Why Android is better than iPhone. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why Android is better than iPhone.

You're talkin' about a handset that doesn't function well as a phone in the first place.. Then the Almighty Jobs (blessed be His name) decided to do away with external storage and charge up the arse for storage tiers, in addition to making it a disposable device, since it doesn't have a replaceable battery and those do expire. That's why I think I'll just take a pass on the Kool Aid, thank you very much, but I see that you're really enjoying yours :cool:

The battery thing is a non-issue for most iPhone users. By the time it dies, the new iPhone will have come out and they'll have replaced their perfectly functional iPhone with the shiny new iPhone. You know, the one with the wifi's and the 32 gee-bees.

It ain't a buzzword, and you are thinking about it in the wrong way. It's not about what the buying public will do with it, it's about what the developers can do with the phone. It translates to (usually) better and more innovative apps because developers are not constrained to a specific set of tools/jail that apple os have laid out.

Like what? Give me a concrete example of what app an average user would need that can only be filled in by an open source app?

You're talkin' about a handset that doesn't function well as a phone in the first place.. Then the Almighty Jobs (blessed be His name) decided to do away with external storage and charge up the arse for storage tiers, in addition to making it a disposable device, since it doesn't have a replaceable battery and those do expire. That's why I think I'll just take a pass on the Kool Aid, thank you very much, but I see that you're really enjoying yours :cool:

The iphone doesn't function well as a phone? That is laughable. I have never had a single reception issue. It works very well as a phone and if you actually used one you would know that. I know many people have have never had a single issue other than maybe a few early adopters but early adopters of all tech have issues.

Sure it doesn't have expandable storage but for 99% of users that isn't an issue. How much storage are you rocking? I have yet to even fill half of my 32gb. Most people will never ever require more than 16gig on a phone let alone the 30 gig. Or are you going to tell me you are swapping out multiple 16/32gig cards on your phone on a regular basis. Like I said its not an issue.

How many years do you honestly keep your phone? To be concerned about battery expiring you must be rocking a phone from 2006 right now. Again this is something that isn't an issue for 99% of cell phone users out there. How many times have you replaced the battery on your phone? I've never ever had to replace the battery on a cell phone since my first one in 1998. non issue I'll take the supperior battery life of the iphone 4 in exchange for not being able to replace it.

There is no kool aid here. I have used both Andoid (work phone) and iphone (personal) and I prefer iphone (iOS) based on my experience nothing more. I love how Andoid fanboys have to go out of their way to trash the iphone they must feel threatened to lash out. All I have done is defend my phone I never attacked Android users. I mentioned the real problems with fragmentation that keeps some of the top app developers out of the market and will become an issue for non tech savy users as the Android market grows. I rather like some of the features (widgets are great) but my preference of iOS is based on experience and what works well for me. The iphone handset is better quality than most android handsets (I have a Galaxy S right in front of me now) that is a fact echoed by most andoid users who play with my phone. I could point out the features missing on each handset (missing flashes or front facing cameras etc) available but there are enough web comparisons out there.

I

Last edited:

It's actually not at all difficult to remove the battery in the iPhone 4. Remove the 2 phillips head screws from the bottom and slide the back cover off.

iPhone-4-teardown-back-panel-battery-iFixIt-580x435.jpg

It's actually not at all difficult to remove the battery in the iPhone 4. Remove the 2 phillips head screws from the bottom and slide the back cover off.

That is awesome! I admitadly busted my old 3G trying to open it.. this seems much easyer.

LOL @ complaining about replacing a battery on a phone. This is the perfect example how absolutely pathetic the haters are. I mean its really pathetic to talk about a replaceable battery. In the 10 years of owning phones not once have I ever had to or wanted to replace my battery. Whether they were Motorola's, Kyoceras, Nokias, BBs and on my iPhones, its such a non issue.

You already have to buy anti-virus for Android phones because they are vulnerable to viruses now. So now I have to worry about Viruses on my phone now...wonderful. Yay for open source!

Flash are we still debating this damn near extinct and brutal tech? There are more video sites on the net that are HTML5 these days than flash. The only thing your gonna be missing is flash ads.

Your gonna see the effects of fragmentation soon enough. Your gonna have apps written for certain devices and only certain devices. Your gonna have certain carriers pushing out certain updates for certain handsets.

