Motorcycle Camping | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Camping

irenictiger

Hey all!

I'm looking to try motorcycle camping this coming season and just wondering if anyone has already gone and can suggest some motorcycle friendly campsites. Also please feel free to comment with your stories/experiences!

Thanks!

I'm looking to try motorcycle camping this coming season and just wondering if anyone has already gone and can suggest some motorcycle friendly campsites.

It would help if you could give an idea as to where you want to go camping, how long you intend to stay out, what kind of bike you have and how much luggage space it has, is anyone else coming with you, etc. I've done many motorcycle camping trips over the years, from Vancouver Island to the Cabot Trail, so I could offer up some tips and pointers once I've a better idea what you intend to do and where you want to go.

I've done a fair bit of motorcycle camping, and I can't think of a single place that I've been, either that I've stumbled across or reserved, that wasn't motorcycle friendly.

All Ontario Provincial Parks are friendly. Just be considerate of your neighbours if you're leaving first thing in the morning.

I've been to a bunch of Ontario Parks, I've camped in random spots across Canada on a Toronto - BC trip years ago, I've camped in Colorado, Utah, Nebraska...

It'll take some time for you to figure your gear out. Go for the smallest, highest quality stuff you can afford. Weight is less of an issue than size. Practice putting up your tent and taking it down. Make some decisions around cooking, and practice using your camping stove. Have a plan for water - bring a collapsable container with you so that you have enough to eat, drink and clean up with. Have a well stocked mess kit, if you're going to cook.

Wine / liquor takes up less space than beer. Stop a little earlier in the day to make sure you set up your site in the daylight and have time to unload and make a run to a store if you can find one for supplies. Transporting firewood from the office to your site can be a pain in the ***, but I've used tie-downs and a comical amount of luck to my advantage.

Know your environment. If you camp in bear country, don't be surprised if they show up, and be prepared (ie keep a clean, bearproofed site). If you camp around lots of younger folks, be prepared for the drinking and the noise. In my experience it's easier to join them than it is to fight it.

I've done a fair bit of motorcycle camping, and I can't think of a single place that I've been, either that I've stumbled across or reserved, that wasn't motorcycle friendly.

Actually, I've come across more than a few in my travels. There's one just outside of Collingwood, for example, that has a large "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign posted above the entranceway. I've learned to phone ahead and book campsites in advance, it saves a lot of potential hassles that way.

Shannonville2009010.jpg

Shannonville2009013.jpg

And this is worth a read ... (and look at the linked photos of the prepped bike)

http://www.hondacbr125r.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6141

Actually, I've come across more than a few in my travels. There's one just outside of Collingwood, for example, that has a large "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign posted above the entranceway. I've learned to phone ahead and book campsites in advance, it saves a lot of potential hassles that way.

Huh - I guess I've been lucky...

Sometimes when I am down in the mountains, I will camp wherever I see fit. Edge of a field, in a churchyard (weekdays only), on a soccer field or grassy area at a community centre (small communities or countryside only). Sooner or later you will need a real campground with showers etc, though. It gets tough to deal with your stink after a couple days of riding,LOL

It would help if you could give an idea as to where you want to go camping, how long you intend to stay out, what kind of bike you have and how much luggage space it has, is anyone else coming with you, etc. I've done many motorcycle camping trips over the years, from Vancouver Island to the Cabot Trail, so I could offer up some tips and pointers once I've a better idea what you intend to do and where you want to go.

Since it'll be my first time camping with my bike, I probably won't venture too far out just yet. Maybe an hour or two outside of Toronto to start. I'm riding a Katana 600, no luggage yet but planning to buy saddle bags and maybe a tail bag/cargo net/tank bag and I'll have a 40-60L travel backpack. I'll also probably be going solo my first time out.

You can see on my little bike, that if you travel light, you can get pretty far with just a magnetic tank bag and a bunch of bungee cords, provided that you are smart about the type of tent and air mattress that you have. Obviously, the more capacity you have, the more stuff you can carry to live in some semblance of comfort. I've since bought a Givi top box that dwarfs the bike :)

You can see on my little bike, that if you travel light, you can get pretty far with just a magnetic tank bag and a bunch of bungee cords, provided that you are smart about the type of tent and air mattress that you have. Obviously, the more capacity you have, the more stuff you can carry to live in some semblance of comfort. I've since bought a Givi top box that dwarfs the bike :)

yeah i notice from the pics that you load ur rear luggage wide...does it affect handling at all? i've been checking on some other sites and they suggest buying a two person tent but i'm wondering if that would best be tied down with bungee cords or stored inside my backpack? also, how long do you go camping for with the amount of luggage you have?

