of Ziploc bags, I found them to have fragile zippers that failed after a few days. Does anyone know of a more robust alternative?

Valuable thread; thanks to all who have contributed.
icon14.png

Last edited:
I have the same tent and love it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Bump

How many of you, if any, use a camping hammock?

By the millions of positive reviews, campers claim hammocks are better than tents for comfort -- aside from the cold back/***.

I'm considering getting a hennessy... I don't go anywhere without trees. I have cases to lock my gear.

I've been looking at them, can be pretty pricey. I'm pretty sure Alon mentioned that he uses one.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Bump

How many of you, if any, use a camping hammock?

By the millions of positive reviews, campers claim hammocks are better than tents for comfort -- aside from the cold back/***.

I'm considering getting a hennessy... I don't go anywhere without trees. I have cases to lock my gear.

I don't anymore, as I'm not quite hammock-sized these days, but I spent years camping with hammocks. A surprisingly large percentage of my friends that camp do so with Hennessy hammocks, and they all LOVE them.

I believe they all also use thermarests to help with the cold back.

Considering how small they can pack up, they'd be a fantastic option for motorcycle camping.

If riding alone, camping, no schedule, in the US or Canada, .......... just wing it and don't book ahead.

In general, I agree with this. However, if you're hitting a popular park like the Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island, you may want to plan ahead. I've been there twice, and twice it was full. They even reserve spaces for motorcyclists, and even those were in use by time I rolled in. I've experienced that a handful of times with campgrounds while riding across the TransCanada in the summer.

[/COLOR]In general, I agree with this. However, if you're hitting a popular park like the Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island, you may want to plan ahead. I've been there twice, and twice it was full. They even reserve spaces for motorcyclists, and even those were in use by time I rolled in. I've experienced that a handful of times with campgrounds while riding across the TransCanada in the summer.
Especially on the weekends, even a lot of the KOA campsites are full.

nothing else here matters, tell me about that coffee machine. Its like art.[/QUOTE]

It was a gift from someone special!
It is a "vintage Inox" beauty and worth the extra weight when camping because it can make nearly a cup of espresso (8 fl ounces) per batch.
It is made in Italy and camping doesn't happen without it or without fresh grinds :)

nothing else here matters, tell me about that coffee machine. Its like art.[/QUOTE]

It was a gift from someone special!
It is a "vintage Inox" beauty and worth the extra weight when camping because it can make nearly a cup of espresso (8 fl ounces) per batch.
It is made in Italy and camping doesn't happen without it or without fresh grinds :)

were was the first pic taken? what camp ground

Back
Top Bottom