Tech ******* love to bag on Apple with the same tired excuses "People only buy them to look cool" Yeah the hundreds of millions of iPod users, the million upon millions of iPhone users, the millions of iPad users are all "hipsters" "wannabes" what a load of horseshoit. They hate to admit the fact that Apple makes great products that bring ease of use, stability and safety to a whole new world of customers. They hate admitting that the ugly, convoluted, buggy, virus ladden crap thats been the standard in the tech world is finally being seen for the crap that it is.

Until Android can download and play movies from iTunes, I'll stick with my iPhone 3G. It's really great having the ability to hook the iPhone video cradle up to any TV and watch movies at the cottage, down south or in another room of the house. While I don't see the value in watching movies on the unit, I still do it from time to time, waiting for flights, etc. As a package, I think the iPhone has a lot of utility. Then there's the compatibility with Apple Tv.

I think the open source is going to clutter and obscure the decent apps from the junk. It's bad enough with iTunes apps. My mom has the HTC, which she found hard to navigate. When outside in the sun, the iPhone screen is crisp and clear whereas the HTC is very difficult to see.......you really have to be in the shade.

Yeah, sales are way up for the android, but then again, they do have many versions - low cost to expensive.......models that don't even compare to the iPhone. In addition, Apple couldn't supply enough units - you still can't walk into a Rogers store and buy even the lowly 4G with 16GB......I can see why people would get frusterated and just opt for an Android product. They would have been much better off offering a 32GB and 64GB version with the higher definition camera and video capabilities and putting better production in place. So no wonder. :rolleyes:

Apple has a developed a great foundation with iTunes - I have an extensive library.........so it's not really a sheeple thing, just a matter of utility and ease of succession for newer generation iPhones. In the future, I'll probably upgrade to the iPhone 4G 32GB or 64GB version if it ever becomes available. Who knows, maybe a true 4G iPhone is in the works.

Last edited:
I too have never needed to replace a battery in any of my cell phones. Its laughable to point to iPhones built-in battery as a fault... the battery in most cases will likely outlast the rest of the handset. By the time the battery croaks, you'll have bought a new phone anyway.

Android is a fragmented POS spread across 20 different versions and 100 different physical products, with 10 different manufacturers creating 10 different layered interfaces on top of the base OS. Its a joke. I'd hate to have to develop for such a crappy platform and I think this shows in the marketplace. How many different app markets are there for Android now? Like 5? 10? The only reason Google holds such a high mobile market share is because there are so many different devices using their OS... HTC alone pumps out a new Android device every month, if not more often. The worst of it is that you sometimes can't even get an update to the OS. Take the Sony X10 for example, when it came out it shipped with an already obsolete version of Android... its now almost end of 2010 and they finally got around to upgrading to 2.1.... and that ones already taken over by 2.2

The reason Apple succeeds is because of the locked harwdare/software combos. They don't have to build an OS to please 30 different hardware manufacturers. And developers don't have to code software for 30 different handsets running 50 different OS versions.

Droid: Flash. Open. <<-->> Apple: Sans Flash. Proprietary.
Droid: For Dev's. <<-->> iPhone for sheep >;-)
Apple: Arrogant. <<-->> Google: Altruistic.

Your post: flash <<-->> Apple: substance

Regardless of flash/substance, you're still not able to watch most of online video that's out there.
As for moms and iTunes.. There is a while bunch of Android devices with HDMI out, so you can put any movies that you picked up, on any market on your flash card and stream them to your TV without any issues.
I can see that some people have already been poisoned by the FUD being spread by Cult-leader Steve.. The fragmentation is more along the lines of additional features on top of the OS. That's why packages running on Motorola's 2.1 will run on HTC's 2.1 without any issues.
The reason Apple succeeds is that they used marketing effectively to create a cult and brainwash people into thinking that one choice is all they need.. Then they attack the "commie" Open Source platform users :D

Google: Altruistic.

Google altruistic? Are you on crack? Some of Google's CEO Eric Schmidt's latest quoted gems:

"Want privacy? Change your name!"

"Don't like your house has been photographed? Move"

Then again, you may not know what altruistic means.

Google altruistic? Are you on crack? Some of Google's CEO Eric Schmidt's latest quoted gems:
"Want privacy? Change your name!"
"Don't like your house has been photographed? Move"
Then again, you may not know what altruistic means.