Sometimes when I am down in the mountains, I will camp wherever I see fit. Edge of a field, in a churchyard (weekdays only), on a soccer field or grassy area at a community centre (small communities or countryside only). Sooner or later you will need a real campground with showers etc, though. It gets tough to deal with your stink after a couple days of riding,LOL

do you have to get permission to camp in church yards or community centre fields?

do you have to get permission to camp in church yards or community centre fields?

I have never had a bad experience yet doing it. Most christians I have found to be very welcoming. I have found that if I bump into anyone while packing up in a churchyard, they are more than anxious to hear where I have been, and where I am going. They always send me off with nothing but well wishes, and good advice. I have even had people in a small towns suggest the community centre to me as I was stopped asking for a nearby place to camp when I was riding in West Virginia. Laying in my tent , in a soccer field of a community centre, about 10 pm on a Wed night in AUg, en route to Indy fot the MotoGP, watching The Hangover on my laptop, and the sherriff brought me a coffee,LOL

Since it'll be my first time camping with my bike, I probably won't venture too far out just yet. Maybe an hour or two outside of Toronto to start. I'm riding a Katana 600, no luggage yet but planning to buy saddle bags and maybe a tail bag/cargo net/tank bag and I'll have a 40-60L travel backpack. I'll also probably be going solo my first time out.
Check out this site if you want to buy an amazing luggage set up for your bike. I took a trip to the Adirondacks and carried all my things on my CBR and all my wifes things so that she didn't have to carry anything on her bike. The luggage system is attached to a frame which is bolted to the frame of your bike, you won't even know you have luggage when your riding (nothing touches the bikes as it is supported on the frame). I think in total I had 91 liters of luggage space.
http://www.ventura-bike.com/default.aspx
Adirondack trip 027.jpg

Last edited:
I have never had a bad experience yet doing it. Most christians I have found to be very welcoming. I have found that if I bump into anyone while packing up in a churchyard, they are more than anxious to hear where I have been, and where I am going. They always send me off with nothing but well wishes, and good advice. I have even had people in a small towns suggest the community centre to me as I was stopped asking for a nearby place to camp when I was riding in West Virginia. Laying in my tent , in a soccer field of a community centre, about 10 pm on a Wed night in AUg, en route to Indy fot the MotoGP, watching The Hangover on my laptop, and the sherriff brought me a coffee,LOL

In the US perhaps possible. In Canada I would find this hard to beleive you would get away with this. In Canada the well wishes would be a boot to the *** and a call to the police.

If you're really worried get a gps and at 1800 each night hit "Points of Interest" and look for campground. That will give you three hours to ride before you lose your light.

If you're really worried get a gps and at 1800 each night hit "Points of Interest" and look for campground. That will give you three hours to ride before you lose your light.

And if you're riding north of the line connecting Midland through Barrie through Peterborough through Ottawa on the map, there is plenty of Crown Land where you can legally camp on for free for up to 21 days in any given spot, including places with river and lake access.

You just need to preplan your trip a bit so you know where those Crown lands are. You'll also need to bring your own toilet paper and soap, and make provision for either having your own bottled water or be able to tablet purify or boil local creek and river water.

There's a lot of nice easily motorcycle-accessible Crown Land with good camping and good scenic views up there.
Camping on Crown Land http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CrownLand/2ColumSubPage/STEL02_170045.html
Crown Land Atlas http://www.lio.ontario.ca/imf-ows/imf.jsp?site=clupa_en
Free Camping in Ontario (ad for guide) http://www.adoos.ca/post/5147414/free_camping_in_ontario

Last edited:
I am thinking of camping on my East Coast trip this summer. I will keep an eye on this thread

Shannonville2009010.jpg

Shannonville2009013.jpg

And this is worth a read ... (and look at the linked photos of the prepped bike)

http://www.hondacbr125r.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6141

I'm sorely tempted to get a mini-cibbers for a commuter, especially if you tour around on one. I snagged a test ride when Honda first offered them and was pleasantly surprised. Even thought it had obviously been beaten up (slipping clutch, broken mirror and God knows what else), it worked pretty well.

It is also worth paying a visit to Mountain Coop to get some good quality gear. It will be a bit more expensive than your Walmart grade, but it is all worth the $. I went portaging for 10 days last summer and the high quality gear really made a difference: much much smaller and lighter sleeping bag and pad, foldable water bottles, pocket size camp stove, waterproof maps (what if the GPS breaks down, gets wet, etc...), rain suit, waterproof matches.

Back
Top Bottom