Well, I don't know if I'd call'em altruistic, but they do invest millions every year in unaffiliated open source projects through Google Summer of Code, so that's a big plus in my books.
Better than the guy who says "Good artists copy, great artists steal" and then tries to sue competition out of existence, by taking credit for ideas his company did not come up with and unleashing the hounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
Edit: My apologies to iphone/ipad users. You will have to download a special package ("app") to watch this video :cool:

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if I'd call'em altruistic, but they do invest millions every year in unaffiliated open source projects through Google Summer of Code, so that's a big plus in my books.
Better than the guy who says "Good artists copy, great artists steal" and then tries to sue competition out of existence, by taking credit for ideas his company did not come up with and unleashing the hounds.
Edit: My apologies to iphone/ipad users. You will have to download a special package ("app") to watch this video :cool:

Picaso said that and Steve Jobs quoted. I dont see a problem with it at all, people do that all the time and usually build and innovate on it.

Not sure what you mean with ipad and iphone users needing to download a special package (app) for that link, every iPhone and iPad can play that link the day they take the plastic off the device. It was rather difficult though, I had to touch the link with my finger, yah hard stuff. The worst part was when the video started playing, such a terrible device.

you know youtube and most other sites play everything in html5 for iphone/winmo (winmo's flash is at v7, which is useless).

And how is that not beneficial to their own bottom line? This is altruistic. Bill gates gave $220 million of his own money to the Gates Foundation which finances children's education, vaccinations, TB research, and tropical disease studies. I don't see Sergey or Larry making any philanthropic overtures like that.

Last edited:
30b3gv6.jpg

I had the Google Nexus one phone... awesome phone, love the Android OS. BUT !!!!
It has a fatal flaw.... Its SMS handling has some error in it. I`ve tried the newest firmware, and its an ongoing problem with some of the versions. As far as I know, it hasnt been fixed. It doesnt matter if you switch to 3rd party SMS software or change the phone. If you are using certain versions of the firmware, your SMS`s may not go to their intended recipients ... it may go to someone who you have recently sent a text to.

Because of this fatal flaw, I had to switch back to the iphone. The fact that google refuses to recognize the problem as legit also bothers me. But still love the phone ... and mine came with a Keeley Hazel wallpaper.... drooooool....

Too many open source computer geeks are bringing their gospel to smartphones. Too bad it makes absolutely no sense and has no relevance whatsoever.

Android is garbage. Its not standardized at all and manufacturers butcher the hell out of it for use on their devices. Not to mention a new version comes out every other week and most mfgs dont update their devices nearly often enough.

Junk, junk, junk. It wouldve been 10x better had google done what apple did and just stuck to actually putting out their own phones instead of licencing the OS to anybody who wants to put some crappy phone on the market.

"open source" lol give your head a shake, the iphone can do everything that an android phone can do, except better and faster, and more safely. Android is a cluster****, a neverending beta. But computer dweebs love to tinker with crappy open source beta software... Whereas people who want quality out of the box will go to apple.

Too many open source computer geeks are bringing their gospel to smartphones. Too bad it makes absolutely no sense and has no relevance whatsoever.

Android is garbage. Its not standardized at all and manufacturers butcher the hell out of it for use on their devices. Not to mention a new version comes out every other week and most mfgs dont update their devices nearly often enough.

Junk, junk, junk. It wouldve been 10x better had google done what apple did and just stuck to actually putting out their own phones instead of licencing the OS to anybody who wants to put some crappy phone on the market.

"open source" lol give your head a shake, the iphone can do everything that an android phone can do, except better and faster, and more safely. Android is a cluster****, a neverending beta. But computer dweebs love to tinker with crappy open source beta software... Whereas people who want quality out of the box will go to apple.

We get it. You love the iphone and hate android. Repeating "andoid is garbage" over and over does not make it true. In fact both iphone and android phones are quite good. Which one is better depends on ones preferences/needs. Iphone has lots of features and ties nicely into all the apple infrastructure, but it's not exactly cheap. Android phones range from affordable to high end and lots of folks are more than happy with their features and performance.

I find it quite funny how you (and others in this thread) get all bent out of shape over something as silly as a cellphone. Reminds me of the Canon vs Nikon, Dodge vs Chevy, Windows vs OSX (or Linux) debates. Just silly...

Back
Top Bottom